some old corps photos

This is my all time DCI performance by ANY corps!!!!!!!!

Hey Lancerfi:

Where are you in this picture????

Enquiring minds want to know, ok I want to know!!!  B)

Hi ODBC, I'm on the 40 on the #2 side. Count 5 back from the point on the right hand side.

I was never more sad when the day of finals, someone came and watched the show and said "the rifle line is not lining up in a true pyramid", "do you want a true pyramid"? So we came thru one by one and were put in a true pyramid, I went from the 2nd or 3rd row to the fifth...eh it was all the same, the sound was just as deafening in the fifth row! :P

Hi ODBC, I'm on the 40 on the #2 side. Count 5 back from the point on the right hand side.

I was never more sad when the day of finals, someone came and watched the show and said "the rifle line is not lining up in a true pyramid", "do you want a true pyramid"?  So we came thru one by one and were put in a true pyramid, I went from the 2nd or 3rd row to the fifth...eh it was all the same, the sound was just as deafening in the fifth row!  :P

Oow, I forgot, someone posted pictures of this from the side...on our back to lay down and spin...they're great pictures. They're in this thread waaaaayyyy back!

I was never more sad when the day of finals, someone came and watched the show and said "the rifle line is not lining up in a true pyramid", "do you want a true pyramid"?  So we came thru one by one and were put in a true pyramid, I went from the 2nd or 3rd row to the fifth...eh it was all the same, the sound was just as deafening in the fifth row!  :P

Aaaaah I see you! You are the "only" rifle to have her head back so far that it looks like you have no hat! :P

Did everyone wear a red tassel too? I noticed one on the 2nd and 3rd rifle from the point to the right. :sumo:

Of course you know my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either. B)

Edited by Malibu

Aaaaah I see you! You are the "only" rifle to have her head back so far that it looks like you have no hat!  :P

Did everyone wear a red tassel too? I noticed one on the 2nd and 3rd rifle from the point to the right.  :sumo:

Of course you know my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either.  B)

Yeap, I am the "only" rifle to have my head back so far it does look like I have no hat, but you can see a hint of red on the screen, but not the white one!

3 of us had them, the person you picked out, great eyes, and one other person. Let me see if I can figure out where she is...

Anyone who had been a DM or Captain went on the field as such....Red Feathers in the sabers, flags and males, and Red Tassels in our case....although I'm not sure how many flags, maybe one, and 2 sabers. From 79 on the captains were from the rifle line.

EDIT: Nope I see a few other hard cores with their heads all the way back....some where smiling at the end, all different era's all different techniques, etc. Actually this I believe is the last note of the song....the dms are still conducting.....and a few other things are being done, like the sabers are doing a bow, that came maybe 2 to 4 counts before the last note.

Edited by LancerFi

EDIT: Nope I see a few other hard cores with their heads all the way back....some where smiling at the end, all different era's all different techniques, etc.  Actually this I believe is the last note of the song....the dms are still conducting.....and a few other things are being done, like the sabers are doing a bow, that came maybe 2 to 4 counts before the last note.

I see a few with their heads back, but not as intense as yours. Yeah, maybe some waited until "end" before they snapped their head back. :sumo: Although the horns are down and the DM on the podium looks like he gave a "cut off"....but of course the drumline sometimes kicks in their last ending. Now, you make me want to go look at that tape again and look for that moment. :P :sshh:

tri-town.jpg

Tri-Town Cadets of Castile, New York in 1971 at the U.S. Open in Marion, Ohio.

There is a good story behind this picture. Nine of the buglers in this picture were members of the Geneva Appleknockers. My corps (Geneva Appleknockers) and this corps were struggling with insufficient horn line size in 1971. Neither of us was likely to achieve much competitive success that summer. One of our former soprano soloists was instructing the Cadets horn line that year and he came up with the idea of sharing horn players to see if we could improve our placing at the U.S. Open that year. Since we were competing in separate classes (Appleknockers in Open Class and Tri-Town in Class A) this seemed possible. So for a few weeks prior to the U.S. Open 16 buglers from the two corps shuttled the 60 miles between the towns to rehearse with each other’s units. This increased our line from 37 to 44 and theirs from 27 to 36 and it was just the spark that we needed. We both made finals in our respective divisions. Tri-Town was second in class A and we finished eleventh in the Open Class. It was exhausting marching four shows in two days, but definitely worth it for the memories and achievements.

If you listen closely to the crowd after the Appleknockers were announced on the 1971 finals recording, you will hear the shouted “encouragements” to the “Tri-Knockers” from our upstate New York competitors who we left behind in the dust of prelims. One of the beauties of old drum corps was that with some execution hard work and a big enough corps, it was possible to make some impressive scoring jumps. It was the only time that we made finals of a national championship with the Appleknockers and one of my sweetest memories. I only wish that I still had our U.S. Open picture, but it was lost years ago in an apartment fire and I have never seen a copy since. (I am the soprano between the third and fourth snare drummers)