Favorite All-Girl Corps

Who was your favorite All Girl Corps?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite All Girl Corps?

• CapitolAires
    • St. Ignatius Girls
    • Ventures
    • Audobon Bon Bons
    • Fire-Ettes
    • Mello-Dears
    • St. John's Girls
    • CDof A
    • Bandettes
    • other

My mom loved Ventures, and they were doing particularly well in competition the years I marched. But I actually liked Les Chatelaines better. I loved the odd uniforms and flags.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CapitolAires of Madison.......definately #1

#2 to me would be the Belles of St. Mary's from Rhinelander, WI!

I was going to go ahead and give the "nicknames" we had for these two corps back in the '70s......... :P

.............Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....................

:devin:

West Coast gets shorted again.....my personal vote is for The Senoritas of SoCal, with all due respect to all other girls' corps. They were our local competition back in the 60s. We also had Montery Park All-Girls (The "Flashing Lassies") and Maryknoll All-Girls, who have the distinction of having been taught by the father of Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart, percussion champion Lenny Hart.

Just got a vid of Audobon but have not sat down to watch it but what I saw (72) was pretty impressive: the other corps mentioned I only know by name.

Never leave off the list THE HORMEL GIRLS as they were one of the first all woman's corps to compete in National Competition at the Senior level back in the late 40s. I state again that if there were to be a drum corps movie similar to "A League Of Their Own" then the story of The Hormel Girls would be the ideal vehicle....you heard it here first!

RON HOUSLEY

CapitolAires of Madison.......definately #1

#2 to me would be the Belles of St. Mary's from Rhinelander, WI!

I agree...and how about the Trifanettes(sp)for number 3 ^0^ ?

Sorry about not including Les Chatelaines, Norwood Debs, St. Mary's, Joan-ettes, Jean-ettes, Royaleer Mounties (I competed against them at the Johnsonburg, PA show).

My apologies

I only had the pleasure of seeing Ventures, CapitalAires, and Bandettes live.

I still love watching Bandettes, but my favorite were the Ventures

I agree...and how about the Trifanettes(sp)for number 3 ^0^ ?

:grouphug:

To elaborate on Bob's post here, the TRFanettes came from Thief River Falls, MN, hence the TRF part of the name. The other all-girl corps I remember around here was the Gran-ettes from St. Cloud, MN, so aptly named for the "Granite City" here in Minnie.

To concur with Frank, I was partial to the Belles of St. Mary, and got to party with a few of them when they came to Minneapolis for the '72 VFW show. Most of their book was written by MBI horn arranger Corky Whitlock, and their drill was written that year by MBI alum Dik Buelow.

Man, am I getting old or what?

Pat

Didn't know all those girl corps were in Minnesota....I hung around between there and West Central Wisconsin--between LaCrosse and Black River Falls--from about 72 to 85 and never even heard of those corps. Belles Of St. Mary's of Rhinelander, yes, I'd heard of them and spent a day over there once looking for signs of them.

Amazing what you learn here!

Oh yeah, add "The Legionettes" from Enid, OK. I met one little hottie from there at a Sky Riders gig back in the early 60s and had a lovey-dovey jr. high school long distance letter thing going on with her.....and Sarnia, Ontairo "Marching Angels," had the same kind of deal going on with one of their girls.

The joys of being a kid and writing for DCW and DCN back in the day!

RON HOUSLEY

Former High School

Drum Corps Journalist!