Massachusetts Drum Corps Question

Lancer Fi, do you remember 27 doing a DCE show in Saco, Maine in or around '82? It would have been a daytime show, and I think I remember Bridgemen and Crossmen also being there....
A DCI show in Saco, Maine in 1982, and I didn't hear about it? Ilived in Saco, Maine in 1982. Why in the world would they have a DCI show in Saco, Maine, and where would it have been held?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody remember anything about Whalers Drum Corps? I had a boss a few years ago who kept mentioning that he marched with them. Based out of New Bedford, I think.
I do. They started out as The Jolly Whalers and marched in the Northeast Senior Circuit. I marched with the Bath, Maine Buccaneers, and we competed against the Whalers for about three years....1960-63...or thereabouts.

I recall three corps battling it out for last three spots in most of the NE Circuit shows we did...The Buccaneers, The Jolly Whalers, and The Vagabonds from Torrington, Connecticut. :)

Edited by parrotpaul

Thats actually Steve Wolpe, and if I remember corrctly we didn't have 8 black snare drums so he wrapped a black towel around it. I'll looke or more pictures and post them.

John

Neat, I had never seen a picture of Wolpe actually marching! He taught us in 82 in Rockland. Here he is perched on the bus (probably taking a break from making us play "tickless runthrough"s). lol

174365762_5e58b0db00.jpg

Those were such good times.

Edited by RickCogley

Neat, I had never seen a picture of Wolpe actually marching! He taught us in 82 in Rockland. Here he is perched on the bus (probably taking a break from making us play "tickless runthrough"s). lol

174365762_5e58b0db00.jpg

Those were such good times.

Cool pic. How did he get up there? It seems many 27 members have gone on to teach, instruct, help with other drum corps. Thats pretty cool too. Are the wipers on that bus stuck in an up position?

I do. They started out as The Jolly Whalers and marched in the Northeast Senior Circuit. I marched with the Bath, Maine Buccaneers, and we competed against the Whalers for about three years....1960-63...or thereabouts.

I recall three corps battling it out for last three spots in most of the NE Circuit shows we did...The Buccaneers, The Jolly Whalers, and The Vagabonds from Torrington, Connecticut. :)

I remember the New Bedford Whalers, the Renegades and the RI Matadors ( Sr drum corps ) competing against the Regal Crownsmen (a jr corp) in 1972 in the Greater New England Circuit.

A DCI show in Saco, Maine in 1982, and I didn't hear about it? Ilived in Saco, Maine in 1982. Why in the world would they have a DCI show in Saco, Maine, and where would it have been held?

It was at the Paul Hill stadium at Thornton Academy, and it was a Sunday afternoon show because the stadium has no lights. I think the reason why there was a DCI show there and one up at Bowdoin College as well was because Nationals were in Montreal that summer, and Maine was on the way. The Saco show was hosted by the Old Orchard Beach Music boosters, I think.

It was at the Paul Hill stadium at Thornton Academy, and it was a Sunday afternoon show because the stadium has no lights. I think the reason why there was a DCI show there and one up at Bowdoin College as well was because Nationals were in Montreal that summer, and Maine was on the way. The Saco show was hosted by the Old Orchard Beach Music boosters, I think.
Wow...I'm sorry I missed that one. The last DCI show I went to was the World Open or the CYO Nationals...can't remember which...in 1983.

Didn't care much for what I saw, and I think the wife and I left even before they announced the scores.

Cool pic. Are the wipers on that bus stuck in an up position?

Those buses from the 50's had wipers that went side to side.

The NY Lancers were also all black.

They took 2nd in the Class B World Open show in both '78 and '79.

As for Steve Wolpe, he taught our drum line as well from 78-80. I ran into Kevin MacDonald(our bass tech) in Allentown this year and he told me that Steve was way to intense and burned out shortly after the Rockland gig.

Anyone who knew him would not be surprised at that.

CMCC Warriors were, indeed, an all black drum corps. They were one of my favorites. (Theme from Shaft). The only other all black drum corps I remember were the Cardinal Cushing Cadets from Roxbury, a CYO class "C" corps in the late '60's.

Funny, nobody has mentioned the Somerville Annunciators. At least three alumni of Annunciators marched with 26+1, I think - Hymie, Santo and Terry K. (OK, correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by dckid80

The NY Lancers were also all black.

They took 2nd in the Class B World Open show in both '78 and '79.

As for Steve Wolpe, he taught our drum line as well from 78-80. I ran into Kevin MacDonald(our bass tech) in Allentown this year and he told me that Steve was way to intense and bunred out shortly after the Rockland gig.

Anyone who knew him would not be surprised at that.

Carver Gay Blades Senior Corps from Newark was very competitive in the Northeast Circuit in the early 1960's. It was an all black corps.

One of the first corps to have soloist rifle slingers roaming the field...2 guys doing amazing rifle tosses with heavy rifles.

Edited by parrotpaul