some old corps photos

Look what one button fix can do!

00052854.jpg

We can stop debating now.

THAT is true drum and bugle corps (sans the drums as far as I can see).

I'm pretty sure that's not how you play those....

It is if you've got my condition :(

Edited by dccorpsfan

Clarabelle...Santa Clara's equipment truck in the early 70's....and my ride to many rehearsals. :blush:

If Mary is out there, thank you too....

Clarabelle.jpg

There you go Nanci B)

IIRC, Clarabelle had a 454 V8, and could outrun the busses, especially pulling hills. Jim Brokke, former Kingsmen snare, drove her on tour in 75. (Why he didn't march his age-out, we'll never know.)

Garry in Vegas

I'm pretty sure this is the Royal Brigade from NJ.

royalbrigade.jpg

royalbrigade2.jpg

royalbrigade3.jpg

royalbrigade4.jpg

royalbrigade5.jpg

Here's some pictures of the 1974 Royal Commodores, a merger between the Stockton Commodores and the San Leandro Royalaires. Courtesy of John Gentile.

282949099.jpg

Man I miss them! When I was a wee tot, seriously pre-teen times, I used to to California State Championships and sit right in the center of this corps when they would do their stand still after retreat. My stomach would rumble for days afterwards - can you say single tenors?

Sal Salas on the right, Scott Johnson on the left...

George Apples :rolleyes:

Tony Shultz... :doh:

Who came before them?

That would be Tony Schultz.

One of the Snare drummers in these pics is Scott Johnson, I believe he's on the left end as you look at the picture.

and two of the others, on the far right is Earl Brown and next to him is John (Rodriguez) Flores. Earl and John came to the Kingsmen in 75, and after we folded for the year both went on to march with the Freelancers that summer. Earl stayed and was part of the great 77 line, while Johnny followed Float up to Etobicoke and was part of the 76 and 77 snarelines that won drums at prelims but didn't make finals. Earl came back and was an strong part of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps snareline, driving for 2 years from Stockton to Anaheim for virtually every rehearsal and camp, and John still lives in Stockton as well.. Great guys, and it's my honor to consider them both friends.

Edited by GregW

Almost all correct Greg. John Flores is second from the left in the Commodore pic next to Scott Johnson. John also marched in the Freelancers in '75 and '77 with Earl. He marched Etobicoke '76. Earl marched Freelancers in '75 and '77 and instructed the Commodores drumline in '76.

As a matter of fact Earl is the one that forwarded these Commodore pics to me.

Here's a pic of the '77 Freelancers with Earl (5th from the right) and Johnny (left end). Could somebody please make this picture look better for me?

121972556.jpg

Edited by Russellrks

IIRC, Clarabelle had a 454 V8, and could outrun the busses, especially pulling hills. Jim Brokke, former Kingsmen snare, drove her on tour in 75. (Why he didn't march his age-out, we'll never know.)

Garry in Vegas

I know "she" could kick ### going over Highway 17 on the way to Halfmoon Bay, but I don't remember Jim Brokke driver her...in fact I don't remember her on tour in '75.

I have always been under the impression that it is a violation to stand in front of the flag with your back to the flag. At DCA competitions, we are always very careful to follow the flag on and not "break the plane" and be in front. But, after reviewing the flag code, this does not seem to be the case. Looks like I am wrong on this.

So - never mind!

Oh there is another way to violate The Flag that we learned about during the 1971 World Open Prelims. We had created a box formation for our exit (the horn line, that is) and for some reason didn't take a steep enough angle toward the back grandstands and managed to beat the American Flag Section off the field. 5.5 in penalties and no possibility of the finals that year. Did much better the next day up the road in Lawrence MA at the Danny Thomas Invitational.

TheBox.jpg

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I know "she" could kick ### going over Highway 17 on the way to Halfmoon Bay, but I don't remember Jim Brokke driver her...in fact I don't remember her on tour in '75.

I thought the same thing but maybe V.K. got Clarabelle from us and used it in 75?

Edited by Russellrks