some old corps photos

Positively 1979. Rogers "lobster red" drums. Dave D, Eddie Duquette, Gerry Walsh, and Mike Adams - with George O. John2780 is out of sight.

And the rifle? Arguably the best rifle to ever march in 27th - Kathy Howell Gallant.

I've said this before somewhere. But you really had to see this squad in action.

RifleSection1972.jpg

St. Rita's Rifles in 1972.

G

Ah, yes...St. Rita's rifles! Back when precision meant something with a rifle squad. :blink:

Ah, yes...St. Rita's rifles! Back when precision meant something with a rifle squad. :blink:

Couldn't have said it better. I mean, even their feet are perfectly in sync!

G

Ok - I verified it with Don and this was his response!

'Tis me, to the best of my recollection. The soprano player in the foreground is Paul Rowan (marched in the MSARP and now teaches music in Indiana), and the french horn player in front of me was Nick Doepker (deceased). The bass drum player closest to me was Tim Johnson (deceased). The multi-tenor drum player closest to me was John Owens (marched in the MSARP and was at the picnic/movie theater showing last summer, and now works for 3M in the twin cities). The multi-tenor drum player next to John was Steve Weekes (deceased). I believe this picture is the concert set for Strawberry Soup, and was taken at the prelims competition of DCI Midwest in 1982.

He has a steel trap for a mind!!!

Uhm...I'm gettin' kinda bummed out with all the 'deceased' references fellow older guys/gals...

Ok - I verified it with Don and this was his response!

'Tis me, to the best of my recollection. The soprano player in the foreground is Paul Rowan (marched in the MSARP and now teaches music in Indiana), and the french horn player in front of me was Nick Doepker (deceased). The bass drum player closest to me was Tim Johnson (deceased). The multi-tenor drum player closest to me was John Owens (marched in the MSARP and was at the picnic/movie theater showing last summer, and now works for 3M in the twin cities). The multi-tenor drum player next to John was Steve Weekes (deceased). I believe this picture is the concert set for Strawberry Soup, and was taken at the prelims competition of DCI Midwest in 1982.

He has a steel trap for a mind!!!

That is "BO-Bo", Paul Rowin and is 82'. I was out there to.

Bill

Uhm...I'm gettin' kinda bummed out with all the 'deceased' references fellow older guys/gals...

That was Don when he was a starving teenager from Madison, WI, obviously. :P But I ain't talkin' smack...cuz I may have put on a few pounds since then as well... Ha!

Bill...didn't we call Paul "Boo-Boo" (not Bo-Bo) because he looks like Boo Boo Bear from the Yogi Bear cartoons? AND, Paul got a nice close up in the MSARP DVD as well, and STILL clearly looks like Boo Boo Bear. (I can't believe in my post above I didn't make mention of HIM, seeing as how he is right there in FRONT and the picture is OF him!! Duuurrrrrr.....)

I can't believe Nick and Tim have passed away! :( I knew about Steve (of course) and the ALS that took him from us. He was the worlds nicest guy, and never had a bad moment. It is hard to hear about all the folks who have gone, especially when they would only be in their early to mid 40's right now. WAYYYY too young to have left us.

I know Mike Loeffleholtz was indeed out there with us...as was his brother in the bass drum line.... in '82. There may have been more of them... in that the Loeffleholtz family was one of the major Madison family groups up there for a long time, along with the Theo's, the Herricks, the Ramthun's and the Banks'... all with multiple family members in the corps and support/food truck/souvie ... (along with many I missed...)

Edited by GGarrett

That would be a flag. We," the hornline", did guardwork in the drum solo in 81'and 82'.

Bill

1980, too. That was the first year I recall seeing an entire horn line use full-sized flags, while the entire guard was on rifles. Oh, the GE! :blink: