Bicentennial Rules!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Dalton. He was the tenor section leader. Unlike '75 when all four of us played the intro to "McArthur Park," in '76 one guy played it. In '76, we had split the tenors (2 on each side of the snares), making it difficult for us to play it cleanly with that much distance between us. Hence, one guy had the honor.

Ho Ho!! I've been waiting two days for THAT answer!!!! :blink:

Did you see how many people thought that it was YOU, Dan?? :P

Edited by uncle z

Guard was busbies, drums were tams, and horns wore the "horse guard" style helmets with the the trailing "plume" hairs, similar to Black Knights only all white instead of the silver ones that Black Knights used. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking '76 was as follows: Busbies on the guard, Glengarries on the snares and mallets, helmets with plumes on the hornline and plain helmets on the rest of the drum line (along with the aforementioned orange vistalite)!!!

They weren't so bad at marching in '76 and '77.  It digressed from there but boy, the hornline sure got good!

You're not kidding!!! Wouldn't you just DIE to hear "Tiger of San Pedro" again?? :blink:

I'll let some more of my "old school" friends weigh in, and then give the rest of the answers tomorrow!!!!

Later, Mike

--What color flags did BD have in '76?

White-blue silk with a red and blue stripe (of course, being the 70s, they may well have been "Quiana" rather than real silk.... :P)

--What color are SCVs drums in '76?

They were still using the copper-wrapped Slingerlands.

--What was unusual about PRs Bass Drum line in '76?

Trying to remember - weren't they still marching a concert-sized bass that year?

--What happened to the "7th Place Curse" in '76?

Well, it held in the case of the Kilts (from 75), but was pushed back one year for Cavies (since they didn't drop from finals until TWO years later).

--What is the significance of "Blue Stars East" in '76?

Was that the year they were running camps in both LaCrosse and...Milwaukee? Somewhere on the Lake side of the state...

--What do the Senaca mallet players have on the front of their instruments?

Prism tape? I know they did at one point or another...

--What is the "Chicago Connection" for DM Paul Zimny?

Royalairs. For one day I think, PZ was also being recruited as a temp DM for the mighty Scarlet Knights, whose DM left for a couple days midpoint in the '75 season (she was back a few days later, but left the following year for Guardsmen, where she wound up being the conductor of the Don Ellis piece in concer....there's a '76 connection :P)

--What is unusual about the rolls played by the Freelancers bongo player in OTL?

32nd note singles is what I'm guessing. Nobody else was using them much...

--What was the name of the corps that "Reliable Rondo" directed in '76?

Watkins Glen Squires.

Edited by mobrien

*tries to imagine a nursing staff ANYWHERE that would want to hear about Float's Oakland Crusader drum line* :sshh:

How about at UCLA Medical Center? Both my buddy Paul and I are drummers who marched drum corps. We talk drums all day and whenever we have somebody who marched corps or band (I work on an adolescent unit) I bring in my DVD's for them to watch. Try getting that kind of nursing care your your local hospital!

Greg Dalton. He was the tenor section leader.

Wait, you had section leaders in 1975 and 1976? Oh my, doesn't it vary from area to area?

We had a drum major, a captain and sometimes 2 of each, and a committee of corps members 10 - 12 run by the dm, gc and director/s (and sometimes staff, would get involved in certain things but nope, no section leaders during my years all those centuries ago.

Unless people in their minds who had 3 or 4 year behind them thought they were? :blink: :P

We do need to do a who came from where i.e. east, midwest, west, and what was done in what area as mentioned by Malibu - another time we also went off topic in 82 BD Retreat....

:OT: :sshh: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT:

I'm admonishing myself! Thanks!

Wait, you had section leaders in 1975 and 1976?  Oh my, doesn't it vary from area to area? 

I think most did Nancy.