some old corps photos

Is that Buffalo Bill Ron Restorff far left?

Yes, that is Ron Restorff. He came to Seneca in 1977 with Kevin Gilcart, both from the Buffalo, NY area. I think Kevin's nickname was "Hounter" (sp). BTW, the guy to the right of Jim is Dave Woodcox and the guy to the right of him is Rod Hoffman.

usopen.jpg

General Butler Vagabonds

1972 U.S. Open - Class A

Manning Bowl in Lynn MA. Greatest drum corps stadium ever. And it's gone. Replaced by a failed minor league baseball team's astroturf field. :(

Last week I traveled east to visit family. By chance, I had met a former marching member whom had aged out in De La Salle Oaklands in 1974. We talked of those days, picking up where we left off. I found this on Etobicoke Crusaders FB. The red corps may be Les Chatelaines, Flying Dutchmen, Etobicoke Crusaders, St. Johns Girls and Guelph Opti-Knights in yellow, 1972 at the CNE stadium. I'm beside the 2 DM's from Del. They sometimes wore their red capes at retreat. That's me on the far left! Black and white with a silver shako and red plume, first year of 7 as DM. The runners on the track in green and white may be the Cadet Lancers guard.

a-retreat.jpg

I met Diana at one of our annual get togethers last year either at our Grey Cup or Superbowl party. By chance Toronto Optimists Alumni had posted a 1972 Alberta All Girls photo a week before. I sent her the link. She said, "That's me!" There's a special bond between drum corps people that is hard to describe. Good people, good times then and now :smile:

Diana.jpg

Last week I traveled east to visit family. By chance, I had met a former marching member whom had aged out in De La Salle Oaklands in 1974. We talked of those days, picking up where we left off. I found this on Etobicoke Crusaders FB. The red corps may be Les Chatelaines, Flying Dutchmen, Etobicoke Crusaders, St. Johns Girls and Guelph Opti-Knights in yellow, 1972 at the CNE stadium. I'm beside the 2 DM's from Del. They sometimes wore their red capes at retreat. That's me on the far left! Black and white with a silver shako and red plume, first year of 7 as DM. The runners on the track in green and white may be the Cadet Lancers guard.

a-retreat.jpg

wow, Linda.... what a great memory this brings. My very first Canadian National Championships with St. John's. I'm just out of the picture on the national party. What a great night for a 12 year old - we won the all girls class and my favourite corps (besides St. John's) the Optimists also won. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly

Yes, that is Ron Restorff. He came to Seneca in 1977 with Kevin Gilcart, both from the Buffalo, NY area. I think Kevin's nickname was "Hounter" (sp). BTW, the guy to the right of Jim is Dave Woodcox and the guy to the right of him is Rod Hoffman.

lol.... my favourite memory of Buffalo Bob was on tour in '78 when he realized he'd left his pants at home and we were already on the road to Wisconsin. We had been on the road for a couple of hours, the bus was quiet and out of the silence was heard.... 'Oh, man...Bernadette's gonna kill me'..... Because the last thing Bernadette (our uniform lady and all around wonder woman) had said the previous rehearsal before we left Toronto was 'DO NOT FORGET YOUR PANTS OR SKIRTS'....... It was a long tour for Ron.....

wow, Linda.... what a great memory this brings. My very first Canadian National Championships with St. John's. I'm just out of the picture on the national party. What a great night for a 12 year old - we won the all girls class and my favourite corps (besides St. John's) the Optimists also won. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly

Hi Kelly. Congrats on winning. As an aside, some of the ladies out west remember traveling to the big all girls contest in Brantford hosted by St. John's in 1975. In 72, when you were 12, I was 16 going on 17, lol. The only thing I remember about this show was swallowing a fly during mark time huh! too funny, and oh and ya, we'd spend time at the CNE grounds after the contest, riding on the roller coaster. We'd wear our corps jackets and meet and greet so to speak.

I'm trying to match the corps with corpsreps.com. l-r Seneca Princemen (we got new uniforms in 74), De La Salle, Les Cavaliers de Drummondville? Les Chatelaines? I'm just not sure, blurry photos. Between you and I, we'll figure it out.

a-1972-or-1973-cne.jpg

1972 at CNE stadium l-r St. John's (loved your flags that year), Peterborough Kresendos or Kawartha Kavaliers?, Guelph Opti-Knights, LaSalle Cadets?, 4th Brigade?, Toronto Optimists. The top 3 Jr. A corps were close in scores that night. Toronto Optimists 81.40, De La Salle 81.30, Cadets LaSalle 81.25. Oh my! By the way, my favourite corps was Cadets LaSalle.

a-retreat2.jpg

Photos are courtesy of Val Courneyea who marched with Sue Butler in Etobicoke Crusaders drum line. Sue then marched snare in 1975 Oakland Crusaders and taught Alberta All Girls drum line 1976-1978. Sue's 2 younger sisters were in the 1977 Oakland Crusaders drum line. Small world. Thanks for sharing too Kelly :-)

Linda

Hoyntner was his nickname. Kevin marched one year with us and Ron marched 3 I think. When our corps decided to do some dumb merger, they left for Seneca. Wish I did too.

Hello All,

I aquired some photos from my good friend Carrie. I wanted to share them here. I also have many of my corps the Flint Guardsmen. I will post a few here.

1st SCV from Carrie T.

SCVfromCarrieT1.jpg