Saints

Rocky:

Any idea what year that picture of the Saints was taken? I'm guessing 1972 since we are wearing the old silk blouses. I don't remember what year we started wearing the cadet style jackets. Great picture! Do you have any more?

Hi Mike,

Hope things are going well for you in FL.

I was looking through my Saints photo albums and scrapbooks, and found numerous photos and newspaper pictures from the 73 competition season in the white, gold and blue cadet jackets. Also found a newspaper photo from the 73 Memorial Day parade and the corps was wearing the silk blouses with the new blue shakos. Guess the staff/administration wanted to save the corps new look for the competition field (or maybe the new unis weren't in yet). So the photo Rocky has posted is definately prior to the 73 competition season.

Some things I have found while looking through my memorabilia:

*A pamphlet from the September 12, 1973 opening of Newark Airports "New" International Airport facility. Corps that performed at this occasion...Polish Falcons, Townsmen and the Saints.

*A program from The 1973 Garden State Drum Corps Review, Friday, May 18, 1973, held at The Garden State Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Corps performing: The Saints, Sacred Heart Crusaders, Royales, Garfield Cadets, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Polish Falcon Cadets, Valley Grenadiers, All-Girls Drum and Bugle Corps of Audubon (not sure why they are not listed as the Bon-Bons), and the Hawthorne Caballeros

Have many items from my years in the Saints (73-76), need to find out how to get them on the computer.

Keep the conversation going.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,

Hope things are going well for you in FL.

I was looking through my Saints photo albums and scrapbooks, and found numerous photos and newspaper pictures from the 73 competition season in the white, gold and blue cadet jackets. Also found a newspaper photo from the 73 Memorial Day parade and the corps was wearing the silk blouses with the new blue shakos. Guess the staff/administration wanted to save the corps new look for the competition field (or maybe the new unis weren't in yet). So the photo Rocky has posted is definately prior to the 73 competition season.

Some things I have found while looking through my memorabilia:

*A pamphlet from the September 12, 1973 opening of Newark Airports "New" International Airport facility. Corps that performed at this occasion...Polish Falcons, Townsmen and the Saints.

*A program from The 1973 Garden State Drum Corps Review, Friday, May 18, 1973, held at The Garden State Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Corps performing: The Saints, Sacred Heart Crusaders, Royales, Garfield Cadets, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Polish Falcon Cadets, Valley Grenadiers, All-Girls Drum and Bugle Corps of Audubon (not sure why they are not listed as the Bon-Bons), and the Hawthorne Caballeros

Have many items from my years in the Saints (73-76), need to find out how to get them on the computer.

Keep the conversation going.

Judy,

Hope you can scan those photos on your PC ...

any photos would help me build The Saints site up.. even if you have any of the instructors would be a big plus.

Rocky

Hi all,

New photos are up.

http://saintsdrumcorps.com/

Rocky

Edited by Rocky Chiocchi

Nice to see posts from Judy and Al. I grew up in Old Bridge and had some friends in the Saints like Bluto, Barbara Demaio, Howie Pinoos, Dave Pinoos and Jeff Slater. Howie, Dave and Jeff also marched with me in the Bushwackers in the early years.

I also remember a show in Woodbridge NJ that I think the Saints and the Woodbridge HS parents sponsored. It was in 1973, August I think, and included the only NJ appearence of the Casper Troopers and Santa Clara Vanguard. I stood at the fence for the entire show (the cops let us) and had a great time.

Every now and then I pass through Fords NJ, OLP Hall and Woodbridge Center parking lot and I think of the Saints. Real good drum corps.

John Gough

Nice to see posts from Judy and Al. I grew up in Old Bridge and had some friends in the Saints like Bluto, Barbara Demaio, Howie Pinoos, Dave Pinoos and Jeff Slater. Howie, Dave and Jeff also marched with me in the Bushwackers in the early years.

I also remember a show in Woodbridge NJ that I think the Saints and the Woodbridge HS parents sponsored. It was in 1973, August I think, and included the only NJ appearence of the Casper Troopers and Santa Clara Vanguard. I stood at the fence for the entire show (the cops let us) and had a great time.

Every now and then I pass through Fords NJ, OLP Hall and Woodbridge Center parking lot and I think of the Saints. Real good drum corps.

John Gough

Hey John,

All the years I have known you and I wasn't aware that you lived in Old Bridge. Fran Haring, you and I have been in the same circle for years prior to meeting and I wasn't aware...wow.

I've added Howie, Dave and Jeff to my Saints that marched other places list that's somewhere in this thread. The 76 season saw many new faces in the Saints, so although I've been told that Dave and Jeff marched in the Saints that year, I don't remember them. The 76 season also had many veteran performers leave in the middle and at the end of the summer. My entire family, 3 marching kids, mom chaperone and dad bus driver left the corps at the end of 76.

There was a show in Woodbridge, NJ that was sponsored by the Saints. There was two parts to this August 12, "Music in Splendor" contest. The Garden State contest began at 1pm (Frank remembers being there competing with his corps the Horizons, I didn't meet him until 4 years later) and the big contest started at 6pm. Not sure who was at the Garden State show as those corps are not listed on the flyer I have in my scrapbook. The big contest consisted of: Casper Troopers, Santa Clara Vanguard, Garfield Cadets, Hawthorne Muchachos, and St Andrew's Bridgemen.

Hi, John.... hope all is well with you, my friend!

I was at that show in 1973, too. First time I saw the Vanguard do the Bottle Dance.... in their concert number. Awesome!

Hey... if I had wandered down to the fence area that day, I would have met you 10 years sooner than I did..... :P

Fran

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kenny Chiocchi "AKA Pebbles" My god I hated this name, Pox on all of you for giving it to me =p. Gotta remember I was 4' 5" at the time. Plus having two brothers with the name Boulder and rocky I guess pebbles was next in line. LOL

Here are my memories with the Saints Drum & Bugle Corps.

Once upon a time I was 8 years old. My two older brothers Gary, and Mark some how wound up in this drum corps named The Saints. At this age I was kind of young to really not know what it was. But I do remember when I was 6 years old My inspiration for playing the trumpet was doing a book report on Louis Sachmo Armstrong. With the understanding on how he played his trumpet and the observation of my two brothers in the Saints, this is where I decided to join at age 9 in 1971. I can remember looking at my parents prior to age 9, they used to watch Mark and Gary play And I noticed the excitement in their faces to see their children Playing instruments and marching. It was this admiration that Also pushed me into joining the Saints Drum & Bugle Corps.

I dabbled with the trumpet in grade school, but by no means did I consider myself a horn player. I can recall being very nervous my first few weeks there. I was quite overwhelmed with all these new people that belonged here. At first everyone thought I was too young to learn the bugle. So I was placed in the color guard and I stood next to someone holding the American flag, for life of me I can not remember who this person was However, there is a pic on the saints web site of a parade and you can clearly see me at the front of the

whole corps. But, the picture cuts off the person who I was marching next to. Being placed in the color guard all in all I did not really mind as I was now a proud member of the Saints Jr. Drum and bugle corpse.

The next year I was placed in the horn section as a second Soprano. My god was I nervous as hell. I really didn’t know how to read music or play it. This is where I really learned how Tom Bucky Swan was. At 9 years old, I was deathly afraid of him. I think it was the mustache =p. Be that as it may, I remember the cool side of him. Back then it didn’t matter if you can read music. It was all letters with Tommy. What I mean is he placed

an "X" on the song sheet if he wanted you to push the valve and and "R" if he wanted you to push down on the rotor. Pretty cut and dry, the hard part was making sure you squeezed your lips the right way to get the correct note.

I wont go on any further unless you all would like me to...but here are some other things I can clearly remember.

UMMMMMM being 10 and on the coed bus....boy was I lucky..

UMMMMMM going to I think work weekend and the bus breaking down having to push it up the hill.

UMMMMMM stopping the buses because I had to pee very bad....they were p i s s e d at me...no pun intended =p

UMMMMMM Oh my god...I remember Marybeth Hamitlton from the Townsmen, Gary Fastuca was hot on her trail. I was in love with her...she reminded me of Goldie Hann...LOL I was 12 years old what the hell did I know....

Im sure she has not changed one bit.

UMMMMMM I remember my bugle got stolen man I was on the s h i t list for that one.

UMMMMMM I remember my pants falling down at a show.

UMMMMMM I remember seeing older girls in their bra's LOL when I was 10 on the coed bus. =p

UMMMMMM I remember Mr. Kubanak putting his foot up my a s s when I made a mistake in the Woodbridge parking lot.

UMMMMMM I remember Gary Kadash taking me to Woodbridge Center mall during field break and pulling out a bag, stapler, and a phony receipt and filling the whole bag with yo, yo's and stapling the bag with the receipt. and using me as his look out and never giving me one....b a s t a r d =p

UMMMMMM I remember the work weekends at some barracks place. In someone’s room with the boys on one side girls on other...turn out the lights and kiss who you want. LOL

UMMMMMM I remember spending all my money in Mass. starving and went to a diner and ordered food. Took the receipt went to the bathroom and flushed it and walked out. Man I was scared as hell doing this, I was only 13 I think.

UMMMMMM I remember we did a parade in Mass. we called the town Mayberry. While marching and as we passed the grandstand we started to whistle the Andy Griffith show song.

UMMMMMM I remember my whole time in the corpse Mouse wanted to always kick my a s s, as I was a smart a s s . He was much bigger than me. But as I grew older and seen him at Mike Wargo's Party I understood why his name was mouse...=p no offense Tom...

UMMMMMM I do agree Sue Brady was one of the prettiest girls I’ve ever seen...:)

UMMMMMM I remember the drum line practicing in the kitchen of the annex while we had both rooms LOL.

My god there are so so many more memories....I have to say for myself it was not always peaches and cream. However, these memories will forever stick in my mind. And now I can honestly say I really miss it all...I miss all the people and friends as they were absolutely my extended family. Over all, we all had a blast and I can say it was the best times of my young life.

I miss everyone and hope all is well with everyone all over the United States or wherever you are.

Peace,

Kenneth Chiocchi

aka (pebbles)

Kchio62@yahoo.com

Also

http://www.top-notch-landscaping.com/

Edited by Kenny

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kenny Chiocchi "AKA Pebbles" My god I hated this name, Pox on all of you for giving it to me =p. Gotta remember I was 4' 5" at the time. Plus having two brothers with the name Boulder and rocky I guess pebbles was next in line. LOL

Here are my memories with the Saints Drum & Bugle Corps.

Once upon a time I was 8 years old. My two older brothers Gary, and Mark some how wound up in this drum corps named The Saints. At this age I was kind of young to really not know what it was. But I do remember when I was 6 years old My inspiration for playing the trumpet was doing a book report on Louis Sachmo Armstrong. With the understanding on how he played his trumpet and the observation of my two brothers in the Saints, this is where I decided to join at age 9 in 1971. I can remember looking at my parents prior to age 9, they used to watch Mark and Gary play And I noticed the excitement in their faces to see their children Playing instruments and marching. It was this admiration that Also pushed me into joining the Saints Drum & Bugle Corps.

I dabbled with the trumpet in grade school, but by no means did I consider myself a horn player. I can recall being very nervous my first few weeks there. I was quite overwhelmed with all these new people that belonged here. At first everyone thought I was too young to learn the bugle. So I was placed in the color guard and I stood next to someone holding the American flag, for life of me I can not remember who this person was However, there is a pic on the saints web site of a parade and you can clearly see me at the front of the

whole corps. But, the picture cuts off the person who I was marching next to. Being placed in the color guard all in all I did not really mind as I was now a proud member of the Saints Jr. Drum and bugle corpse.

The next year I was placed in the horn section as a second Soprano. My god was I nervous as hell. I really didn’t know how to read music or play it. This is where I really learned how Tom Bucky Swan was. At 9 years old, I was deathly afraid of him. I think it was the mustache =p. Be that as it may, I remember the cool side of him. Back then it didn’t matter if you can read music. It was all letters with Tommy. What I mean is he placed

an "X" on the song sheet if he wanted you to push the valve and and "R" if he wanted you to push down on the rotor. Pretty cut and dry, the hard part was making sure you squeezed your lips the right way to get the correct note.

I wont go on any further unless you all would like me to...but here are some other things I can clearly remember.

UMMMMMM being 10 and on the coed bus....boy was I lucky..

UMMMMMM going to I think work weekend and the bus breaking down having to push it up the hill.

UMMMMMM stopping the buses because I had to pee very bad....they were p i s s e d at me...no pun intended =p

UMMMMMM Oh my god...I remember Marybeth Hamitlton from the Townsmen, Gary Fastuca was hot on her trail. I was in love with her...she reminded me of Goldie Hann...LOL I was 12 years old what the hell did I know....

Im sure she has not changed one bit.

UMMMMMM I remember my bugle got stolen man I was on the s h i t list for that one.

UMMMMMM I remember my pants falling down at a show.

UMMMMMM I remember seeing older girls in their bra's LOL when I was 10 on the coed bus. =p

UMMMMMM I remember Mr. Kubanak putting his foot up my a s s when I made a mistake in the Woodbridge parking lot.

UMMMMMM I remember Gary Kadash taking me to Woodbridge Center mall during field break and pulling out a bag, stapler, and a phony receipt and filling the whole bag with yo, yo's and stapling the bag with the receipt. and using me as his look out and never giving me one....b a s t a r d =p

UMMMMMM I remember the work weekends at some barracks place. In someone’s room with the boys on one side girls on other...turn out the lights and kiss who you want. LOL

UMMMMMM I remember spending all my money in Mass. starving and went to a diner and ordered food. Took the receipt went to the bathroom and flushed it and walked out. Man I was scared as hell doing this, I was only 13 I think.

UMMMMMM I remember we did a parade in Mass. we called the town Mayberry. While marching and as we passed the grandstand we started to whistle the Andy Griffith show song.

UMMMMMM I remember my whole time in the corpse Mouse wanted to always kick my a s s, as I was a smart a s s . He was much bigger than me. But as I grew older and seen him at Mike Wargo's Party I understood why his name was mouse...=p no offense Tom...

UMMMMMM I do agree Sue Brady was one of the prettiest girls I’ve ever seen...:)

UMMMMMM I remember the drum line practicing in the kitchen of the annex while we had both rooms LOL.

My god there are so so many more memories....I have to say for myself it was not always peaches and cream. However, these memories will forever stick in my mind. And now I can honestly say I really miss it all...I miss all the people and friends as they were absolutely my extended family. Over all, we all had a blast and I can say it was the best times of my young life.

I miss everyone and hope all is well with everyone all over the United States or wherever you are.

Peace,

Kenneth Chiocchi

aka (pebbles)

Kchio62@yahoo.com

Also

http://www.top-notch-landscaping.com/

Hey Kenny,

my brother, man after reading this I remember all of what you wrote, Funny----Funny stuff.

If my memory serves me right I think you stood next to Valerie Fair in the color guard.

Rocky

I was marching as a member of the Silver Lancers (Dunellen, NJ) in 1972 and the Saints were one of our biggest competitors. It was the Monarchs (Wayne, NJ), the Saints, and the SIlver Lancers who were going neck to neck in the indoor circuit that year. Unfortunately, the Saints always seemed to be getting into fights with another corps. However, even at my tender age of 10, I remember the Saints being an awsome corps, especially the horn line. I think I may even have some old recordings on cassette of those contests. They were awesome!

I was 9 at that time....I remember you guys as our competition....Silver Lancers and Manville Monachs....

John Gough

I hear ya, the last time I remember going inside the old OLP annex was when we had the reunion party. It was a blast to see everyone 12 years later.