Best Looking Drums

PercussionMafia

I'm usually a fan of the Dynasty drums that BD uses. I love that marble covering they have on the shell. Also liked Cavies new set of drums this year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspires from Japan had experimental Pearls with kevlar shells. They were 2x louder than any snares I have heard before and a bit lighter.

The shells were not completely made of kevlar. There was some wood in them. The kevlar is the outer layer. However, it does make a difference in sound and weight. I didn't carry a snare (not like a snare weighs much anyway), but it made a huge difference in the larger bass drums. The 30" carbonply bass weighed less than my 28". Sounded a lot better.

Kingston Grenadiers new drums this year were specially made for us. The code on the drums ends in KG, it was pretty cool. They are like a sparkle red with chrome hardware. Very beautiful under the lights and during the day.

I can post a picture if someone can tell me how.

Edited by Bass_Dude

Ok their is some wood in them. I stand corrected. It's what I heard -- all Kevlar.

But wow with eight guys playing snare on those it would have been ars kicking.

I hear the new line of experimental Dynasty's are off the charts.

Mom

• 4 weeks later...

You can see the Kevlar texture real well in this photo.

PICT0799.JPG

The new Pearl snares aren't wrapped in Kevlar. They are wrapped in carbon fiber. The wood shell for snares and tenors is African mahogany. The basses are still made of maple. There is carbon fiber wrap on both sides. The drums project amazingly well. They aren't any lighter because the hardware still weighs the same.

The price is a bit high though. About $1100 for a snare. Rumor has it that a certain Div I corps will be using them this summer.

Don't look for them to be available anytime soon in the US though.