some old corps photos

I know it has been said before, however, I will say it again. This is the best thread ever. I am always amazed that it stays near the top of the first page of threads.

Thanks to all of you that have so many great photos for sharing them with us.

:wall::worthy::wall::wall::wall:

CASantaClaraVanguard19862.jpg

No horn judge got near her squad.........

Do you have any shots of the Bari line in the beginning of the show in the monks robes and their horns hidden up their sleeves? when they turned backfield and then turned around again with their horns up and playing was one of the best visually creative moves.

Pics I took on the 1988 Drum Corps Midwest All Star Drum and Bugle Corps trip to the Orange Bowl Parade and Disneyworld.

Trip took place between Christmas and Jan. 2.

This was by far the most amazing off-season thing I ever got to be a part of. And it didn't cost me anything. I met so many amazing people from corps from all over the Midwest. What a crazy fun week that was! :P (I couldn't even LOOK at a bottle of El Toro Tequila for years after.) It was unbelievable to just pal around and get to be friends with seriously cool corps members that were usually just "competitors" the rest of the year.

Bill Cook at Mike Boo talking at the Star of Indiana corps hall.

We all assembled in Bloomington at the Star facility and took Star busses to Florida. Bill Cook covered the expenses for all participants, including park tickets!

I still remember the first thing Mike Boo said to me. I said "Hey you're Mike Boo! I've been reading your columns (titled "A Bit of Boo") in Drum Corps world!" And his response was "Oh... you're the one." (He was apparently very humble.)

cooknboo-RS.jpg

Rest stop at Florida state line.

Note the Star of Indiana busses in the background...

florida-RS.jpg

The madness begins as we all spend a day at EPCOT.

Notable drum corps names in these two photos include: Jeff (J.D.) Shaw, Chris Harmon, Bill Zier, Brian Hildreth, Julie Slick, Dan Feeney, Clay Wacholz...

DCMgroup4-RS.jpg

DCMgroup3-RS.jpg

epcot3-RS.jpg

One of MANY stops for drinks at EPCOT. This one was margaritas in Mexico.

epcot7-RS.jpg

We settled for a big stuffed Mickey. Couldn't find a real one.

epcot8-RS.jpg

Edited by bradrick

PART TWO of Pics I took on the 1988 Drum Corps Midwest All Star Drum and Bugle Corps trip to the Orange Bowl Parade and Disneyworld.

Future Corps at EPCOT!

The highlight of the day for many of us was getting to see this amazing ensemble :worthy: (multiple times for some). Unfortunately Disney disbanded most of the musical performers at DisneyWorld during the 90s and Future corps is now a thing of the past. <**>

futurecorps1-RS.jpg

Roman Blenski on the Miami beach.

beach1-RS.jpg

Dan Feeney and Julie Slick

beach3-RS.jpg

Bryan, Brad and .. can't remember the other guy's name (sorry...)

beach2-RS.jpg

Chillin' at Disney's Fort Wilderness

fortwilderness-RS.jpg

The mob of DCM uniforms before the parade.

show2-RS.jpg

The Drum Corps Midwest All Star Contras

show3-RS.jpg

The Sky Ryder representation

DCMgroup1-RS.jpg

And the infamous BARF CLEAN on the bus.

Let's just say it became part of our unofficial slogan for the trip.

bus5-RS.jpg

Edited by bradrick

[The mob of DCM uniforms before the parade.

show2-RS.jpg

I think that's my back in the lower right hand corner wearing the bluecoats Uni. I was on 1st bass in that All Star corps.

427.jpg

And here's another shot of my back from 1988 - I'm the bass with the blue and white striped shorts. Played #2 that season.

I have no idea who took this pic but I ended up with it somehow. (It wasn't me cuz I was at the other end of the field in Sky's retreat block.) It's apparently the SCV retreat block at finals in Kansas City, 1988. I don't know if it's before or after the scores were announced.There's something kinda timeless about a drum corps picture taken from the back, where you can't see any faces. I just think it's extremely cool.

SCVretreat-finals-88.jpg

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard at our first performance of the season (I think) at the annual Concord Pavillion standstill. We wore the green pants because the uniform ladies were sewing the black stripes over the red stripes. And also the original tunic (without an overlay) because they were sewing black sequins on the "crossbelt" part of the velcroed on overlay (which had black fabric from the previous year).

It was a serious hype to get to wear this "classic" version of the SCV uniform for this performance. These were THE PANTS MACHINE pants and really did have velcro down the seem.

Doing the shoulder massage to de-tensify.

ConcordP1-RS.jpg

Warming up.

ConcordP-2-RS.jpg

ConcordP-3-RS.jpg

Putting on the tunic and taping the gauntlets to the gloves.

(We used white medical tape from Walgreens).

ConcordP-4-RS.jpg

Marching around to the back gate.

ConcordP-5-RS.jpg

Playing the show for an audience for the first time.

ConcordP-6-RS.jpg

ConcordP-7-RS.jpg

The cymbals always make a "V" at the end of the show during standstills.

(Don't know if they still do that.)

ConcordP-8-RS.jpg

Edited by bradrick

CASantaClaraVanguard19861.jpg

OMG...now THAT is one helluva memory...two of the 10 members of the "Old Russian Jew" Contra Line in '86 (which I'm proud to say I was a member of, as well)...

When we got our costumes early on first tour, we couldn't stop laughing, cause there really wasn't too much OTHER than Jewish you could portray while wearing this...

Edited by Marc66

Pics I took on the 1988 Drum Corps Midwest All Star Drum and Bugle Corps trip to the Orange Bowl Parade and Disneyworld.

This was by far the most amazing off-season thing I ever got to be a part of. And it didn't cost me anything. I met so many amazing people from corps from all over the Midwest. What a crazy fun week that was! :P (I couldn't even LOOK at a bottle of El Toro Tequila for years after.) It was unbelievable to just pal around and get to be friends with seriously cool corps members that were usually just "competitors" the rest of the year.

Bill Cook at Mike Boo talking at the Star of Indiana corps hall.

We all assembled in Bloomington at the Star facility and took Star busses to Florida. Bill Cook covered the expenses for all participants, including park tickets!

I still remember the first thing Mike Boo said to me. I said "Hey you're Mike Boo! I've been reading your columns (titled "A Bit of Boo") in Drum Corps world!" And his response was "Oh... you're the one." (He was apparently very humble.)

cooknboo-RS.jpg

Wow. Thanks much for the trip down memory lane and thanks much to Stephanie (Web27) for bringing it to my attention.

That was a fabulous trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Met so many great people...marchers and staff. I felt so fortunate to be invited to come along and chronicle the trip for Drum Corps World.

But, boy, I sure was thinner in those days and my hair was...gasp...brown.

And having time to meet Bill Cook was truly special. There still are things he did for the activity of which few are really aware. A real blessing to drum corps and a true gentleman who is concerned for others.