My DCI Review (1978).

Exactly Lee, and I miss that big time. :(

Lee, I have a question.  I really dug the Crossmen's long capes.  It had the very cool effect of making them seem to float over the ground.  How did that effect execution?  I have heard this mentioned before, but never an explaination.  My high school band marched in long capes very simular to the Crossmen, and I do not remember us having any execution problems.

I know you asked Lee, but I will chime in. Our capes did add to the overall visual effect, especially in 1978 when the capes were full length. However, the judges complained that they could not see the feet when the corps would turn back field......DUH! :worthy: So in 1979, they were cut to the calf. They still had a nice visual impact, especially when facing backfield. Some would say that fast movements or quick turns the cape would pose a problem sometimes. I personally never had a problem with my cape. I will say, it was a pain in the arse for guard......that's why in '80 guard uniforms started to change.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you asked Lee, but I will chime in. Our capes did add to the overall visual effect, especially in 1978 when the capes were full length. However, the judges complained that they could not see the feet when the corps would turn back field......DUH!  :worthy:  So in 1979, they were cut to the calf. They still had a nice visual impact, especially when facing backfield. Some would say that fast movements or quick turns the cape would pose a problem sometimes. I personally never had a problem with my cape. I will say, it was a pain in the arse for guard......that's why in '80 guard uniforms started to change.

Eh, Sandy, you are just as good as Lee in answering my question(I hope he doesn't read this before camp :huh: ) So did they tick you just because they couldn't see your feet? Geeze, I know the colorguard had problems, my high school colorguard had problems with ours. I had to redesign the rifle and sabre book so it would work with the capes. We had to really work on those behind the back catches because they kept landing in the cape instead of our hands. You guys had a VERY good guard that year, I thought they were great.

I had heard that Phantoms drum line played with a lot of left hand leads. Interesting.

What a night overall. The crowd was electrified. (Metaphorically)

Mom

Eh, Sandy, you are just as good as Lee in answering my question(I hope he doesn't read this before camp :worthy: )   So did they tick you just because they couldn't see your feet?  Geeze, I know the colorguard had problems, my high school colorguard had problems with ours.  I had to redesign the rifle and sabre book so it would work with the capes.  We had to really work on those behind the back catches because they kept landing in the cape instead of our hands.  You guys had a VERY good guard that year, I thought they were great.

Nah, they couldn't tick because they couldn't see the feet....that's why they complained.

Yeah, it's hard to do stuff behind the back....heck it's hard just doing a back-scratch when the wind blows your cape in the direction your flag is in! :sshh:

The guard uniforms we had in '80 may not have been the best looking ones, but they sure were easier to perform in! :P They were designed by some company in NY. That fall, I saw "our" uniform on a star in the hit TV series "Dallas." :huh:

Edited by Malibu

What, when the drum line painted their faces? It was from the group "Kiss." I'll also add it was Ralph Pace's idea. From what I understand the drumline absolutely hated it, but it was a cool effect!

I have a "Whirlpool" poster with a close up of them.....maybe I should sell it on Ebay? Nah....I'll just keep it! B)

Hey-"Bullfrog" I know it was Kiss, I was seeing if Lee remembered it that way. :P I'm sure he knows who they were imitating, but Zombies also goes..... :worthy:

Edited by LancerFi

Hey-"Bullfrog" I know it was Kiss, I was seeing if Lee remembered it that way.  :P   I'm sure he knows who they were imitating, but Zombies also goes.....   :worthy:

Me....Bullfrog???....Nah...you are mistaken.....that was YOU! :P

Anyway, Lee may have heard Robbie, Ken or Chris tell him "the story" while he was marching with Bucs. B)

Edited by Malibu

Guardsmen shakoes. Tall enough to be used for Quaker Oats cans.

Kilties rifle dude pops his knee out after doing the splits. As he cries out in pain fellow rifle dude grabs him by the knee and slams is back in place. You can hear the pop echo accross the stadium. Huge siigh of releaf and the he marches proudly on. Total animals.

:worthy:

Mom

I know you asked Lee, but I will chime in. Our capes did add to the overall visual effect, especially in 1978 when the capes were full length. However, the judges complained that they could not see the feet when the corps would turn back field......DUH!  :grouphug:  So in 1979, they were cut to the calf. They still had a nice visual impact, especially when facing backfield. Some would say that fast movements or quick turns the cape would pose a problem sometimes. I personally never had a problem with my cape. I will say, it was a pain in the arse for guard......that's why in '80 guard uniforms started to change.

I love the capes, and I would have stuck with them ... all the way up to present day (really). By referring to the execution problems, I was referring to what I understand was the reason for their unfortunate demise.

Hey, where is the review for The Cava.... oh, nevermind :P

..not sure if I want to see a review of us anyway!

I had heard that Phantoms drum line played with a lot of left hand leads. Interesting.

Mom

And????????

Let it go! We had a very good drum line that year, regardless of your propensity to find fault with it.

Rocketman - lead this left hand!

ampssuck