some old corps photos

We used to love it when Shirley Whitcomb was judging GE. Her tapes were always so positive, and fun to listen to. It was like having a fan who was also a judge. :whistle:

I always said that if Shirley haad judged 84 finals, I'd have my ring....she LOVED us!

She #### near had an orgasm during the opener (appropriate, since the title means a Roman orgy!)

Well, Hi, Jack!

Slide69.jpg

Slide17.jpg

Thanks, Tom, for posting those 82 VK pics. That was the day of the infamous "hosing of the Knights." How they went from 72.65 at DCM (7/24) to 61.3 at Whitewater (8/6) is beyond explanation. I'd still like to know who had it "in" for Knights. Were they afraid they'd become a Midwest power?

Jan and I were looking at recaps of both shows the other night. Funny how at Whitewater, Swain on MM/VA and Elvord on GE/Brass were the only ones who had scores comparable in same sub-captions from DCM. (Colla VA and Unrath GE/B @ DCM) Everyone else dumped them. Not by tenths, but by points. Yet their next show was back at pre-Whitewater levels. Unfortunately, no matter how much your staff tells you that it was an irregularity, it has to affect you.

At that Whitewater show, a second-year-back VK scored 65.05. The Knights, having the best year in the history of the corps, got that 61.30. VK went on first that day, too, and finished 18th. Knights went on 12th and finished 23rd. At DCI pre-lims, VK was 21st and Knights were 15th.

Garry in Vegas

She #### near had an orgasm during the opener (appropriate, since the title means a Roman orgy!)

Love Shirley, but...uhm...eeewwww!!!!

Love Shirley, but...uhm...eeewwww!!!!

You kinda had to hear the tape...funny stuff.

'Course, she also used to point out a certain soprano player for overhyping just a tad i the early season....took me until almost 2nd your to stop getting her attention during a show!

I always said that if Shirley haad judged 84 finals, I'd have my ring....she LOVED us!

Shirley always seemed upbeat, but strict; her highs were highs and her lows were lows! Her daughter, (Kathy?) was also a judge and seemed more brutal...but all in all, the Whitcombs were cool!

BD CONTRAS WITH SHAKOS???? Who approved THAT??

*looks so wrong...*

Contras wearing shakos…

CONTRANIMALS.jpg

Looks quite natural to me

Puppet

Shirley always seemed upbeat, but strict; her highs were highs and her lows were lows! Her daughter, (Kathy?) was also a judge and seemed more brutal...but all in all, the Whitcombs were cool!

Shirley gave us a few "10's" in GE Visual over the years, however I remember on first tour in 1982, she killed us in visual. I guess maybe we deserved it, as the show was still a work-in-progress. We went on to finish sixth - a major accomplishment for a corps with many rookies, and a new visual staff following the departure of George Zingali. Tough love, maybe??