Favorite Drum Major in the 70's

I have two

Joelle Allyn (spelling right?)....DeLasalle Oaklands/Oakland Crusaders

Tons of enthusiasm and great leadership

Carleen Tesavis.....Royal Coachmen (NY) this girl had so much leadership and could conduct better than MANY DM's back then. She won many best DM awards back then and she was good to look at then too.

Karen Walker ..(Lockport Blazers/Renegades), she too was like Carleen and everyone respected her in the corps. She was the head DM with the Renegades and did the majority of the conducting even with a future DCA Best DM there. She was above alot of DM's then too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know i would have to agree. He was also very vocal too. I think Rick Elvord (Madison 1974) was one of the best too.

Edited by RobertPi1ot

I have two

Joel Alleyne . . . and yes, he was pretty amazing!

1976%2005.jpg

You know i would have to agree. He was also very vocal too. I think Mark Elvord (Madison 1974) was one of the best too.

That was Rick "Alphonso" Elvord, the younger brother of DCI hall of famer, Jim Elvord.

"Fonz's" white aussie was slightly bent down in front like a panama hat, making him look like a combination of Shaft, Superfly, and Superman all rolled into one. His red horn-rimmed glasses also contributed to his a cool swagger that perfectly fit the Scout image then. Fonz wasn't as high energy as Joel, but he was equally cool and enthusiastic in a more laid back way.

Scott Poulsen was still the Kilties' DM in 70-71. While the corps certainly lacked the quality of the late 60's, Scottie was still quite the showman and a strong leader.

Also, I recall the Blue Stars with 2 DMs around 1970, both of whom looked to be about 7 feet tall and with great on-field presence. Anybody recall names/specifics?

I also vividly remember Joel Alleyne from Oakland Crusaders. What a showman! I had the opportunity to judge them in '76 at a small show in Fond du lac and he was every bit as good there as at DCI. Total professional.

I have two

Carleen Tesavis.....Royal Coachmen (NY) this girl had so much leadership and could conduct better than MANY DM's back then.  She won many best DM awards back then and she was good to look at then too.

Karen Walker ..(Lockport Blazers/Renegades), she too was like Carleen and everyone respected her in the corps.  She was the head DM with the Renegades and did the majority of the conducting even with a future DCA Best DM there.  She was above alot of DM's then too.

He just made it to the 70's....

Richie Chirichella from Garfield....one of the early users of a conductor's baton.

Extremely classy guy, on and off the field.

Very sad story about Richie...

After the season (71?), his age-out year, he broke his leg at a Garfield/Muchacho football game.

He seemed to be healing fine until he threw a blood clot and died instantly about a month later.

Saddest thing I've ever experienced was attending his wake. He was laid out in his Cadet DM uniform, with his shako, gloves, and baton positioned on top of the casket. The entire corps filed into the room and sang the "Holy Name" song in his honor...I don't know if any of us made it through without breaking up.

Mike

I have two

I don't know, Keith, that sure looked like three to me!!!!! :)

I will second that Joel Alleyne as best DM, but that picture that byline threw up there made me recall a picture of Cavaliers' Tony Muscarello from the 70s. Anybody recall that picture?? And BobB made me recall Bill Happel of the Blue Stars doing his thing during "South Rampart Street Parade"!

However, let me go for totally obscure and offer up Victor Borge as a one-time Drum Major for 27th Lancers during an appearance on The Mike Douglas Show in 1975!!!! :whistle:

Edited by uncle z

I don't know, Keith, that sure looked like three to me!!!!! :)

I will second that Joel Alleyne as best DM, but that picture that byline threw up there made me recall a picture of Cavaliers' Tony Muscarello from the 70s.  Anybody recall that picture??  And BobB made me recall Bill Happel of the Blue Stars doing his thing during "South Rampart Street Parade"!

However, let me go for totally obscure and offer up Victor Borge as a one-time Drum Major for 27th Lancers during an appearance on The Mike Douglas Show in 1975!!!! :whistle:

dude you are indeed an amazing recall artist! A human trivia-meister. Quite amazing...

I remember Tony M as being quite intense. Very serious about his biz.

I thought 27th's DM in like '76 or '77 had a cool voice, and we used to try to imitate him on the bus.

My girlfriend had a crush on Mike Zapanta from SCV in '79, so I hated him. But he was a very good DM with one of those smiles you couldn't help but admire, and he was friendly to everyone who spoke to him.

The Zimny's produced some of the most famous and great drum corps members of all time back in those days, and Paul was Freelancers DM. He was so cool to watch.

Kevin Hagopian from the Guardsmen had some of the best facial expressions ever, as did the DM from North Star in the late '70's. He had a wicked voice, too!

But Joel Alleyne was hands down the man. He was quite the showman and very talented. Really fun to watch.

Speaking of photos, one of my all time favorites was the cover of the Combine West album recorded in 71 that showed Tim Moxley (SCV), Bill Happel (Blue Stars), Jim McIntyre (Troopers), Roger Roussell (Cavaliers), and Ray Luick (Madison Scouts) all together in a kind of "unity" pose. If memory serves all five of those guys were pretty class acts and represented their corps well.