Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

The 27th Lancers colorguard, as a whole, is to me the epitome' of what colorguard can be at it's finest.

They kept it interesting, innovative, nonstop, and always had surprises in store.

to wittness the simple black, yellow, and red flags, spin and sculpt in unison was just breathtaking.

The double flags in the 81' otl, the double flags in the closers, the box of flags in the drum solos....right on the money..

Flag tosses ?? again the 27th Lancers take that and run away with it. Sure, theres the Scouts, Cavies, Phantom Regiment, and yes, the Crossmen (great flag lines) but all guards envied two-seven, some were quite jealous (just what was said during count twenty seven during warm-ups ??? :rolleyes: )

When it comes to rifles, sure you have the death defying trickery of the Cavaliers, precision and accelaration of the Madison Scouts, pageantry of the Guardsmen,and pizzaz and spectacle of the Blue Devils, but the overall, total package, hands down belongs to the 27th Lancers, mirror like unison, complete, expressive, unique phrases, and total ehanement of the music being played.....27th Lancers.

Even in 1983, when they felt the need to "update" and alter their look, they never lost their appeal or precision, flag design changed but still retained the signature style, uniforms changed but still retained the two-seven dignity, and the actual work being executed byt he performers was still cutting edge and effective. the 1983 27th Lancers guard packages is completely overlooked and underrated, if you get an opportunity to see this year, by all means jump at it.

~G~

G my friend, you know it donthca? I love looking at all the tapes that I have accumulated watching the color guard and just sit there in awe. Yes I agree with you about the 1983 color guard as well. :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I started cruising this forum I have noticed many people feel corps that are no longer around are some sort of legends. Except for a few (Kilties, Royal Aires, Kingsmen, Star) none of these corps ever won a national title. Sure many made finals and a few even placed in the top three, but for the most part these corps and their alums are really legends in their own minds.

Like most sports, to be in contention to win a national championship, a corps must be strong in all categories (percussion, horns and guard). Now one of these alums from a so called legendary corps feels SCV’s guard doesn’t deserve to be recognized as one of the best or favorite of all time. During the 70 and 80s SCV placed lower then third only once. The nineties proved to be a little more challenge, but SCV is the only corps to be a finalist in every DCI championship (never placing lower than 7th)! We would have never been able to achieve such results without fielding a top notch guard! During the years I marched I wouldn’t have traded our guard for anyone else! My favorite guard is the one I work, ate, slept and won with! Santa Clara Vanguard!

I am a SCV color guard fan, more so then BD. I have always felt that way. My husband just informed me that in 1978 as a matter of fact SCV and 27's color guard tied for first place.

I personally feel they deserve this same respect as the top color guards.

I'm a major Santa Clara Vanguard fan...always have been always will be. :)

I loved the color guard and the horn line and the drum line...I would've loved to march but Mr. Royer didn't allow women in the horn line until when? :rolleyes:

Since I started cruising this forum I have noticed many people feel corps that are no longer around are some sort of legends. Except for a few (Kilties, Royal Aires, Kingsmen, Star) none of these corps ever won a national title. Sure many made finals and a few even placed in the top three, but for the most part these corps and their alums are really legends in their own minds.

My favorite guard is the one I work, ate, slept and won with! Santa Clara Vanguard!

first of all, i am not trying to start anything or jump on anyone, but it all depends what you call a national title.

before DCI and even during DCIs first few years there were several national shows.

since you included Kilties and Royal Aires i assume because they won VFW titles then you should also include 27th Lancers because they won World Open in 71 and 79 and also won Dream in 71 and CYO in 77 and 81.(these were big time national shows)

the Bridgemen also won World Open in 73,77,78,80 and 81 and Dream in 77 and 78.

these were all considered national title shows along with VFW and the US Open and DCI.

so, all the winners from all those shows from all years could claim they won a national title.

we are not legends in our own minds because we did actually win a national title or titles!

DCI may be all there is left to win now but that was not always the case.

and i am proud to have been a World Open and Dream title holder! ^OO^

and i agree with what you said about your favorite guard being the one you worked, ate, slept and won with! as you should! :D

but the guards from 27th did some awesome, amazing and very innovative stuff(sometimes for me that was the best part of their corps show, watching that guard) and this is a thread about favorite guards, so if others opinions are different than yours thats ok!

we all have our own opinion! :)

BTW, my favorite guard is the one i marched with too!

First off, thanks to Byline (Sue) for your support and honest opinions about SCV Guards. I never heard before an explanation of just how we did our flag work (literal musical interpretation) and I think you nailed it perfectly. Thanks :). I also think that our rifle line (which carried 11 to 13 pound rifles) were pretty awesome in their own right.

At first I was very taken aback by LancerFis so called "shock" that anyone would like SCVs Guard and her subsequent opinions of how sub par we were. It really got my bristles up but I dared not to say anything I would regret later. Then I went to work and had the day to think about it. I realized that being part of a Guard/Corps that won 4 National Championships and placed 3rd and 2nd in 2 others, well, that alone speaks for itself.

Obviously we must have done a fairly decent job of doing things right and pleasing the Judges. I would also dare to say that our execution must have been of high quality seeing as how it was during the "tick" era and a sloppy show meant a loss. So, I guess that the "perfection" we so diligently strived for day after day did exist and in the end, paid off for us.

I'm also darn proud of the women and men who followed in our footsteps and carried on the great traditions of our Corps. They also proved their merit in the Championships that followed the early years and I'm sure they'll continue to do so in the future.

Carry On Santa Clara...Tradition!

Edited by MsBusDriver

Okay, let me jump back in here for a bit!

I've been a drum corps nut since 1980...and that's a long time. I also marched in high school and college, judged color guard and taught color guard. So, methinks I know of what I speak.

Just because I didn't mention SCV, or BD, or Spirit's magnificent guard from 1980 doesn't mean I'm dissing them all and what they accomplished.

If you look OBJECTIVELY at the consistency of guards, the innovation they brought to the table and the impact they had on the activity, 27th Lancers stands HEAD and SHOULDERS above all other guards. What 27th put on the field the summer of 1980 alone was emulated by nearly every color guard in the fall of 1980. My own high school guard did a superb toss sequence to "Bugler's Holiday" that fall...modeled completely after 27th Lancers. The rest of the band's style was more like Blue Devils...but our guard was PURELY 2-7.

I wanted Blue Devils' guard uniforms (the split skirt and tall boots rocked!), but I wanted the precision and "wow" factor of 27th Lancers.

What 27th fielded was precise, complex, showy and very, very effective.

Sally

I LOVE getting people to talk!!! Keep debating everyone!

Okay, let me jump back in here for a bit!

I've been a drum corps nut since 1980...and that's a long time. I also marched in high school and college, judged color guard and taught color guard. So, methinks I know of what I speak.

Just because I didn't mention SCV, or BD, or Spirit's magnificent guard from 1980 doesn't mean I'm dissing them all and what they accomplished.

If you look OBJECTIVELY at the consistency of guards, the innovation they brought to the table and the impact they had on the activity, 27th Lancers stands HEAD and SHOULDERS above all other guards. What 27th put on the field the summer of 1980 alone was emulated by nearly every color guard in the fall of 1980. My own high school guard did a superb toss sequence to "Bugler's Holiday" that fall...modeled completely after 27th Lancers. The rest of the band's style was more like Blue Devils...but our guard was PURELY 2-7.

I wanted Blue Devils' guard uniforms (the split skirt and tall boots rocked!), but I wanted the precision and "wow" factor of 27th Lancers.

What 27th fielded was precise, complex, showy and very, very effective.

Sally

And there you have it! :P :rolleyes: Miss Sally's favorite guard....I too wanted Blue Devil Uniforms...I wanted to leave after 1978 and march my last 2 years as a BD rifle....I would have won 2 titles.... :whistle: But baby rifles, nope that was when I was 6 or 7.....but I still love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if you'd have been "Red Tassel" at BD...that's 27's vernacular for "captain" of the rifles for those of you playing at home.

Nope, you'll be forever idolized (at least by me) by what you accomplished as a Lancer.

Thank you for your contributions! :rolleyes:

Sally

And Paul, in defense of "my girl's" comment re SCV guard, I don't think Nancy means in any way to downplay their abilities, skills, and GE, remember that you're getting a true hard core guard opinion with LancerFi, with the same inherent biases we all have for our own corps, which is always a good thing!

After all, it's just our opinions here based on our own experiences - plus there really IS a different perspective based on our ages here - some are, like me, stuck in the "old school" because that's where we came from, not to denigrate the later or current corps, it's just our roots, man!

And a special Hi to BobB - I've sent you tons of emails at work but you're always out of town, man!

For LancerLegend - I'm laughing re your last post!

And Nancy, per your more recent posts, all I can say is:

:rolleyes::whistle::music::rock:

Edited by RobH