some old corps photos

Quick question - how come the contras wear their star on the sash instead of the left chest like the rest of the corps?

I can answer THAT one...

Vanguard Contras wear their stars on the sash because when your horn is down it occassionally rests against your left chest (only during lazy, "dang this horn is heavy" moments) and if the star was there, you'd most likely scratch your horn.

Besides, being a contra means doing things differently than everyone else... :P :P :P

Besides, being a contra means doing things differently than everyone else... :P :P :P

Actually, back inthe 70' the rifles ,cymbals and tenor drummers all wote their starburst in the center instead of their left chest.

Or send em' to someone who has one if you don't!!......They will be returned!!

Unfortunately I did just that . . .

I sent dozens and dozens of jr. and sr. corps photos from the late 50s and early 60s to the originator of this thread, at his request. Never has responded to multiple requests if he got them in the mail. Never has posted any of them.

Proceed at your own risk . . .

Hey LancerFi!

I read in the "Sit Down" article that a Paul Scopa was one of the ones to hold the gate open for the Reveries to enter the field...was that your dad?

Sally

ScoutsConcertontheCapitalSteps.jpg

I heard a rumor that the scouts were changing their uniform this year, and in the thread someone mentioned a green pants and white top configuration. If they do that, hopefully it will look something like these.

Hey LancerFi!

I read in the "Sit Down" article that a Paul Scopa was one of the ones to hold the gate open for the Reveries to enter the field...was that your dad?

Sally

Yes, that was him!

I can answer THAT one...

Vanguard Contras wear their stars on the sash because when your horn is down it occassionally rests against your left chest (only during lazy, "dang this horn is heavy" moments) and if the star was there, you'd most likely scratch your horn.

That's basically true. But another big reason we didn't need them on the left side is because slamming your horn down during a show when you are all full of energy and feeling that extra power of being in uniform and in front of an audience - you might tend to slam the horn down on top of the star and break it, since it was made of silver plastic. And the only time it was there to get broken would be during a show.

Sidenote: I personally went through 3-4 of them per season as it was. They'd get caught on the horn during horn "visuals" or caught on who knows what else during a show. (In 89 we went under a parachute and dropped to the ground at the end of the show for all but one performance...)