some old corps photos

Greg,

My only memory of the Argonauts was sitting backfield at a DCI West show in either Oregon or Washington. Anymore photos of you guys would be great. BTW where are you in this photo?

If this is 76 then he must be there. I think thats him 2nd from the right of the double snares. Am I right Greg W.?....while I am at it are those North drums I see off to the right?...looks like double tenor Norths...not quite sure what I am looking at. :)

Talk about memories.

The Scouts had it back then.

From about 75-82 the mystique and machismo were as strong as any corps.

No disrespect to any other corps, but I might venture to say that their mystique and machismo during that time were the strongest I've ever seen. Even the rifleline, which could get a bit twee, was as brilliant and physical as any line ever.

Hopefully I can repost my Whitewater photos from the 80s now that I have my new puter.

...That is, if anybody wants to see them again...

No disrespect to any other corps, but I might venture to say that their mystique and machismo during that time were the strongest I've ever seen. Even the rifleline, which could get a bit twee, was as brilliant and physical as any line ever.

Hopefully I can repost my Whitewater photos from the 80s now that I have my new puter.

Twee or not (that's a new one for me, btw :worthy: ), as a fellow rifle spinner from that era, Madison's line were gods to us. To this day, there is just something about an all-male rifle line that gives me the tingles!

I loved their rifle line! They absolutely nailed everything they did. As Lee said, they sent shivers down my spine whenever I watched them!

And yes, please do repost those photos. I want to see them! :worthy:

1960s-Midlanders.jpg

The Midlanders were a great corps... Many great musicians came out of there.

Sam Kays and Al Murray marched snare together. Beginning of a long gruesome twosome.

77yearbook-1-1.jpg

Sam & Al 1976 while teaching Seneca Optimists drumline

Did I forget to mention the RIFLE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing before or since comes close.

Please do repost those pics.

Some 27. Madison to follow later.

1983. I'd venture to say we had pretty good seats for prelims...

Slide127.jpg

Slide136.jpg

UNTITLED53.jpg

Slide48.jpg

Edited by tommytimp

If this is 76 then he must be there. I think thats him 2nd from the right of the double snares. Am I right Greg W.?....while I am at it are those North drums I see off to the right?...looks like double tenor Norths...not quite sure what I am looking at. :)

I'm actually on the end in that shot. For the majority of the show I was one in from the end, but for the solo I slide over to the end to place the bell cymbal that is so prevalent in any of the Boston/Argo solos. that's why it looks like the line is in odd formations, we paired off in twos and with the line around just for the solo in the middle of Rite of Spring. After that we switch back. I don't remember the reason for the switch other than the other 4 guys had played together so long that they played the solo virtually tickless, so putting them together just made it the easiest way to clean it. I've for an mp3 of the '76 show so I'll try to clip out the drum solo and send it to you. I'm sure it will sound just like classic BAC to anyone who remembers the Gerry Schellmar years.

Dave, what Ghost was doing with the 2 sets of North tenors was to add the middle drum voices between the 3 concert tenors and the basses. We actually had 3 and 3 at one point, but lost one of the North sets. Man we those things heavy. The funny thing is that we had 1 girl in that North section, and another in the tenor section. That was the strangest thing for me, coming from the all male Kingsmen lines, to having girls in the snare line, the tenors, and now the North tenors too. None on tymp, but only because the sport were all covered.