retreats...

In my Garfield days (70-72), we learned all about the history of our corps, but certainly not about the nuts and bolts of "they marched like this" or "played like that"..and retreat styles would have NEVER come into it.

Mike

[/

You wouldn't have talked about retreats then cause you still did it then. However, how it originated, which the poster asked ,is something that should be discussed and I don't consider, "Nuts and bolts" :worthy:

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't have talked about retreats then cause you still did it then. However, how it originated, which the poster asked ,is something that should be discussed and I don't consider, "Nuts and bolts" :worthy:

Well, actually I don't know that retreats were handled the same way in 1936 that they were in 1970, which is the equivalent time-frame. I can't assume that because I did retreats the way some here are discussing them that they were the same 34 years earlier.

Why? Because it was never mentioned. Why would it be?

Mike

I remember getting teary eyed every time SkyRiders played Over the Rainbow.

As a rookie, I was extremely honored to carry the Finalist flag for retreat. Finals was the only time we had an honor guard so it felt more special than the other nights.

Something horrible during retreats were the dive-bombing bugs. We had the Moth-Man incident in 1991 Freelancers where a moth flew into a guy's ear during retreat and he had to stand still until we left the field.

We didn't think it was funny but I'm sure the guys loved when it was cold temperatures on the field. Being in thin-fabric colorguard uniforms always allowed for "high beams" on when it was cold.

We didn't think it was funny but I'm sure the guys loved when it was cold temperatures on the field.  Being in thin-fabric colorguard uniforms always allowed for "high beams" on when it was cold.

That's a BAD thing???

*ducks Kelli throwing something*

About the only thing I appreciate about DM only retreats out west is that the Sr DMs started leaving the field together in '03, arm in arm. Quite a nice bit of cameraderie...except, of course, when RCR and Renedages decide to steer the little Dream guy toward a field goal post! :P :P :P

Something horrible during retreats were the dive-bombing bugs. 

True story:

I was in retreat at some show in Quebec in '82 when the lights went out briefly. Of course, when the lights went back on, it was bug-attraction city. And of course, retreats being interminably long, I spent the next 15-20 minutes observing the bugs flying around the lights (remember, I was in Cavies, so there were no guard girls exhibiting "party hats" to draw my attention), when I noticed a HUGE stag beetle flying out of the lights on to the field. The bug's shock and awe campaign then continued as it flew directly at me. "Self" I said to myself, "that bug's headed right for me!!" Forgetting momentarily that I was standing at parade rest in front of a set of Deagan vibes, I leaned back to evade said bug and managed somehow to do 3/4 of a back flip over my instrument and land on my a** on the field--total embarrassment for me, but entertainment non pareil for the rest of the drum and horn lines!!! (Not to mention the corps to the right and left of us). I've often wondered what that looked like from the stands!!!

:huh::worthy:

We didn't think it was funny but I'm sure the guys loved when it was cold temperatures on the field.  Being in thin-fabric colorguard uniforms always allowed for "high beams" on when it was cold.

Unfortunately, the guard was always in front of the horn line so we never got to see when the chicken was done...I'm sure the crowd appreciated it though, which is only right as they WERE the paying customers!! :P

I didn't know that there weren't still retreats.....I don't get out all that much, I guess. That was a great pagentry event....a kind of "Pass In Review" borrowed, again, from Military tradition. The playing off the field was something both fans and corps looked forward to.....especially being last off, of course. That's where those "signature" songs got played and gave all the fans one more chance to applaud their favorites.

Last personal"clowning" at Retreat that I remember was at 66 at Cal State AL. Marching in The Lakewood Ambassadors.....the corps sucked, we were way near the bottom, if not the bottom, so nothing like pride and bearing really mattered....so me and one other of the older guys, over 18, I mean....I think there were only two of us......both bari players at parade rest, kind of played one-handed catch with an orange 76 antenna ball 'cause we just didn't much care: the corps was on its last legs anyway.

Next year I was an Anaheim Kingsmen....totally pride and military bearing and much more to my personal liking.

RON HOUSLEY

Neck shaved and

no hair touching

my collar.

Edited by ffernbus3

Yes I used to love to hear Madison playing "You'll Never Walk Alone", and loved the tradition of saluting the corps winning with playing the corps song. One year that was the only time I got to play "Danny Boy" except in parades...when we didn't play it our last year in the closer.

wow, I'm surprised that some didn't know the tradition of retreats. Did they not teach them that? :worthy:

This is one tradition I miss at DCI/DCA Finals. One of my all-time favorite drum corps moments was my last retreat in junior corps at '83 DCI Finals. Madison sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" not even 10 yards in front of me. It was beautifully done. DCA just sends us on our way at DCA Finals, but this year, the Governaires played us all off the field...go Govies!!!

BTW, this tradition is not totally lost. Just like back in the day, at the CorpsVets home show in Rockmart, GA, corps still play themselves off the field at retreat. ^OO^

My favorite was '87 DCI Finals in Madison. A not too happy SCV, after winning for much of the year, ends up 2nd to Garfield in finals. They play Russian Christmas Music during retreat gradually breaking formation until they are right in Garfield's face. Russian Christmas Music is one of my all-time favorite drum corps pieces, especially that SCV arragnement, and it sounded all the better blasted and echoing off the side of the fieldhouse. Awesome!