Saints

A very good friend of mine marched with them, but left after the 75 season and ended up in the Polish Falcon Cadets...which made sense seeing she's Polish.

What was your friends name? I want to see if I remember them.

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a follow-up. Since I wrote the original post I was able to find a teriffic mp3 of the 1976 Saints. IMHO the horn line was even better than in 1975. What a shame they didn't survive. In another time and another place, this corps could have been one of the top contenders, but unfortunatly look at all the great corps we had in that era (75-76).

That Great do you think that you can send me any of the mp3's of The Saints to my email :ph34r:

markchiocchi@patmedia.net

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi

The Saints were an awesome drum corps, and had a great deal of talent throughout their ranks! :ph34r:

They performances were always very spirited, and exciting, and when you look at the names of the people in the corps, and on their staff, it is easy to see why!

And, on a personal note, Sue Brady was one of the prettiest drum majors EVER, in the history of drum and bugle corps!!! :ph34r:

Ah the Saints, great memories. Glad to see the Saints being discussed on DCP.

I marched in the Saints Drum and Bugle Corps from 1973-1976, guard member (73&76) mellophone player (74&75). Also marched in the winter guard (73-76).

There were many talented horn players in the Saints, many went onto march other junior and senior corps. Something that should be noted, from my experience as a horn player. Myself (I went to Catholic school, no music program there) and others could not read music, plus the bugles back then were rotor and valve, which would be different than an instrument some of the musicians had in schools. Tom Swan would place all the fingerings onto the music R (rotor),

X(valve) nothing for open. We sat in a semi circle, each section was given instruction while the other sections would sit quietly sometimes working on the timing or fingering. Once all sections had gone over the music, the entire ensemble would play together. For all the players, it was a learning experience on how to listen not only to your section, but others sections too.

Saints alumni and where they marched after leaving the corps (I may miss some, I'm sorry)

Feel free to add onto this list.

Bridgemen: Jim Brady, Dave Brady, Sue Brady, Steve Kubinak, Pat Petrillo

Buccaneers: Pete Chez, Mike Chez, Althea Mazur

Bushwackers: Al Chez, Judy (Stewart) Sgammato, Howie Pinoos, Dave Pinoos, Jeff Slater

Garfield Cadets: Chris Trimblett, Jim Trimblett, Rene Meyers, Billy Meyers, Cathy Meyers, Patty Antol, Kathy Yuhasz, Judy Stewart, Tom Stewart, Al Chez, Linda Ceferate, Charlie Strobel, John Sherry , Maggie ?, Karen Reilly, Rich Wardlow, Pat Petrillo, Jimmy (Stoney) Comprido, Eddie DeVestern,

Skyliners: Dawn Fair

Sunrisers: Dave D'Andrea, Patty Antol

Edited by GuardOdyssey

Ah the Saints, great memories. Glad to see the Saints being discussed on DCP.

I marched in the Saints Drum and Bugle Corps from 1973-1976, guard member (73&76) mellophone player (74&75). Also marched in the winter guard (73-76).

There were many talented horn players in the Saints, many went onto march other junior and senior corps. Something that should be noted, from my experience as a horn player. Myself (I went to Catholic school, no music program there) and others could not read music, plus the bugles back then were rotor and valve, which would be different than an instrument some of the musicians had in schools. Tom Swan would place all the fingerings onto the music R (rotor),

X(valve) nothing for open. We sat in a semi circle, each section was given instruction while the other sections would sit quietly sometimes working on the timing or fingering. Once all sections had gone over the music, the entire ensemble would play together. For all the players, it was a learning experience on how to listen not only to your section, but others sections too.

Saints alumni and where they marched after leaving the corps (I may miss some, I'm sorry)

Feel free to add onto this list.

Bridgemen: Jim Brady, Dave Brady, Sue Brady, Steve Kubinak, Pat Petrillo

Buccaneers: Pete Chez, Mike Chez, Althea Mazur

Bushwackers: Al Chez, Judy (Stewart) Sgammato,

Garfield Cadets: Chris Trimblett, Jim Trimblett, Rene Meyers, Billy Meyers, Cathy Meyers, Patty Antol, Kathy ?, Judy Stewart, Tom Stewart, Al Chez, Linda Ceferate, Charlie Strobel, John ?, Maggie ?, Karen Reilly, Rich Wardlow, Pat Petrillo,

Skyliners: Dawn Fair

Sunrisers: Dave D'Andrea, Patty Antol

Hi Judy,

Glad to see a Saint here. I don't know if you remember me but I remember you and your brother Tom in the Saints, your brother was in the Drum Line. It was a great time in my life and will never forget it.

Before Tom Swan MARK the music with R(rotor), X(valve) It's use to be X(valve) and S(Slide) before we got the rotor horns.

Rocky

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi

Tom Swan started working with my Corps (Black Watch) in 76 and came over full time in 77. I learned more from him in that 1 year than in all my time in corps. Guy was a great arranger and an even better teacher. Our improvement was phenomenal that season and laid the foudation for what would happen the next 4 years. :)

Before Tom Swan MARK the music with R(rotor), X(valve) It's use to be X(valve) and S(Slide) before we got the rotor horns.

Rocky

Rocky,

We were just discussing the valve/slide horns the other night at our Bridgemen rehearsal. The guys that marched in St. Andrew's were telling the "younger" guys about how difficult they were to play. Based on the recordings though, I am pretty impressed with how well everyone played on those horns!

When I started, in 76, we played the valve/rotors. That was an instrument that I enjoyed playing on, as it was different from the trumpet that I played in concert band, and marching band. But, I have never played the valve/slide horn.

And, it's just a shame that we don't have all of the corps like we used to have...

Saints, Muchachos, Falcons, Royal Brigade, etc. The list goes on, and on...

As the song goes...

"Those were the days, my friend!"

Jim

After the Saints folded, Dave D'Andrea eventually ended up with the Sunrisers..... as did Bill and Donna Meyer and later, Patty Antol. A pal of mine from grammar school...... Ed Philpot.....played baritone for the Saints in the early 1970's. Good people there.

The junior corps I marched with (NJ Sacred Heart Crusaders) had the upper hand on the Saints (most of the time) through the 1973 season. Then, in 1974......look out! The Saints came out with a very strong corps and left us (and a lot of other local-circuit corps) in the dust. I remember them playing "Bugler's Holiday" in '74. Great tune. They had one helluva horn line for several years.

Fran

Wow Fran...you and I could play 6 Degrees, all those years of knowing the same people without knowing each other. Maybe if you were wearing your tradmark shirts back then, I may have recalled you being around the Saints. :) We'll talk this summer.

Ed Philpot lived in Edison, across the street from one of the guard people's houses where we used to hang out. He lived around the corner from the Brady's too.

I began my drum corps career in 1973, so I don't recall competing against Sacred Heart, sorry. Remember, Meadowlarks, Townsmen, Valley Grenadiers, Monarchs, PAL Cadets, Cranford Patriots, in field competition. Silver Lancers, Manville Crusaders competing at color guard contests in indoor competition.

I was a mellophone player in 1974...remember one of my parts in Buglers, mellos played the second...dut de da

Hi Judy,

Glad to see a Saint here. I don't know if you remember me but I remember you and your brother Tom in the Saints, your brother was in the Drum Line. It's was a great time in my life and will never forget it.

Rocky

Hey Rocky,

Yes I do remember you and your brothers. Tell them I said hi. Both my brothers marched in the Saints...Tommy in the drum line, Michael played soprano.

My husband and I met while marching in Garfield. Our children, (Nicole 18, Gregory 14, and Laura 12) have grown up with drum corps. Our two oldest children marched with Carolina Gold (an All-Age, previously known as Senior corps, in North Carolina) in 05 and 06. It's still a great activity that fosters lifelong friendships.

Over the past two years, we have competed up north and we've had the opportunity to talk with Mr. Swan and Althea. Both look great and are involved with the Skyliners.

Tom Swan started working with my Corps (Black Watch) in 76 and came over full time in 77. I learned more from him in that 1 year than in all my time in corps. Guy was a great arranger and an even better teacher. Our improvement was phenomenal that season and laid the foudation for what would happen the next 4 years. :)

Hey Jim,

One of the things I recall about playing horn with Tom Swan as instructor was his keen ear. We'd be practicing in the corps hall, and Mr. Swan would be in front of the sopranos. A baritone all the way on the other side of the room would hit a wrong note or have a tempo issue Mr. Swan would go flying across the floor pinpointing the player that was not correct telling everyone else to stop playing, then telling the baritone player to play solo and Mr. Swan would correct him. Ensemble would begin again as Mr. Swan stood in front of the corrected baritone who would focus (or be in fear) and play it correctly. It wasn't pretty if he had corrected you previously and you made the same mistake again....