some old corps photos

very cool photo,..............are the horizontal BD's the only bass drums?,...........or are these rudi players?

The photo may be of 1969. Long post ahead; hang in there folks :-) I found a link which may answer your question. http://www.delasalle-drumcorps.com/galleries/joe/index.html#l5 The photo marked 14 is at Varsity Stadium. I was amazed at the competitive spirit of our top 3 all male drum corps in 1969, De La Salle Oaklands (Del), Toronto Optimists (Optis) and LaSalle Cadets (LaSalle). They were outstanding in 69. Here's a list of contests that we, Scarborough Firefighters, would have seen or competed with these 3 fine corps.

May 31, 1969 Del and Optis at Etobicoke sponsored by Michael Power Knights

June 7, 1969 Optis and LaSalle at Toronto sponsored by Del (host corps performed in exhibition)

June 21, 1969 Shriner's International possibly held at CNE Grandstand Del 5th, LaSalle 6th, Optis 7th

July 1, 1969 we were at the competition in Port Hope hosted by Simcoe Golden Knights, LaSalle 1st, Optis 2nd

July 1, 1969 a contest in London, Ontario, LaSalle and Optis tied for second place

August 10, 1969 North Americans held at Varsity Stadium, Del 4th, Optis 5th (we attended as audience)

August 23, 1969 Ontario Championships were held in Waterloo. I have no scores or programs, sorry.

September 6, 1969 Nationals held at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa. Del 1st, Optis 2nd and LaSalle 3rd.

excerpt from my 1969 scrapbook 'The crowds cheered for us. I think we're a likable corps. The weather was cold. The stadium was large and high. It cast a shadow over us. We lost Jr. B. We went back to the hotel (Beacon Arms?). There was a party in room 204. We were told to go back to our rooms. A few of us girls went to Del's party for a little while. They won Nationals, first time!'

I posted this before. 1969 Toronto Optimists

1969_Optis.jpg

On February 7, 1970 our corps hosted the Ontario I&E at Cedarbrae Collegiate.

On March 7, 1970 a winter guard contest was held in Toronto

1st LaSalle Cadets 93.15

2nd DeLaSalle "D" 91.70

3rd Optimists 90.25

A quote from DCW FB posted March 25, 2011 'Did you know? - He probably should have bought a lottery ticket that day, too....Jean Le Blanc, horn player for the La Salle Cadets, had quite a day at the 1970 Ontario Drum Corps Associate solo & ensemble championship. He won the soprano title, was part of the winning brass duet, played mellophone in the first place brass trio and soprano in both the winning quartet and sextet. (by Brian Tolzmann, DCW staff)'

Did you know? Yes I did. I was at that I&E on March 25, 1970 with incredibly talented drum corps members from Ontario and Québec. I was in awe! Thanks Brian :smile:

70-lasalle-ie.jpg

1986, y'all!

Shots taken by my girlfriend at Springfield, MO. Scanned, as always, by Malibu.

Valley Fever. A shame to see them so small. Also a shame that those beautiful timps went unplayed for part of the show.

UNTITLED80.jpg

Sky Ryders. Still one of the best GE shows of all time.

UNTITLED81.jpg

Edited by tommytimp

Thanks Tom :smile: Michelle took this photo of 1st Canadian Regiment at 1978 K-Days parade (on Jasper Ave at Central Station LRT built in 78). Our Band Extravaganza was held in the hockey arena that year because Clarke Stadium was being used and the Commonwealth Stadium was finishing up in time for the Games.

2011_03_29_14_07_070001.jpg

Edmonton Strutters changed their name to 1st Canadian Regiment in 1976. Here's the Strutters 1970, stop at 21 seconds, green and gold making an Impact. Good times ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSC3ERZAxs&feature=related

The photo may be of 1969. Long post ahead; hang in there folks :-) I found a link which may answer your question. http://www.delasalle...e/index.html#l5 The photo marked 14 is at Varsity Stadium. I was amazed at the competitive spirit of our top 3 all male drum corps in 1969, De La Salle Oaklands (Del), Toronto Optimists (Optis) and LaSalle Cadets (LaSalle). They were outstanding in 69. Here's a list of contests that we, Scarborough Firefighters, would have seen or competed with these 3 fine corps.

May 31, 1969 Del and Optis at Etobicoke sponsored by Michael Power Knights

June 7, 1969 Optis and LaSalle at Toronto sponsored by Del (host corps performed in exhibition)

June 21, 1969 Shriner's International possibly held at CNE Grandstand Del 5th, LaSalle 6th, Optis 7th

July 1, 1969 we were at the competition in Port Hope hosted by Simcoe Golden Knights, LaSalle 1st, Optis 2nd

July 1, 1969 a contest in London, Ontario, LaSalle and Optis tied for second place

August 10, 1969 North Americans held at Varsity Stadium, Del 4th, Optis 5th (we attended as audience)

August 23, 1969 Ontario Championships were held in Waterloo. I have no scores or programs, sorry.

September 6, 1969 Nationals held at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa. Del 1st, Optis 2nd and LaSalle 3rd.

excerpt from my 1969 scrapbook 'The crowds cheered for us. I think we're a likable corps. The weather was cold. The stadium was large and high. It cast a shadow over us. We lost Jr. B. We went back to the hotel (Beacon Arms?). There was a party in room 204. We were told to go back to our rooms. A few of us girls went to Del's party for a little while. They won Nationals, first time!'

I posted this before. 1969 Toronto Optimists

1969_Optis.jpg

On February 7, 1970 our corps hosted the Ontario I&E at Cedarbrae Collegiate.

On March 7, 1970 a winter guard contest was held in Toronto

1st LaSalle Cadets 93.15

2nd DeLaSalle "D" 91.70

3rd Optimists 90.25

A quote from DCW FB posted March 25, 2011 'Did you know? - He probably should have bought a lottery ticket that day, too....Jean Le Blanc, horn player for the La Salle Cadets, had quite a day at the 1970 Ontario Drum Corps Associate solo & ensemble championship. He won the soprano title, was part of the winning brass duet, played mellophone in the first place brass trio and soprano in both the winning quartet and sextet. (by Brian Tolzmann, DCW staff)'

Did you know? Yes I did. I was at that I&E on March 25, 1970 with incredibly talented drum corps members from Ontario and Québec. I was in awe! Thanks Brian :smile:

70-lasalle-ie.jpg

Just watched their 1970 North American Championship performance through a link on Facebook. You don't hear soloists like that any more.

Kelly

Thanks Tom :smile: Michelle took this photo of 1st Canadian Regiment at 1978 K-Days parade (on Jasper Ave at Central Station LRT built in 78). Our Band Extravaganza was held in the hockey arena that year because Clarke Stadium was being used and the Commonwealth Stadium was finishing up in time for the Games.

2011_03_29_14_07_070001.jpg

Edmonton Strutters changed their name to 1st Canadian Regiment in 1976. Here's the Strutters 1970, stop at 21 seconds, green and gold making an Impact. Good times ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSC3ERZAxs&feature=related

WOW! Those are some bad A uniforms!!!

WOW! Those are some bad A uniforms!!!

Modeled after the Royal Dragoon Horse Soldiers if I remember correctly.

But if I'm not wrong, they didn't get them until 1977.

I think that they were still the Strutters in '76.

Modeled after the Royal Dragoon Horse Soldiers if I remember correctly.

But if I'm not wrong, they didn't get them until 1977.

I think that they were still the Strutters in '76.

Yes, Strutters summer of '76. Fall and winter are planning seasons; they were 'puttin it together' spring of 77. They changed their name in the fall if I recall. I went to their rehearsals in October 76, met Linda and Randy B. originally from Wisconsin, guard and horn instructors. I asked if they needed a guard instructor. They said their staff was full so I made my way to AAG and asked if they needed a guard instructor. They said we have one but let's try both. The next practise was the beginning of wonderful years as a visual team, that of Pam and I with AAG. I remember that first AAG meeting when Mike Duffy said to the directors 'she's a really good dm'. That's my flashback moment for the day :-)

Edited by lindap

27th Lancers!

27th-8.jpg

1971 at Bridgeport CT

27th, 1971 World Open!

27worldopen19719.jpg

Soprano is Jack Glancy, DM is Tim Higgins.

Edited by Navillus WP

a great old 27th photo!

lancer-23.jpg

L-R: Bob Constantine, Steve Groh, Billy Morrill

• Like 1