some old corps photos

Vaqueros (?) 1974

Vaqueros.jpg

Wow....am I seeing things, or do those contras look like Sousas????

Edit: After looking at the larger pic, those are definitely sousas...how did THAT happen?

Edited by 84BDsop

Edit: After looking at the larger pic, those are definitely sousas...how did THAT happen?

At first look I thought this would have been Vaqueros too but now that I see the Sousas it couldn't be. I think I see a couple of flute players in there as well towards the left about 8 players in. I know there were a few youth bands in those years in So Cal that performed at drum corps shows but the only one I remember was Whittier Cavaliers and this is not them.

Edited by KingsmenSnare76

At first look I thought this would have been Vaqueros too but now that I see the Sousas it couldn't be. I think I see a couple of flute players in there as well towards the left about 8 players in. I know there were a few youth bands in those years in So Cal that performed at drum corps shows but the only one I remember was Whittier Cavaliers and this is not them.

As late as 83/84, I remember competing against or being at shows with youth bands-generally in shows hosted by the smaller circuits. These were usually shows that featured Class A corps only.

As late as 83/84, I remember competing against or being at shows with youth bands-generally in shows hosted by the smaller circuits. These were usually shows that featured Class A corps only.

I remember some summer bands performing at DCI shows in California in the mod-late 90s as well...96 might've been the last year.

I was unaware it might've happened as far back as 74.

Sorry my mistake, this is a youth band. I don't know which one though. I have another picture of the Whittier Cavaliers Youth Band that I didn't include. I don't know how far back the youth band tradition goes. I know there was a band at the opening of finals in 1980.

Sorry my mistake, this is a youth band. I don't know which one though. I have another picture of the Whittier Cavaliers Youth Band that I didn't include. I don't know how far back the youth band tradition goes. I know there was a band at the opening of finals in 1980.

If I recall, they are the Carson Caballeros. They had a bunch of ex-Kingsmen instructors. They always had a decent drumline taught by a guy named Bob Bonnie (or something like that). I remember them playing Mambo like the Kingsmen in 74 AT Vfw Nationals in Los Angeles in the band division.

More from Whitewater 1982.

Cavaliers. Pines of Rome.

Slide90.jpg

Slide89.jpg

Sky Ryders.

Slide88.jpg

Blue Stars again.

Slide86.jpg

You know, Geneseo's getting too good too fast. Let's do something that will cripple the organization forever! 61.

Slide87.jpg

That Geneseo Knight corps was amazing! I heard them when they stayed in North Tonawanda, NY that year and they blew me away with "Ruslan and Ludmilla."

More from Whitewater 1982.

Cavaliers. Pines of Rome.

Slide90.jpg

Slide89.jpg

Sky Ryders.

Slide88.jpg

Blue Stars again.

Slide86.jpg

You know, Geneseo's getting too good too fast. Let's do something that will cripple the organization forever! 61.

Slide87.jpg

That Geneseo Knight corps was amazing! I heard them when they stayed in North Tonawanda, NY that year and they blew me away with "Ruslan and Ludmilla."

That was 1983. And you're welcome.

a little off topic…a post of a photo I took of a post…while we were on tour…

78-post.jpg

Photo by Byron Harmon (1876 - 1942)

GreatDivide-ByronHarmonphoto.jpg

Edited by lindap