A Hearse is a Hearse of course of course

With apologys' to whoever wrote the "Mr Ed" song, but #### I couldn't resist. :P

Because of a response in another thread I found a way to combine two of my favorite activities, Drum Corps and Old Cars. Can't afford a real antique car or start a corps so I'll have to be satisfied with free info. :(

Back in the 50s/60s some corps used a hearse as an equipment truck. As a card carrying member of the Antique Automobile Club of America (since '75) I'd like to hear more. Following are corps I know of who used hearses. Can anyone add to the list or give more detail?

Reilly Raiders - whadda surprise with their Bad Boy reputation

George Washington Carver Gay Blades - overheard this one time at practice

Reading Buccaneers - Bee-o-ti-ful picture in History of Drum Corps provided by Donnie Sollinger

Westshoremen - at least Jeff sid so ;-)

With apologys' to whoever wrote the "Mr Ed" song, but #### I couldn't resist.  :P

Because of a response in another thread I found a way to combine two of my favorite activities, Drum Corps and Old Cars. Can't afford a real antique car or start a corps so I'll have to be satisfied with free info.  :(

Back in the 50s/60s some corps used a hearse as an equipment truck. As a card carrying member of the Antique Automobile Club of America (since '75) I'd like to hear more. Following are corps I know of who used hearses. Can anyone add to the list or give more detail?

Reilly Raiders - whadda surprise with their Bad Boy reputation

George Washington Carver Gay Blades - overheard this one time at practice

Reading Buccaneers - Bee-o-ti-ful picture in History of Drum Corps provided by Donnie Sollinger

Westshoremen - at least Jeff sid so ;-)

Possibly Pittsburgh Rockets! Either tha or an ambulance.

Possibly Pittsburgh Rockets! Either that or an ambulance.

Oh, oh :P We have an ex-Rocket playing Bari for the Lancers. I'll have to bust his chops at the next rehearsal. :P Seriously we have fun talking about "way back when".

Asked the same question on RAMD and came up with another ambulance and a carnival truck (Gemany). The answers are getting most interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a hearse... occasionally one full of drum corps equipment.

Does that count?

My Grandfather says that the Westmoreland Esquires used a hearse to carry Drums and Iron City Beer. As an aside, he tells me that the Pittsburgh Rockets put on an exhibition in Girard, PA in the early 60's and it cost the Girard American Legion Post 494 $300.

Hey ech2os,

I beg to differ with your grandparents assessment of the Esquires and Iron City beer.....The Esquires were long noted for their Stoneys beer from the Jones Brewing Co. in Smithton, Pa.....I have heard rumors that the corps parked the hearst outside the loading dock overnight and the pixies used to fill the back with all that great Stoneys brew.....The corps even had members who lived in Smithton....As for the Pgh Rockets, if my memory serves me correctly, one of their early sponsorships came from the Iron City Brewing Co.....

Just my $.02 worth....Enjoy

Pgh Guy

John G

Hey Gruphofer!

thanks for the Stoney's clarification - I thought I recalled that legend from my days with the Esquires, in fact, I believe it came from Rizzi.

Which corps used a converted beer truck, complete with taps?

The guy is 75 and has had too many Irons himself........cut him some slack;)

I can feel for the too many ICs part. Cheapest beer in Indiana, PA in the late 70s. $1.25 for a 6 pack of 16 ouncers that were almost out of date. B) (And the sunglasses are for the next days hangover.)