some old corps photos

What is that red smoke in the picture supposed to be....tear gas?

Dang it, if I had known about this show, there would probably have been some tear gas somewhere in the '84 Suncoast show. :laughing:

No. The drum majors hand just exploded. It was a hard summer for him.

The drum majors hand just exploded. It was a hard summer for him.

I hope it was after inspection. Because having no hand is against the principle of the manual of Arms.

I hope it was after inspection. Because having no hand is against the principle of the manual of Arms.

What's really odd about that show is that when we first introduced it on the field we were wildly penalized - for running, for dropping the "tear gas" canister on the field - all sorts of things the judges could not understand - but those smoke bombs were the worst when you had to breathe them in while playing. We (the horn line) always hoped for lots of wind because it was the Drum Majors' job (both of them) to spread the smoke around as much as possible.

InHand.jpg

And they did!

Puppet

Actually, I think they were OK, because it is the "Manual of Arms"; no mention of requiring hands. :innocent:

Doesn't the word "manual" come from the LAtin for "hand?" Or the Greek, perhaps.

"Manos, Hands of Fate," anyone?

Anyone?

Doesn't the word "manual" come from the LAtin for "hand?" Or the Greek, perhaps.

"Manos, Hands of Fate," anyone?

Anyone?

How about; The Manual Of Arms was an instruction book for handling and using weapons in formation, whether in the field or on parade. Such manuals were especially important in the matchlock and flintlock eras, when loading and firing was a complex and lengthy process typically carried out in close order. When capitalized, the term has reference to one of several important manuals, such as the British Army manual of 1764, the manual of Frederick the Great or Von Steuben's manual, adopted by the Continental Army in 1777. The positions and evolutions contained in such manuals have become the standard for parade drill throughout most of the world.

Really

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Puppet- I just had the most insane scenario go through my mind, re: your last post...

Colonial Minutemen square off against the British Redcoats on the Boston Common, 1775. These Minutemen, being the ancestors of the likes of the Boston Crusaders, 27, NorthStar, etc. decide to put on a show for the citizens who have gathered on the Common.

The commander of the "guard" calls them to attention. "Right shoulder arms!...Mark Time March!"

The Minutemen mark time 4 counts, then step off as a company front, spinning their Brown Bess muskets for 16 counts before doing 8 counts of "double fast", followed by a catch, and a triple-toss.

The British meanwhile, don't know whether to applaud or run!

The Minutemen level their musket at the Redcoats, and fire!

The crowd goes WILD...they cheer and whistle...

:innocent:

Even better, how about the drum lines of 27 in 1984 and the Chrome Wall of 1979 decide to jam for the British, after which the British say "Sorry, old chaps, we didn't know. You can have the country. You rock."

And they leave. Curtain.