Who were the Satan's Angels of Bellefontaine Ohio

And they made it into the mid-60s But dropped the "Satan" title became "The Bellefontaine Angels" some time in the late 60's. 1968 I think, a merger between the "Angels" and the Marion Cadets took place. Marion, that year marched around 60 horns, which was huge for that time!

For many years Bellefontaine's Brass book was written by none other than my first "big time" instructor, Brad Londgo... (better known these days as Mike Londgo's Dad)

He used to talk often about how much he enjoyed going out to Ohio... did them the same time as he did Brigadiers and then starting in the fall of 1961, he also did Fulton Gauchos

Hey All,

We used to run into the Bellefontaine Angels in the Ohio area when the Pittsburgh Rockets traveled west to perform...As Tom stated, the corps had an excellent brass section and were always competitive.... The Bellefontaine Angels and the Maumee Demons were two of the Ohio drumcorps that come to mind....There was always a big celebration of some type in Bellefontaine and there was an evening drumcorps competition....

Wow, I'm getting to old and my brain cells are running together doing drill patterns.....

Adios....Bye....Aye (I think I played "Adios" in 1968)...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

• 2 weeks later...

I can help a wee bit.........Satan's Angels were one of mid-wests powerful senior corps in their time (pre 60's) .......They folded in 1960 from what I have been told, due in part to the fact that many members of the corps wanted to go to what I believe was Legion Nationals in Miami but the powers to be did not want to........I do believe that particular year their were some corps that went to Miami that the corps had beaten.......As for the competitions in Bellefontaine, I can remember my buddy telling me in 1959 that he went and in competition to name a few were, Reilly Raiders, Archer-Epler Muskateers, Kewanee Black Knights and a few other reknowned corps I know I'm forgetting.......In fact, rumour has it that Reilly and Archie were up to their old tricks.....I believe it was Reilly who told Archie to go on with their best 40 horns and they would do the same....Again, rumour has it Archie did BUT Reilly took the field with like 60 horns...Again, that is rumour.......In 1964, Mr Bill Ellis of Satan's Angels fame, started a junior corps in Bellefontaine Ohio called 'Angels of Ohio' of which I was a member from 1966 until their demise in early 1969......That's when they merged with the Marion Cadets and had quite a corps for several years.......From the years 1966 thru 1968 we had the best of the best on our instructional staff, with the likes of Tru Crawford on brass arranging and Larry McCormick on drums........In the early 70's our horn instructor and former Satan's Angels lead soprano, Mr Dick Sloan, went to and instructed the Racine Kilties for a few years........With him went a few of the junior corps horn players who had the privilage of marching with the Kilts for those few years......I am currently trying to collect as much info on the Angels junior corps as possible.....To my knowledge there was only one professional recording made, which I do have, and that was done in 1968, Woodstock Illinois by Ken Kobalt......I am currently trying to collect scores from some of the contests we were in, already succeeding in obtaining American Legion and VFW state competition scores.....Have talked to Bud Parker and Mike Pease who have ran the Michigan City Indiana competition for years......We had competed there I know at least 2 if not all 3 years I marched with the corps........Since Mr Ellis and Mr Sloan are boh deceased, and former members that I have talked to haven't any information at all, I'm trying to accumulate what I can........Any questions or any information anyone has, feel free to e-mail me......Thanks......

Dan Jones

dljones@columbus.gov

• Like 1

Have several pictures of the "Angels" JR. & Sr. along with "The Cadets".

Also: the contest in Bellefontain in '59 left two staff members of other Ohio corps "up a light pole", when someone removed the ladder....... ^0^

Hey All,

I was just going thru some cassette tapes I got from a friend from Florida, Jeff Winans, and low and be-hold there is a cassette of the Pittsburgh Rockets AND the Bellefontaine Angel from a 1967 show.... I don't know what show the tape was recorded from but the music is great.....Just thought I would let "yunz" know.....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

Hey PGH guy........Well shame on Jeff (LOL)..........To my knowledge I'm the only only one who has and has copied anything from the Angels in 1967....Pretty sure I made copies for Jeff........Not sure about the Rockets though from 1967?.......May be when I and some other friends of his marched with them in 1972 and 1973..........I'll ask him what he sent ya......Got me curious now........

• 11 years later...

The "Satan's Angels" never changed their name and did not disband until sometime in 1961. I was a member from Aug 1957 until Feb 1961, when I left the "Satan's Angels" to enlist in the service. They disbanded after that.

A Jr. corps was started in the fall of 1963 and were called the "Angels of Ohio".

Tom Marquis

Bellefontaine, Ohio