some old corps photos

PolishFalconsWilliamsburgBrooklynap.jpg

Polish Falcons: Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York City

(Competed as an M&M corps beating Holy Name at West New York, May 30th, 1942)

My father, John Tyburczy, is seated third, left to right, next to intructor.

Now THAT is a great picture... :rolleyes:

what I want to know is: what is the drum major on our right (their left) looking at? I think he's saying: "Ooo... hey. There's a little burrito stand right over there..."

Good question. I figure he was either trying to be classically stoic or wondering who farted.

That's John Brown, better known as JB, DM from 77/78 and assistant DM for the last part of the season in 79. RIP

Good question. I figure he was either trying to be classically stoic or wondering who farted.

That's John Brown, better known as JB, DM from 77/78 and assistant DM for the last part of the season in 79. RIP

Oh man... did we lose him? Shame. You hate hearing that about someone still young enough to have a lot of life ahead.

I'm sure he's laughing somewhere out there thinking: "Actually, I was thinking: Could we please get this stupid picture thing over with? I have my awesome 'The Knack' cassette tape ready to play 'My Sharona' on the bus stereo system."

RIP John Brown... nice to meet you... way after the fact. Glad to see you staying alive these many years later in pictures and discussion!!

Edited by GGarrett

I think that's 1978, because Madison is waiting on the sidelines. 27th followed Bridgemen in 1976 - I remember it well. Oh, and the sign in the back does say 1978, I think. Great picture, either way!!

Speaking of drama…

KnifeFight-WestSideStory1972-1.jpg

Knife Fight scene from West Side Story

Puppet

Speaking of drama…

Puppet

I would have LOVED to see this show in person, being a huge "West Side Story" fan.

Their show has to be one of the earliest "dramatic" breaks from standard military shows, huh? Any comments from y'all that were around during that era?

Speaking of drama…

Puppet

What year would this have been? Part of the reason I ask is because in 1973, my high school band's last state fair show featured a "West Side Story" section, complete with choreographed knife fight. I'm pretty sure my band directors (including Walt Anslinger, who literally left right after state fair, and Don Barnes, who'd been the assistant, moved up to head band director and we switched to corps-style marching . . . all in the same season, fall of '73) got the idea from drum corps. Of course, the audience was pretty slack-jawed through the whole thing. Didn't seem to know what to do with that.

There were breaks from military style from a few corps at this time in history. Notably, Des Plaines Vanguard, St. Rita's and Garfield. Cavaliers and Madison also did some non-traditional shows.

There were breaks from military style from a few corps at this time in history. Notably, Des Plaines Vanguard, St. Rita's and Garfield. Cavaliers and Madison also did some non-traditional shows.

Quitre true. Take 1971 for example. Madison did a Wizard of Oz theme and Cavies did a circus theme. Both corps had members dressed accordingly - and they literally were presenting a "show" before they became the standard.

These "shows", while entertaining to the audience, were a huge departure because VFW was still making the rules. Ironically, when the shift to DCI was made in 1972, there were few, if any, performances that then next few years that ventured off the traditional path.

These "shows", while entertaining to the audience, were a huge departure because VFW was still making the rules.

No, the VFW (Tony Schlecta) only modified the rules to suit their viewpoint.

All the rest of the shows used the American Legion sheets. These were modified every October at the Uniformed Groups Congress in Indianapolis.

Any rule change started as a proposal in a caption caucus. If the instructors approved it, it was submitted to the managers' caucus - one vote for each corps in attendance. If it passed there, final approval was up to the A.L. Contest Committee whose members were Legionnaires.

What year would this have been? Part of the reason I ask is because in 1973, my high school band's last state fair show featured a "West Side Story" section, complete with choreographed knife fight. I'm pretty sure my band directors (including Walt Anslinger, who literally left right after state fair, and Don Barnes, who'd been the assistant, moved up to head band director and we switched to corps-style marching . . . all in the same season, fall of '73) got the idea from drum corps. Of course, the audience was pretty slack-jawed through the whole thing. Didn't seem to know what to do with that.

That was 1972, in 1971 during our "Woodstock" production, there was a simulated attack on the American flag section that was repelled by "Riot Police" complete with smoke bombs and gas masks. Now that being said it's possible that there might have been some previous productions done on the field by high school of college bands. I don't know how it was in other parts of the country but on the east coast at that time, there was no connection in any way, shape or form between bands and drumcorps.