Oh What Fun We Had!

How about 32nd Hussars?

I saw them at US Open too.

Southern Tier Grenadiers had a nice corps too!

"Those Were The Days my friend, we thought they'd never end...."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* sigh * I'm a Sr guy but miss Black Diamond Regiment and Belvederes from up in Schuykill County, PA (Coal Mining Country aka Black Diamonds). We had a weekend camp at Indiantown Gap when one of these corps was there and serenaded each other after 10PM.

For my Senior 70s fun, just check out the "History of the RCA" thread I started on the Senior Historic forum. :)

Wasn't there a bunch of Canadian corps going to those shows as well???

For example: Dutch Boy Cadets, Ventures, Flying Dutchmen, Cardinals of

Precious Blood, Windsor Guardsmen, Leamington Townsmen, Sarnia's Marching Angels (all-girls), Midlanders, Etobicoke Crusaders and a few more who escape my memory.

We all had great times back then and have fond memories today of the people we met!!!

For example: Dutch Boy Cadets,  Ventures, Flying Dutchmen,  Cardinals of

Precious Blood, Windsor Guardsmen, Leamington Townsmen, Sarnia's Marching Angels (all-girls), Midlanders, Etobicoke Crusaders and a few more who escape my memory.

We all had great times back then and have fond memories today of the people we met!!!

What a flashback!! There were some very good French-Canadian corps as well - Cadets LaSalle (my favourite corps of the early 70's), Compagnons d'Embrun, Les Chatelaines, plus Guelph Optimist-Knights, Smith Falls Lamplighters, etc.

<Well you should come out from under the rock more often, Kevin!

Agreed -- although I've been told to crawl back under more than once...  :)

<I marched with Derry from 73-77.  In fact, their last year of existence, the last of the corps' nucleus were considering merging into Cambria - I remember us coming up to the fairgrounds to one of your rehearsals to discuss the possibility.

Yeah, actually several people from Derry did march with us in '78 and 79.  Jeez, not that I remember  many names though...  Patty Rainey?  Anna Morzenski?  They were both guard girls but think  we had a couple of horns too.    Although we were happy to have the additional bodies (we needed them!)  it's very sad (especially in hind-sight) to see a corps fold.  Derry had some really good years --  a shame to see them go.  It was pretty much a domino effect as far as local corps folding after that. 

<Can't really tell you how I associate your name - it is VERY familiar to me, and it is from that era.

My dad was the corps director  until early 70's, then again from 75 thru 78.  He was also the band director at Central Cambria for about 30 years until he retired in  the late 80's.    Brothers and sisters all marched in the corps too.

<Loved the Cadets' DM - she had such a great personality, and a smile a mile wide!

If that was 75-76 or in there somewhere that would have been Maureen Connell.  Terrific person, good conductor (her brother Tony marched Cadets later and has written a couple of articles on the DCI site)  --  she married my brother after they aged out --  One big family affair!!

Thanks for the memories and discussion!

Kevin

What a flashback!! There were some very good French-Canadian corps as well - Cadets LaSalle (my favourite corps of the early 70's), Compagnons d'Embrun, Les Chatelaines, plus Guelph Optimist-Knights, Smith Falls Lamplighters, etc.

Cadets LaSalle where from Ottawa, Ontario and the Guelph Opti-knights were from Guelph, Ontario ten minutes from Kitchener where the Ventures, Flying Dutchmen, the Kiwanis Kavaliers and the Dutch Boy Cadets were all from!!!!

We had some great shows in Kitchener during the mid to late 70's!!!!!

You must be quoting instead of replying - coming out weird on my end :worthy:

I remember Patty and Anna very well - I went a different way, marching senior corps with some of my other compadres from Derry. Of course we all have lost track of one another, tho some of us from the Patriots have talked about getting together over the years.

I do know your dad then from both corps and band. met him in 'competition' many times in both.

Maureen - what a peach! She was such a great ambassador for the Cadets, a great competitor who was always friendly and complimentary to the other corps, and especially to us. I recall being at your home show one year, she going out of her way to greet us as we left the field and congratulate me on my concert solo - something that I struggled with in shows up to then, but finally hit on all cylinders that night. That meant a lot to me.

While I am sure it is comparable to the comraderie seen between corps now, I think it was special back then. So many corps, so much variety, so much pride regardless of how big or small the corps was. it was a great time on and off the field, and because we were all so close geographically, it lasted year round .

No offense to present corps intended.

For example: Dutch Boy Cadets,  Ventures, Flying Dutchmen,  Cardinals of

Well, if I go off of my program, you're missing (outside of the obvious):

St John's Girls, Canadian Royalaires, Scarborough Firefighters, Seneca Princemen, Bluewater Buccaneers, East Scarborough Kingsmen, Edmonton Klondike, Peterborough Krescendos and the Sarnia Lionettes!!!! :)

Hey Barry! Who was the red headed soprano player, female in 1976? She hung around with another girl with dark hair.