My DCI Review (1978).

Bob, All I can say about the BMen picture is: 1 is a cape/cloak and one is a hoody, in the pictures above there is not a cape and a cloak, there is a cape/cloak=1, but prior to that it's a hoody=1!

If you have another picture to add another cape or cloak, then maybe I'd/we'd get it!

However if it was yesterday it may matter a little more, but it's 1978.....so I've given up.

I should remember it in person....but....I'm old. :P

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yikes...I only have the recording of BD, Phantom and SCV. The rest didn't make it to tape. Your probably right about that.

Right before retreat a Phantom guy running while wearing his marching tympany did the same thing after tripping over a curb. Very loud banging sound.

Mom

I remember that, except for wasn't it a toss and a handspring into a kneeling position, then a catch??

uncle z, the Through the Years tape has 2-7 and Kilties together, don't know if it's the "Kilts" we both wore or the amount of years that fit on 2 videos...yes, that's it..

Anyway, I'll go to the tape tonight, I believe it was a handspring and not a cartwheel or a roll over, like our cymbals did that year at the end of Can Can. It was a difficult move to say the least.....however I believe it they ended in a 1/2 split but had already caught the rifle. I definately need to go to the tape. Didn't someone do this move in 81 or 82 as well?

I was hardpressed to do a cartwheel, imagine trying a handspring? OUCH!!! :grouphug:

Unfortunately I'm only now able to post from work! Since DCP went down I can only do everything from here which really sucks.

This also happens with Sound Machine, I can only post from home, so DCP = from work and SM = from home - very upsetting.

Bob, All I can say about the BMen picture is: 1 is a cape/cloak and one is a hoody, in the pictures above there is not a cape and a cloak, there is a cape/cloak=1, but prior to that it's a hoody=1!

Is your question whether Bridgemen's rifle line wore a hooded cape, along with the turquoise blue hooded jumpsuit, in 1978? If so, then yes they did. I remember seeing them at finals and thinking they were so cool, but today I had to rely on my DVD to see where, exactly, they're in the show. They wore a long, midnight blue (or, at least, I think that was the color) cape with a yellow lining at the very beginning of their show, and then immediately did a ripple throwing off the capes onto the front sideline. So they actually had capes for only a very short time, but they did have them.

The hooded jumpsuit was visible in the opener, "Ritual Fire Dance/Sabre Dance," and then I'm not sure if they took them off, or just covered them up under the jacket to join the rest of the guard on flag for most of the show. Then the jumpsuit returns during "Spanish Dreams" (man, what a kick-### arrangement and performance of that tune; wish Oakland had been able to do it that well), and then they're still there in "Hymn to the Last Whale" and the "William Tell Overture" tag at the end . . . complete with the corps collapsing en masse!

This is actually my favorite Bridgemen show. They played it straight, for the most part, yet their irrepressible irreverence still came through. They marched the best drill design I can recall for them, and did it relatively cleanly. And that horn line . . . wow! Same for the drum line, but for some reason, Bridgemen's horn line is what I really remember from 1978.

Edited by byline

Yeah I agree Sue, Bridgemen was one of my favorite corps from the '78 season. Larry K. did an awesome job with those musical arrangements! No wonder Robbie Robinson hired him for the very next year!

Sue,

That was my favorite hornline of the years I marched. To put it nicely, they had chops. I remember going to the early winter rehearsals in 78 and after seeing and hearing them play, I thought we were going to win.

They had alot of talent led by Jim Brady. Pete Bernako (sp?) (BD sololist 79 & 80) played mellophone, Al Dicroce to name a few.

1978 was rockin show to play.

Is your question whether Bridgemen's rifle line wore a hooded cape, along with the turquoise blue hooded jumpsuit, in 1978? If so, then yes they did. I remember seeing them at finals and thinking they were so cool, but today I had to rely on my DVD to see where, exactly, they're in the show. They wore a long, midnight blue (or, at least, I think that was the color) cape with a yellow lining at the very beginning of their show, and then immediately did a ripple throwing off the capes onto the front sideline. So they actually had capes for only a very short time, but they did have them.

The hooded jumpsuit was visible in the opener, "Ritual Fire Dance/Sabre Dance," and then I'm not sure if they took them off, or just covered them up under the jacket to join the rest of the guard on flag for most of the show. Then the jumpsuit returns during "Spanish Dreams" (man, what a kick-### arrangement and performance of that tune; wish Oakland had been able to do it that well), and then they're still there in "Hymn to the Last Whale" and the "William Tell Overture" tag at the end . . . complete with the corps collapsing en masse!

This is actually my favorite Bridgemen show. They played it straight, for the most part, yet their irrepressible irreverence still came through. They marched the best drill design I can recall for them, and did it relatively cleanly. And that horn line . . . wow! Same for the drum line, but for some reason, Bridgemen's horn line is what I really remember from 1978.

Ive said previously how much I appreciate that 78 Bridgemen hornline. They were working against two things. First, it was the year directly following the disqualification so that worked against them. Second they must have decided to play it a bit straighter in 78 because most of the antics were way toned down. As a result a great hornline was underappreciated. They just get better with every listen.

We did pay the price somewhat for 1977. We had to go at 9am in DCI East prelims and also the 1st day of DCI prelims where the other big guns went on late the next day. I don't think the intention was to tone it down as much as it got crazier the years after. We still had the cop, sleazy dancers and the shuffle.

Didn't someone do this move in 81 or 82 as well?

Nancy, in '82 your friend and mine deftguy would have done a toss, somersault and catch with a rifle before the final push in "Softly, As I Leave You". Is this what you are thinking about??

And, yeah, that WAS kewl!! :P But not as kewl as that Kiltie handspring!!!