Where was your favorite Competition?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorites have to be Stockton, CA(for the GREAT fans) and U.S. Open, Marion, OH.

(Where else could you get a torrential downpour right at the "push" in you exit: "Niagra"? Talk about General Effect! :P )

Does anyone remember the 4th of July shows at Millbook N.Y. back in the late 70's . There were no stands. The crowd had to sit on a hill overlooking the field. Then, there was the show at West Allis Wisconson, the show was held on a race track ( I think it was a state fair?). All of the corps had to modify the drills the fit. That was fun.

I always liked the shows in the Manning Bowl and a the few of them at Boston College.

Edited by Joe S

Manning bowl for sure! That's where we won World Open B...where we saw the sprinkler system go off during the show (not sure what year) Got to see all the corps the duck pond..

I also liked Butler, Franklin Field, Drumfest in Boston, our own home show (the crowd was fantastic) Mile High, Ne circuit championships..heck...I guess I liked everything now that I think of it...wish I could do it all over again! B)

64-65 South Milwaukee Spectacle of Music. This was by far the most significant show in Wisconsin/Illinois. Two days of prelims/finals at Mercy Highschool. There was limited bleacher seating so crowds weren't huge, but I do remember that when you played backfield you got an incredible bounce off of the brick walls of the highschool. I can think of maybe one or two top midwest corps that didn't make this show. In thoughs days we didn't travel like today, and we didn't have easy access to CYO or World open level shows. So to compete against so many corps short of VFW nationals was very rare, and a privilage. I think the Cavies won both year, but it could have been the Kilts. In 65 didn't the Royal Airs show up late for their start time, get penalized, and leave in a huff?

As a fan..... the Dream at Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium.....the early-season junior show in Bayonne.... the World Open.... the U.S. Open..... DCA Championships in 1972 at Roosevelt Stadium.

As a junior corps performer.... Key to the Sea in Toledo (my little, local-circuit junior corps made Class A Finals there in 1974).

As an all-age corps performer.... the Dream..... DCA Championships.... Barnum Festival in Bridgeport.... the Providence, RI, show..... and the show at Madison Square Garden (1977-1978).

Fran

My favorites had to be the world opens and cyo nationals. I marched in the world opens from 71-79, up till 77 was in class b, Seeing all the corps, two days of competition, the crowds was so awesome,, and 78 and 79 as a member of the Boston Crusaders. Those two shows CYO and world open were like our home show.. The 79 CYO was really special knowing it was my last cyo and when we lined up to start we were on the 45 not the 50. so Krebsie our drum major said ok, lets move all togetehr but first turn and wave to the crowd saying HI MOM as loud as we could.. got a standing ovation that didnt stop till we left the field...

67-69 Norwood Continentals, sop

70-77, 21st Lancers sop and lead bari

78-79 Boston Crusaders, lead bari

Four words:

Warhawk.

Huskie.

Camp Randall.

Although the reaction we got from the crowd at a show in Winston-Salem, NC in 1988 was greater than I ever expected. They literally stopped the retreat acknowledging us with applause. Weirdest thing ever. I mean, we were fine that night, but we were still a teeny top 25 corps, not finalists. Weird.

I always enjoyed New York AL championships,,because we always won!!!