Tournament of Roses Parade

Since I discovered that HGTV was showing the parade uniterrupted, without commercials , I was able to see every single band that marched in it. Here's what I thought of them.

Seminole High School

(Seminole, Florida)

I couldn't really understand what they were playing. It may have been because of microphone issues with the camera run by HGTV. Marching seemed pretty cleaned, but I was disappointed that I couldn't really hear/understand their playing.

Honor Band of America (BOA)

(Indianapolis, Indiana)

They had a very nice sound. A very talented, hand picked group of musicians. I loved the patriotic uniforms that seemed to be based of the same design that Colts has. Nice miked piccolo solo. One thing that I didn't like .... What was up with the singer? Aside from that, one of my favorites.

Conservatorio De Las Artes

(Cartago, Costa Rica)

I don't mean to sound harsh, but .... how did they make it into this parade? I didn't think they were very good. I saw at least three to four different styles (reverse traditional?) being used by the drummers. The marching technique was nearly non-existent.

Pasadena Unified School District All Star Band

(Pasadena, California)

Again, I couldn't really seem to understand what they were playing. Sounded like more mike issues with the cameramen. What I did hear ... I noticed intonation issues.

Lassiter High School

(Marietta, Georgia)

Marching tambourines?? I'm guessing that maybe this gave that pit an opportunity to march in the Rose Bowl? Were those purple colored drums? Nice cymbal line - did more than just crashes - they had style.

North Park Middle School

(Pico Rivera, California)

They sounded good if they really were all middle schoolers. They also recently performed at Carnegie Hall.

Taipei First Girls Senior High School Marching Band

(Taipei, Taiwan)

These girls reminded me of St. Iggy's. They had traditional - all girl unis. Nice rifle line, didn't see a single drop while they were spinning. Was that Indiana Jones they were playing?

Pasadena Area Community College District Honor Band

(Pasadena, California)

Saw more marching glocks. Someone needs to teach their sousaphones to march a straight line. Overall sound wasn't too bad.

University of Texas Longhorn Marching Band

I dunno what it is, but I've never like their unis. To me, it looks like a bad leisure suit with a bolo tie. Can't seem to remember what they were playing.

University of Michigan Wolverine Marching Band

Wow, I wonder if they could keep up that pace the whole parade! They were high stepping and they were booking down the road. Sound quality was good. Mike issues finally seem to be resolved.

Winston Churchill High Schoo Marching Band

(San Antonio, Texas)

They had a nice, traditional snare groove goin on as they passed the HGTV booth. Horns sounded nice and clean. I loved their fundraising idea! I've heard of people doing this before - they took a small flock of plastice flamingos and places them on people's lawns and they would remove it for a donation to their cause. Genius!

Oswego High School

(Oswego, Illinois)

Nice marching technique and straight lines. This was their first appearance in the Rose Bowl parade.

Salvation Army Band

(Los Angeles, California)

220 members - with some visiting from the UK. Sound issues again, like when Seminole HS marched by.

Hemfield Area High School

(Greensburg, Pennsylvania)

Going "old school" with the guard and DM unis. Nice overall sound. I was glad to see a Northeast band in the Rose parade.

Lindbergh High School

(St. Louis, Missouri)

Nice trumpe/ low brass sound. First appearances in the Rose Bowl Parade. One of my favorite bands of the parade.

Sioux Falls Lincoln High School

(Sioux Falls, South Dakota)

Nice marching formation - different from just plain straight lines. Great overall sound. Nice bass/snarelines. Another favorite of mine.

"Ku Kilakila" All Kaua'I Marching Band

(Kauai, Hawaii)

Very "unique" uniforms. 348 members in the marching band. Good marching. They had some interesting marching percussive instruments.

Pomona High School

(Arvada, Colorado)

209 members. Nice overall brass sound and a distincy, and actually decent piccolo sound. Clean drumline.

Hellgate High School

(Missoula, Montana)

177 members. I think they were playing Flinstones - but once again, I noticed sound issues.

Los Angeles Unified All-District Honor Band

342 members. I believe I heard Malguena (correct me if I'm wrong). Nice brass sound.

El Dorado High School

(Placentia, California)

260 members. First appearance in the Rose Bowl Parade. Nice drumline and nice woodwind sound.

Benicia High School

(Benicia, California)

Nice sound from the marching glocks. I noticed that they marched concert french horns. Nice marching techniques. Seemed to have the smallest drumline.

Lawrence Central High School

(Indianapolis, Indiana)

Almost missed them, but I did hear a nice bassline. Sorry I don't have a better review for them.

Edited by JBass04

Conservatorio De Las Artes

(Cartago, Costa Rica)

I don't mean to sound harsh, but .... how did they make it into this parade? I didn't think they were very good. I saw at least three to four different styles (reverse traditional?) being used by the drummers. The marching technique was nearly non-existent.

That was my favorite group! Most of the rest of the world "marches" like that. It's weird, but somehow it's got style. Being different doesn't make it bad. Weirdest drumline ever, but they collectively grooved better than most. They were much more to look at than some of the stiff and sweaty high school bands playing tired arrangements of the 70s/80s drum corps hit parade.

And that disney crap has got to go.

I was wondering if someone was going to start a topic about the Rose Parade. Having marched in it twice (LA All-city band), I will shed some light on those groups that I have knowledge of:

Taipei First Girls Senior High School Marching Band

(Taipei, Taiwan)

These girls reminded me of St. Iggy's. They had traditional - all girl unis. Nice rifle line, didn't see a single drop while they were spinning. Was that Indiana Jones they were playing?

Yes it was Indiana Jones, and I noticed that too...John Williams only lets one company (Hal Leonard?) arrange his music, which explains how I know this. That arrangement was the exact same arrangement that was played by all the bands in attendance and the stage orchestra and the California Governor's Innagural Gala for Grey Davis in January 1999.

Pasadena Area Community College District Honor Band

(Pasadena, California)

Saw more marching glocks. Someone needs to teach their sousaphones to march a straight line. Overall sound wasn't too bad.

Ahh yes, All-City's "rival"...they may have had guiding issues, but I remember that they had some weird block set up with the tubas last year when I saw them rehearsing at Dodger Stadium...turns out I knew a guy in the line who I marched with in drum corps...so it may not have supposed to be a straight line.

Los Angeles Unified All-District Honor Band

342 members. I believe I heard Malguena (correct me if I'm wrong). Nice brass sound.

Finally All-City, the real reason I watch the parade every year since I marched...what you heard was called "Spanish." All arrangements are personally written for the band by Ken Dye, and in this All-City favorite, he took the main theme from Malaguena and blended it with a couple other tunes and the tuba part is just fantastic. If you listened closely (as I did), you could also hear them playing Santana's "Everybody's Everything" while the camera was still on the float in front of them...also a favorite. If you then happened to flip over to the Travel Channel right after seeing them on HGTV, as I did (their camera was right after the turn, HGTV was right before it)...you could hear them playing "Celebration"

Edited by tubawarrior

As the former head visual guy for the Official Tournament of Roses Honor Band (1987-1991), I can assure you the tubas are supposed to be "crooked". It's actually supposed to be an arc sort of "capping" the end of the parade block. We started this if I'm not mistaken in 1986 when I was drum major of the band, and Dr. James Arnwine first started.

And yes...LA City Unified is DEFINITELY the "rival" band of TofR! But it's always been a friendly rivalry, right Tubawarrior?? As a matter of fact, I remember the fun days at Dodger Stadium when we would circle around and around and around the stadium, and you guys were always on the opposite side of the stadium from us so we wouldn't bug each other during rehearsals. Cool stuff. Too bad our bands didn't get together and have a face off like in "Drumline" or something!!! HAAAAAA!!!!

Oh...and MAJOR props to El Dorado...by far the BEST sounding band in the whole parade.

And just a note to the reviewer, bands for the Rose Parade are not always selected on how "good" they are, but sometimes on their UNIQUENESS. We had the Jordanian Army Band one year back when I was involved, and they performed at BandFest. Funny to see a military band from another country doing 15 minutes of back and forth countermarches across the football field. Not "good", but certainly unique.

oh yes, it was friendly...but gotta ask you...Pasadena Unified School District All Star Band? wasn't half the point of "PCC" (as we called them) that all the high school kids joined them for the parade?

also i'm trying to purchase a VK through the years video, and everyone said you were the man to ask...anything?

The Pasadena All-star HS band is actually the creation of Kerry Willett, band director at Marshall Fundamental HS in Pasadena, and wife of Thom Willett (drum corps alum, and staffer with Impulse)...like LA All-City, they are composed of member solely from Pasadena high schools (Pasadena, John Muir, Blair, Pasadena Poly, and Marshall). PCC Honor Band is more of a group comprised of high schoolers from around the area and is extremely difficult to make (auditions are quite tough).

As for the parade overall - some incredible groups...and, I too loved the group from Costa Rica...just wonderfully different (and those bass drum being flung around the players' necks was sweet!!!).

I traveled with Lawrence Central HS...not enough attention given to this band...not only being the Indiana HS Band State Champion, but also BOA Grand Champion...they looked and sounded great!

I have no affiliation...just traveled with them as a "hanger-on"...