some old corps photos

Knickerbockers Bronx,NY from May 1970 issue of DCD.

KnickerbockersBronxNYfromMay1970iss.jpg

Note the guy in his Navy Whites!

Always liked the Knicks. Their "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" was a nice opener.

I taught the Wayne Monarchs, a NJ GSC corps, in 1976 with a former Knick, Mickey Palmisano. We were the drum staff. I wrote the charts and focussed on the timps and tenors, Mickey the snares and basses, if memory serves.

Toronto Optimists from May 1970 issue of DCD.

TorontoOptimistsTorontoOntariofromM.jpg

I would bet on Les Metropolitains from Verdun (montreal) Quebec.

Garfield Cadets from May 1970 issue of DCD.

GarfieldCadetsfromMay1970issueofDCD.jpg

Hmmm....I am trying to recall how we might have had guys in the guard like that in 1970....esp one holding a flag...adn wearing the white uni. I know the girl guard came along in 69, but we also had a guy honor guard for a while. They wore the regular maroon uni though.

Knickerbockers Bronx,NY from May 1970 issue of DCD.

KnickerbockersBronxNYfromMay1970iss.jpg

And, in a virtually identical shot…

FeltForum.jpg

And this was from 1969! And here's what I'm thinking:

DCD may have published those shots in 1970 but maybe they weren't from 1970.

I know the stage set was different at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum from year to year.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I would bet on Les Metropolitains from Verdun (montreal) Quebec.

Thanks, I have made the correction.

Is it me or is that an extra long stride in their step? I believe we always did a 22.5 inch step.

Edited by GrewvyG2

Thanks, I have made the correction.

Is it me or is that an extra long stride in their step? I believe we always did a 22.5 inch step.

I do remember seeing Les Metropolitains from Verdun (Montreal) Quebec and their style of marching, however, there were other corps with 'Metropolitains' in their name. Here is the lineup for the 1969 Canadian National Championships, while we are in this era. :thumbup:

Edit: The second page has Senior "A" finals: O.Y.B Lampliters, Kingston Grenadiers, Royalaires.

The top 3 from Girls, Junior "B', Junior "A" continue to finals competition that night in Landsdowne Park, Ottawa, Ontario.

1969-09-06-a.jpg

Edited by lindap

DCD may have published those shots in 1970 but maybe they weren't from 1970.

I know the stage set was different at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum from year to year.

Puppet

Yes, I remember now, stages, fields and parades. The stage was good sound wise but we could not march, however, Madison Square Gardens, wow. I also enjoyed Greek Theatre but no drum corps there when I was there. I have been to NY and Calif and been lucky to have traveled, thanks to drum corps. Thank you everyone for helping me remember.

I don't know who these 2 Corps are. The photos are from the May 1970 issue of DCD.

Unknowncorps2fromMay1970issueofDCD.jpg

It's possible that the second photo is of the London Midlanders from London, Ontario. As it's black & white it's difficult to see what the colours of the pleats are in the skirts. However they are carrying the Ontario provincial flag and the uniform looks like it could be the white with purple accents that the Midlanders wore.

kel

It's possible that the second photo is of the London Midlanders from London, Ontario. As it's black & white it's difficult to see what the colours of the pleats are in the skirts. However they are carrying the Ontario provincial flag and the uniform looks like it could be the white with purple accents that the Midlanders wore.

kel

I concur