My DCI Review (1978).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV Drumline also played traditional grip on the final push just before the Bottle Dance. Watch the mosh pit happen when they announce who took second. Rewind and watch again.

Bridgemen were the ####.

BD ear bleeding loud.

North Star drum line acted like they were the #### and were amazingly clean but didn't quite have the music.

Madison 12 snares that played an incredibly fun drum book. Could have taken the drum trophy.

Check out the Crossmen drum majors during retreat when they hear their score. Grrrrr.

Last but not least, I heard a rumor that the two folks behind the microphones hooked up that night. Yah shake that fist in the air Pete.

Mom

:worthy:

Great year. Did Crossmen shortened the capes by nationals? (I don't have the dvd here) I saw them in Toronto when the capes were full length and it looked pretty cool to see the whole corps "float" when they turned to move backfield.

Phantom was a good show too. Definitive.

Probably my favorite SCV show of all time. Lots of surprises and maybe the peak of Gail Royer's creative show concepts.

And don't forget the awesome Crossmen cowbell solo. More cowbell!

Madison 12 snares that played an incredibly fun drum book. Could have taken the drum trophy.

Yup, won prelims and lost in finals by .1 in ex and the rest in PA.

SCV Drumline also played traditional grip on the final push just before the Bottle Dance. Watch the mosh pit happen when they announce who took second. Rewind and watch again.

Bridgemen were the ####.

BD ear bleeding loud.

North Star drum line acted like they were the #### and were amazingly clean but didn't quite have the music.

Check out the Crossmen drum majors during retreat when they hear their score. Grrrrr.

Last but not least, I heard a rumor that the two folks behind the microphones hooked up that night. Yah shake that fist in the air Pete.

Mom

The coolest thing about DCI 1978, was that every single corps was dramatically different from ALL of the others. Theyre was no mistaking Madison from SCV from Bayonne from BD from Crossmen from Guardsmen. Something for everyone...

Diversity Rules.

Edited by MikeN

hmmm.

The coolest thing about DCI 1978, was that every single corps was dramatically different from ALL of the others.   Theyre was no mistaking Madison from SCV from Bayonne from BD from Crossmen from Guardsmen.  Something for everyone...

Diversity Rules.

Exactly Lee, and I miss that big time. :(

Lee, I have a question. I really dug the Crossmen's long capes. It had the very cool effect of making them seem to float over the ground. How did that effect execution? I have heard this mentioned before, but never an explaination. My high school band marched in long capes very simular to the Crossmen, and I do not remember us having any execution problems.

Edited by deftguy

No one says anything about 27 this year? WOW! My husband was the skinny contra that year!

I loved the color guard..and CAN CAN!

I loved the Bridgemen show as well! :worthy::huh:

Phantom was great!

Yes my husband made the same comment about you could tell every corps had their own style that year.

Might I mention that George Hopkins was a snare in Crossmen in 78 and other years.

Was that the "Zombie" effect or the "Kiss" effect?

It's just nice to know that he stayed so close to home and is still involved with Crossmen and drum corps in general, no matter what people think of him.

Might I mention that George Hopkins was a snare in Crossmen in 78 and other years.

Was that the "Zombie" effect or the "Kiss" effect? 

What, when the drum line painted their faces? It was from the group "Kiss." I'll also add it was Ralph Pace's idea. From what I understand the drumline absolutely hated it, but it was a cool effect!

I have a "Whirlpool" poster with a close up of them.....maybe I should sell it on Ebay? Nah....I'll just keep it! B)