1988 DCI REVIEW

Keep tellin' yourself that.

Madison 88 was a great 5th place kinda corps. I really like 88 Madison, but it was a gift, IMO.

Bollocks, they won because they had the best balance all around the captions. They won all three shows, quarters, semis, and finals...AND they did it without the judges knowing how the others had scored and where the placings were. In my view the "fairest" DCI of those days. BD was cleaning up most of the season because of their fantastic hornline, but the judges wised up by early August and realized that the emperor had no clothes! BDs visual was NOT in the top 4.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say that I absolutely loved Madison that night. I didn't mean the above in a bad way. I just think SCV was better that night, and they gave them the title to their not as good 89 show to make up for the fact that they made an error in 88.

Madison was definitely 2nd in my book, though. Of course, that's why I'm not a judge. :)

Ok, are you crazy? You think DCI screwed Phantom out of a title in 1989 because the judges realized they made a mistake the year before and should have given the title to SCV? It doesn't work that way. If it did Phantom would be 1990 champions. Oh, then the Cadets would have to win in 1991 and Star would have to win in 1992 and Cavies in 1993. It doesn't work that way. So you think the wrong corps won both years, but you think it (about 1989) for the wrong reasons!

Bollocks, they won because they had the best balance all around the captions.  They won all three shows, quarters, semis, and finals...AND they did it without the judges knowing how the others had scored and where the placings were.  In my view the "fairest" DCI of those days. BD was cleaning up most of the season because of their fantastic hornline, but the judges wised up by early August and realized that the emperor had no clothes!  BDs visual was NOT in the top 4.

Thanks, but we didn't win quarters. There were no quarters that year. But, the rest of your assessment is correct. It's absurd that people think the judging was unfair, but as you said the judges from finals had no idea what the judges from semifinals did, and we won by 1.2 in semifinals. Considering a few corps switch places (Cavies/Garfield and Spirit/VK) between semifinals and finals, I'd said it was pretty fair and consistent. We had our best show in semi's and the 97.8 score and 1.2 win show that, when you compare it to our finals score and the spread between us and the 2nd place corps.

Elliot, please.....relax, its just reminiscing, rambling, and retrospect. Everyone has a favorite, even some people that marched certain organizations dont hold said organization as their ultimate favorite.

We all have opinions and viewpoints, all are right and wrong at the same time....history can not be changed, even if the next ten people come here and "bag" the Scouts 88 show...it means nothing.

88 is one of those years, actually a good thing, where any of the top three could have legitimately won.......with that in mind, there are going to be many fans of all three corps that are going to stick to their guns, no matter where they marched, and defend their favorite corps. Had it been No contest, there would be no discussion, but you cant dismiss the efforts and accompishments of the other two corps fighting for the title, it makes you as guilty as "us"

I would have been proud to be a part of the 88 Scouts, age had another idea for me, butthink of it, you didnt walk away in a cake walk in an easy victory, you earned every bit of praise, as well as ridicule because you were that good, you had to work, very hard, to be on top of that slate...it should make it all the more satisfying and every "negative" comment that much more rewarding.........

No ??

~G~

Madison 88 was a great 5th place kinda corps. I really like 88 Madison, but it was a gift, IMO.

I wasn't able to attend finals, but I knew several people who did. Watching the telecast, I felt that either Santa Clara or Blue Devils should have won. (And yes, I know, the telecast is not a very reliable indicator, because we all know how different the telecast looks from actually being there and experiencing it in-person.) Anyway, I asked my friends (both band directors) how they felt about Madison winning. They said they really felt Madison deserved the title. The thing that stood out to them, they said, was that Madison outmarched everyone else.

I realize that's hearsay, but I just thought I'd throw it into the discussion to point out that it's by no means a universal opinion that '88 was a "gift" to Madison (and that it's not only Madison people who feel that way).

Sam, I didn't say it was a bad gift, dude. B)

ps. Sue, fair enough. :)

The memories of that entire night (what I have of them) are worth more than the ring itself. I remember everything that happened right up to the point where Santa Clara was announced in 2nd. After that, it's cloudy and has tons of holes. I guess I was naturally high. I remember singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" to the crowd and doing the encore, but that's it.

It's strange. The whole night seemed to go by in the blink of an eye, yet in 1989 we were off that field so much quicker (in finale) but it seemed like it took 60 years.

Edited by gellio

Ok, since you know more than the judges, please provide an assessment rather than slam.

Ok, sorry......I do very much disagree when dans up there when he says Madison was "balanced" in all captions....

You guys did march great, no doubt, but for brass (now admittedly, I am a percussion guy, but will try), you guys did ROCK the house with Malaguena, but it is hard to dismiss the frack festival of the opener. You know what I'm talking about. So with that in mind, probably 6th to 8th place in brass.

Now drums.....they were pretty bad. Plenty of dirt. They had a beauty of a "unit penalty" type SHLOCK in the drum solo. The tenor feature is one of the mushiest things ever played at finals, zero clarity. The were an 11th place caliber drumline.

Ok, sorry......I do very much disagree when dans up there when he says Madison was "balanced" in all captions....

You guys did march great, no doubt, but for brass (now admittedly, I am a percussion guy, but will try), you guys did ROCK the house with Malaguena, but it is hard to dismiss the frack festival of the opener. You know what I'm talking about. So with that in mind, probably 6th to 8th place in brass.

Now drums.....they were pretty bad. Plenty of dirt. They had a beauty of a "unit penalty" type SHLOCK in the drum solo. The tenor feature is one of the mushiest things ever played at finals, zero clarity. The were an 11th place caliber drumline.

I think you are way off on both accounts. 8th place in brass, 11th in drums? I think that is way low. If Star beat us in brass, I would not complain (they had a great brassline), but I think we were clearly better than anyone else in brass that year (save Garfield and BD). I don't know much about drums, but I would venture to say your assessment is way off considering an educated and qualified judge placed us third. Of course, SCV was the bomb in drums that year and Garfield was pretty darn good too.

Like I said, it seems like the judges were pretty consistent and fair considering there were two different panels and the judges from finals didn't know what the judges from semi's did. They were, in a sense, forced to judge fairly and accurately because if the scores were completely out of wack between the nights how could they explain it? They couldn't. Personally, I think this should have continued since 1988.

Today, I think slotting certainly occurs and it's hard for surprises like 1988 or 1996 to take place today.

Again, the judges are qualified to judge in their field and I'm not one of those who thinks judging is political whether Madison finishes 1st or 14th. Dans is correct.

Madison: Visual (1st), Drums (3rd), Brass (3rd), GE (2nd)

SCV: Visual (3rd), Drums (1st), Brass (5th), GE (1st)

BD: Visual (4th), Drums (5th), Brass (1st), GE (3rd)

Considering those placements, I would say we were most consistent across the board.

Edited by gellio