some old corps photos

Here is a great shot from 1967. Boston Crusaders

BAC67.jpg

Lindap - this could be taken at the old Boston Garden during a standstill/contest call The Drumfest. Usually in late April - early May. Corps had their music selected - and you had to learn a quick drill to perform in a hockey arena.

Check out BAC's white bucks with black polish around the sides of the soles and heels.

Eat 'em up Boston !!! can always be heard at any contest just before the corps performs.

Edited by LancerLegend
  • Like 1

I marched in BR 71-73. Knowing who marched in the snare line, it was '72. We wore short hair wigs from 71-73 on the field so the judges (some of whom still had didn't care for long-haired kids) wouldn't hold our hair length against us. Our African-American kids with big hair would stuff their hair in a stocking, and tuck it under their shako. If I remember correctly in '71 I know of at least four other corps that did the same thing: Madison, Sac, Muchachos and Bridgemen. In '71 we had 13 'wiggos", in '72 about 22. Initially our staff (in '71) wanted us never to appear as a Blue Rock member (read rehearsal or uniform) without the wig on. That lasted all of two shows. Although we never walked around inside a stadium in uniform without the wigs on!!

RCC

2nd and 3rd snares in from the right on the Blue Rock snare line look familiar. Is one Jeff Dennis?

You are correct. That's Jeff.

Rcc

Lindap - this could be taken at the old Boston Garden during a standstill/contest call The Drumfest. Usually in late April - early May. Corps had their music selected - and you had to learn a quick drill to perform in a hockey arena.

Check out BAC's white bucks with black polish around the sides of the soles and heels.

Eat 'em up Boston !!! can always be heard at any contest just before the corps performs.

Lately, without sounding like I'm bashing modern Drum Corps or anything mind you, I have been thinking about those great preseason shows from back in the day. In my mind the premier of which was held at various venues in and around NY and NJ. Memorably the Mosque Theater in Newark, Carnegie Hall and Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum. Those were where fans could get a real sneak preview of what the corps' were working on for the previous 6 months. And, as evidenced by Mr. Winkler here ...

Wink.jpg

...was a lot of fun for the corps, too!

DCI, IMHO would do itself and the fans a great service by sponsoring shows like that again. Just saying ...

Puppet