Who were the Satan's Angels of Bellefontaine Ohio

And they made it into the mid-60s But dropped the "Satan" title became "The Bellefontaine Angels" some time in the late 60's. 1968 I think, a merger between the "Angels" and the Marion Cadets took place. Marion, that year marched around 60 horns, which was huge for that time!

The "Satan's Angels" never changed their name and did not disband until sometime in 1961. I was a member from Aug 1957 until Feb 1961, when I left the "Satan's Angels" to enlist in the service. They disbanded after that.

A Jr. corps was started in the fall of 1963 and were called the "Angels of Ohio".

Tom Marquis

Bellefontaine, Ohio

• 2 months later...

Satan's Angels, Maumee Demons? A bit EVIL aye?

Evidently not that uncommon, Keith. It's been awhile since I was at the Archer-Epler post- (2004, 2005!?) and got a good look at their artifacts on display all over the place, but there's a uniform top from the 30's to 50's hanging with a devil emblem sewn into the left breast area, IIRC uni was black, white and red. pretty flashy stuff for the era.

Think Bill Ives has a Maumee Demon uni in his collection. Been a few years but sounds like what you described. Saw it at the Reilly show late 2000s IIRC

If you go onto corpsreps.com there is a 1966 pic of Maumee that looks like the uni being described here ... I'd post if but I don't know how ...

:confused:

>>Found it, Andy, yes, it was very similar to those pics!

You ever been to the Archie post to see all the crazy artifacts? I'm certain that at least one time Jim Fawber would have went BITD with the corps, I remember that too.<<

Been there? ... I won Archie's Nationals there way before the artifacts ... I AM part of the artifacts ... LOL ... my last visit to Marshall Rd was with Sky's Alumni in 99 or so ... they had to carry me out that night also ...

:-)

ps - my first visit was 66 with the Bpt PAL ... and yes, the bar was very friendly to all that night as well ... :-) ... in those days, Jr ... Sr ... young ... old ... we all knew each other on the I&E circuit and had a thoroughly good time together ... DC fraternity at its best ...

Edited by ajlisko

That places you with Ray Eyler then? :cool:

Ray was my first horn instructor at Westshore, very fond of him. Always kind to me, I think he and Larry and Chuck may have saved me from getting killed by the visual staff when I was a rookie. :exclamation:

"We know, we know, look the kid's got six left feet, but he can play and stays mostly out of trouble!"

Yeah the community's small enough I figure most of us are within 2-3 degrees of separation. :satisfied:

The one thing that kind of blew my mind was the silver trophy Archie got for the Harrisburg Cootie Parade. Bill Light had to explain that one to me! :cool:

Only corps Posts I have ever been in are Hanover and Linglestown. Hanover has some nice pics upstairs and bric a brac in the basement. Linglestown has absolutely nothing from the years they sponsored Westshore (60s and 1978 AL Nats) or Keystone Kavaliers. Well nothing really in the bar to show anything the Post sponsored except an Honor Guard pic or two, At one time they had a pretty good Post Ever Lasting ceremony group but not sure what they really did. Think they were at New Orleans when the corps won there. Only at L-town Post cuz dad is a 60+ year member there.....

PS had to google the Cootie Parade myself to find out what that was... lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1