some old corps photos

Velvet Knights from the 1979 US Open Program

VelvetKnightsfrom1979USOpenProgram.jpg

Fantasia III from Northern,NJ from the 1979 US Open Program

FantasiIIINorthernNJfromthe1979USOp.jpg

From the 1979 US Open Program

SantaClaraVanguardSlingerlandAdfrom.jpg

Oakland Crusaders from the 1979 US Open Program

I have posted this before but this is a better scan.

OaklandCrusadersfromthe1979USOpenPr.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this! I believe this is yet another one of those cases where the photo was in the '79 program, but it's from the '78 season.

Velvet Knights from the 1979 US Open Program

VelvetKnightsfrom1979USOpenProgram.jpg

Hey, look! It's Emory Owens on contra!

Garry in Vegas

I spent a few months agonizing over that decision, going to rehearsals of both all fall of 1969. I actually helped Bobby Thompson build Blessed Sac's double tenors (see one of the pics above) from old single drums. He had me slated to play them if I joined.

I had more friends who were marching with Garfield, for one thing. The GSC corps I marched with had quite a few move to Garfield after the 68 season, including some of my best friends growing up.

There was also a 'culture shock', since I was from the distinctly upper-middle class suburbs of Livingston NJ and BS was in the heart of urban Newark...for a 16-year-old very sheltered kid that was quite a shock....this was just when the riots were starting, don't forget.

I also got a good feeling meeting up with George Tuthill, Garfield's drum guy, a graduate of the Manhattan School of Music.

They just seemed a better fit. My parents also preferred that I join Garfield over BS. My dad worked in the Essex County court house in Newark, a block from where some of the worst rioting was occurring.

69 BS is still one of all-time favorite shows, though. I have it pretty much memorized to this day! :thumbup:

Thanks, Mike. I knew I'd read most of this in different posts over the years. This is the complete story.

Garry in Vegas

What a great shot! Don't think I've ever seen this before. Very bad ###!!

i'm in this picture. i am second on the left just behind dave gibbs. this should be us entering boulder "mork and mindy" stadium at '78 prelims.

jim macfarland is the lead sop standing next to me and behind pat haro. jim and i were the two that went out and spotted our OTL

formation on either side of the 50.

it does look pretty bad###ed

Edited by homebilly

Oooh '79 US open! I don't suppose there's a picture of the Golden Knights of Southgate, Kentucky? Would love to see it.

Robert

i'm in this picture. i am second on the left just behind dave gibbs. this should be us entering boulder "mork and mindy" stadium at '78 prelims.

jim macfarland is the lead sop standing next to me and behind pat haro. jim and i were the two that went out and spotted our OTL

formation on either side of the 50.

it does look pretty bad###ed

Isn't that Todd Thacker next to you, and Zeke behind?