some old corps photos

What is the second set of scores? 

Blue Stars nearly broke 90 in their first ever percussion ensemble.  Woo Hoo!  And Z was the resident vibe monster.  BS perc ens peaked two years later with a 98.50 while Z was off playing bass drum with Cavies.  SCV still beat us by .05!  arghhh!  With Z in the line it could have been an even 100!

79 was a crazy year.  At finale I found myself standing next to John Fannin who led the Guardsmen's winning brass ensemble, and who was also my college roommate at Edinboro.  It might be the only time in history when one dorm room (417 Rose Hall) brought home two championships with two different corps in the same year.  There was definitely a mojo workin.

Cliff-

Where's Fannin at these days? Also, didn't he march Squires before G-men?

Thanks

Jim,

This would have been the 71/72 timeframe?

Don Angelica was Bergenfield's personnel director, and he was our primary brass instructor for the 72 season. What he did was bring in Fred to be our drum instructor, and he placed him in Bergenfield as his 'day job', so to speak.

Bobby Hoffman was our drill writer from 70-72...looks pretty much the same as he did in his Garfield days, as does Fred.

Of course, to bring Fred in, he had to let our wonderful instructor, George Tuthill, go, which caused most of the 71 drumline to quit and join the Cabs where George was the drum guy at the time. 2 of 4 snares, all three tri-toms, and at least 2 of the 4 timpani players all left when George was let go....I left too (one of the tri-toms), but I went back and rejoined Garfield, though there was no way I'd play in a non-Tuthill line, so I picked up baritone.

Very odd looking back now to realize I refused to play in a Fred Sanford drumline!!!!  :blink:

BTW, Frank Levy was also on our brass staff with Don. Frank was the orchestra director a Bergenfield in that time period, though he eventually became the band director as well later in the 70's.

Don kind of used Bergenfield as a way to bring in great staff for Garfield...he got them on staff with the band as well as the corps...it helped the HS program as well!

If you were in Junior high...was it where Dr Baggs was principal, the Roy Brown school?

Mike

Mike,

Yes, it was 71-72. I was a student at Roy W. Brown Middle School, and our Principal was Dr. Bernard Baggs, of drum corps fame. He was a great guy, and he laid the foundation for the outstanding music program in Bergenfield.

Dr. Baggs actually designed the entire music wing at the high school, including a state-of-the-art (at that time, 1958, I believe) auditorium. To this day, it's still one of the best performance facilities that I've ever seen. (IMHO)

Dr. Baggs' door was always open, and he was always very friendly, and supportive. This past fall, I instructed one of his grandchildren, who served as drum major for a high school band located near Bergenfield. She was really fantastic, and it was obvious that Dr. Baggs' enormous talent, dedication, and love for music and the marching activity were most certainly part of her genetic lineage.

There were MANY amazing drum corps instructors that worked under Don Angelica's program in Bergenfield. (As you mentioned). In addition to Fred Sanford, and Frank Levy, Jack Meehan, of Troopers, and Blue Devils fame, also held the position of band director. I believe Jack was there approx. 1973-1975. Bobby Hoffman also worked with the band on several occasions, as a consultant.

And, of course, Don Angelica was ALWAYS around to offer suggestions, and make corrections. He was constantly up in the pressbox, observing, and believe me...we knew when he was there!!! (Mike, I'm sure you can relate!)

Personally, I'm extremely grateful to have studied under these legendary instructors. They all taught me a great deal about music, drum corps, and even more... about life.

All in all, it was quite an intense, and very rewarding high school marching experience!

Jim

Umm.....more pictues please.  :blink:

Oops! Sorry Malibu!

I'll get some pictures up soon, and I'll stop blabbing, OK? :blah:

JJ :sshh:

PS - How are you?

Oops! Sorry Malibu!

I'll get some pictures up soon, and I'll stop blabbing, OK? :blah:

JJ  :sshh:

PS - How are you?

Hey Jim, it's great to see you posting! Ya know I judged once with Dr. Baggs....afterwards all the judges went out for dinner. He captured my attention and filled me in on some "inside DCI" things that I will never forget! What a man! :blink:

OK.....let's get some pics back up......please. B)

albertagirlshorns.jpg

The Alberta All-Girls horns.  (Photo courtesy of Ken Norman)

RON HOUSLEY

Those are the girls!!!! They were awesome!!!!

And ron, tell Norman he's a stud and I want to have his baby, I'm turning the lights down low and putting on the Barry white .....

Cliff-

Where's Fannin at these days?  Also, didn't he march Squires before G-men?

Thanks

Hey Scott,

Yup, John marched Squires from 76 to 78 and used to sit in for DCA's with T-Birds on euphonium following the contras up and down the 50. He also marched with 84th Bucktail Regiment from Emporium, PA before that. Surprised he's not lurking around here. Haven't seen John since he was doing grad work at UNM, but we've talked on the phone a few times. He currently teaches at Murray State in Kentucky. If anyone in KY is looking for a killer low brass guy... http://www.murraystate.edu/chfa/music/fannin.htm

Edited by Eggbert