"Off season" where do the stats come from?

I guess I don't understand how it works for those doing the off season league. Where do the stats come from? From what I see there are only really 3 different ways to do it....

-Random generation: problem with this would be that there is not really any way to strategise then, since it is all completely random.

-Made up by someone: same problem as above. Plus that person wouldn't be able to participate.

-Using old stats: problem with this is that everyone would already know the outcome. Someone could look at the old stats and be able to know a wining combonation before it even started.

So what that said, how IS it being done?

Ok, here is how it works.

1. We are using the captions from the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

2. When a corps does not perform on a certain day, you get a generated score. The way this works is we use a Trend formula to determine the caption score. So for instance if you picked Cavis 04 for GE Visual, and you have a show on July 18, but the Cavis dont, then you get the generated score.

3. You can come up with an approximate for your finals score, but the way it is set up, all of the finals scores will be generated. Plus with about 50 different captions to choose from, it takes some work to come up with the best score.

That is the best explanation I can come up with. The only difference for the live season will be that you use the scores from the current season only. Hope it helps....

interesting. ok. I guess since nobody knows the full formulas, you can still kinna figure out good combinations but you will never really know for sure the best since you dont know the formulas. For me I guess it kind of defeats the purpose of a fantasy league but whatever floats your boat. I'll be back in this spring for next season though.

TREND in Excel is a line fitting command. Nothing top-secret or random about it. The only other thing that has been added to the generated scores was a score percentage of Finals score.

Example. If a corps scores 19.9 in Performace Brass and had a Finals score of 96.5, the score percentage would be .206. When the score is generated from the line fitted equation (interpolated), then that will be muliplied by the score percentage. I then take a weighed average of the caption percentage and twice the interpolated caption score to get the final caption score.

Okay...to explain it simpler.

Say a corps you chose for caption didn't have a show in June 15th. The score percentage from the privous year was .206. The generated final score was 73.4 and the generated caption score was 14.6.

The caption percentage would then be .206*73.4 = 15.12.

Thus the final caption score would be (2*14.6+15.12)/2 = 14.77.

This creates variability in the score so one will won't be expecting the scores to continually go up.

Clear as mud?? B)