1988 DCI REVIEW

To Gellio:

Dude, its obvious that the guy just isn't a Madison fan and is yanking your chain. Don't worry about it so much. The only point I was making with my original review is just how great we all were that year. Its really cool to look back (wwaayyyyyyyy back) and look at shows more objectively now. Back then I thought we should have been winning all the time, no matter how dirty we were (ah to be 20 years old, stupid and stubborn again :P ) Now I'm happy we were as high as 5th ('cause Star and Phantom could have easily beat us!!!!)

As for that Mary Cherry quote you have - Major props man. That was one of the best characters to ever appear on any show ever. She needs to have her own show :music:

Later,

Mike

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Gellio:

Dude, its obvious that the guy just isn't a Madison fan and is yanking your chain.  Don't worry about it so much.  The only point I was making with my original review is just how great we all were that year.  Its really cool to look back (wwaayyyyyyyy back) and look at shows more objectively now.  Back then I thought we should have been winning all the time, no matter how dirty we were (ah to be 20 years old, stupid and stubborn again  :P )  Now I'm happy we were as high as 5th ('cause Star and Phantom could have easily beat us!!!!)

As for that Mary Cherry quote you have - Major props man.  That was one of the best characters to ever appear on any show ever.  She needs to have her own show  :music:

Later,

Mike

Mike,

You are so right. I thought we got screwed so big time in 1989. I was like, "How could Star have possibly beat us?" For years I thougt that. Then, last year I got the '89 DVD and now I'm like there was no way in #### we should have been closer to Star then we were. It's amazing how your attitude changes when you look back. Heck, I used to think every year Phantom beat Madison it was a judging conspiracy. Now, I generally believe the judges get it right.

Mary Cherry is my idol. I'm glad my quote was recognized.

Gellio,

tried to e-mail you back through DCP - but keep getting an error message (re: concerning your Mary Cherry e-mail).

So it seems we're both Drum Corps and Mary Cherry fans - heaven help us if she ever marches :P

BTW - I thought the same thing about Phantom in '89 - how come they're beating us, we're so much better - yeah right!!!! Completely changed my mind once I actually saw their show. You know '89 was another great year - only wished we could have had DCI in Montreal like we were supposed to. Could have finished my career at home. That would have been awesome :music:

Later,

Mike

Gellio,

tried to e-mail you back through DCP - but keep getting an error message (re: concerning your Mary Cherry e-mail).

So it seems we're both Drum Corps and Mary Cherry fans - heaven help us if she ever marches  :P

BTW - I thought the same thing about Phantom in '89 - how come they're beating us, we're so much better - yeah right!!!!  Completely changed my mind once I actually saw their show.  You know '89 was another great year - only wished we could have had DCI in Montreal like we were supposed to.  Could have finished my career at home.  That would have been awesome  :music:

Later,

Mike

God, even I thought that about Phantom in 1989. Now, when I watch the DVD I laugh at myself. I did, however, totally think you guys or Garfield were going to win about two weeks before finals, esp after we heard you guys beat Phantom. I think it was the only time you beat Phantom that year. We were about to start rehearsal one morning, and one of our staff members said, "Just so you all know, Cavies beat Phantom last night!" We all cheered! Along with SCV and Madison, Phantom is my favorite corps (cause I love classical music) but I still hate it when they win or beat Madison. Yet, I tend to really cheer SCV on competitively. Funny how it's no biggie when SCV beats Madison, but when Phantom does - it's horrible! Funny how some things will never change.

Do you live in Montreal now? I too was disappointed. It's one of my favorite cities.

Yeah, we did beat Phantom once in '89 - we were all pretty excited about it. Heck, I was excited when we beat anyone - I was kinda really competitive back then.

I'm much less competitive now - although its nice to see the Green Machine up there evey year.

And I've always lived in Montreal - great city - although the coummute to Chicago was a killer :P

Later,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...