Saints

What's an "indoor circuit"?? You mean you guys had drum corps shows inside? Inside what? A gym?

You mean "Blast" ISN'T the first indoor group?? :)

They certainly aren't....we used to do standstill competitions inside gymnasiums in the wintertime.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the indoor circuit. I remember it well. I was with the Monarchs in the early to mid seventies. For those unfamiliar with it, one of the best parts would be the 'duels' in the locker room before the show. This was usually while the guards were competing and the horn players from the different corps would try to out play each other by playing solos and riffs from just about every corps but your own! Sometimes it got so intense that your lip was shot by the time you had to compete.

And, in keeping with this thread, the Saints absolutely scrapped their way to the top of the Garden State Circuit and beyond. Thanks for the memories!

Ahh... a discussion about NJ drum corps............ cant be!!!!!!!!

Loved the Saints... loved the soprano players....... they had some chops!!

Bucky Swan took many average horn lines and turned them into great ones....

Hey Mike! Things are good in sunny South Florida! Have not found a place to play that compares with the Mercer Band. Hope you are doing well!

We have the children's concerts coming up on 3/17. I just got back from a trip to Rome...had a great time!

Ah yes, the indoor circuit. I remember it well. I was with the Monarchs in the early to mid seventies. For those unfamiliar with it, one of the best parts would be the 'duels' in the locker room before the show. This was usually while the guards were competing and the horn players from the different corps would try to out play each other by playing solos and riffs from just about every corps but your own! Sometimes it got so intense that your lip was shot by the time you had to compete.

And, in keeping with this thread, the Saints absolutely scrapped their way to the top of the Garden State Circuit and beyond. Thanks for the memories!

When were you in the Monarchs? I taught them in 76 and then when they merged with the Lakers to form the King's Regiment in 77. I was the percussion arranger and an instructor.

They certainly aren't....we used to do standstill competitions inside gymnasiums in the wintertime.

Used to be a bunch of shows out on LI..there would be individuals in the morning, a corps show in the afternoon, and then a guard show at night. I judged many of them from 76-80'ish.

vey cool. that picture/ drawing is my brother and hero.

MIKE CHEZ.

a great sop player for the Saints.

ALAN CHEZ

Ah shucks....You're only saying that because its true! B)

Rocky:

Any idea what year that picture of the Saints was taken? I'm guessing 1972 since we are wearing the old silk blouses. I don't remember what year we started wearing the cadet style jackets. Great picture! Do you have any more?

Rocky:

Any idea what year that picture of the Saints was taken? I'm guessing 1972 since we are wearing the old silk blouses. I don't remember what year we started wearing the cadet style jackets. Great picture! Do you have any more?

Hey Mickey,

It was 1970 -1971

More Photos Here - https://home.comcast.net/~markchiocchi/corps/

If you or anybody has photos, send them to me to my email - markchiocchi@patmedia.net

Rocky