some old corps photos

... Was it me or were girls in suspenders kind of a turn on? Our uniforms (even the skirts!) were worn with suspenders and ... well, never mind...

Puppet,

What's not a turn on when you're that age?

Puppet,

What's not a turn on when you're that age?

If you look closely, you can see where her suspenders are buttoned to the skirt.

Joan.jpg

I wish I has more shots of the young women who marched in our guard ... they were something! :thumbup:

Great picture of the princemen rifle line. Love the uni's. We bought those in June 1976 (the tops). The change in the corps attitude was evident immediately!

We also wore suspenders under our uniforms to hold up our skirts. We carried 7 foot poles with spikes 68-70. I was on rifle I&E winter 70-71 (kept my scoresheet), sabre 71 guarding NP, GC/guard tech 71-72 and was assigned DM April 1972. The DM, GC and rifle captain would often run rehearsals from September until spring when our new M&M/guard instructor would arrive. Our all-girl guard was average height of 5’1” in 72. We cut the poles to 6 feet and added door knobs to the top so that they could spin instead of pole vault. Maybe it was my idea to cut the poles; sorry and Puppet, you may have to sit down for this. Starting winter 76-77, AAG’s winter guard wore jazz slippers. They were one of at least 4 guards that wore them. ‘Put yourself in my shoes’; just sayin’ :wink:

This is from Jo-Anne’s FB. We connected online a few days ago. 1975 Seneca Princemen rifle line, a very fine line, literally. These ladies were great! :bigsmile:

11-1975-jo-anne-mccourt-fb-5.jpg

Hello everyone! Sorry I have been off the board for a while. School and 5 children have to come first. But since my daughter was auditioned for The Colts in Dubuque, IA this past month, I though I would check back in. She is making great progress and seeing as she had never picked up a flag before 5 months ago, the fact that they are even having her return is amazing and makes me one proud mama! LOL

Anyway, I found this on youtube. I don't know if it will post here or not, but here is the link. It is a video of stills from the 1970's. I was hoping to find some Eye Openers in there, but alas, again nothing, although I haven't given up hope yet! Enjoy!

Dee, You are very welcome.

I'll bet there are more Eye-Openers photos out there. I'll take a second look and no doubt so will everyone else that frequents this thread.

Tell us about your corps, I know nothing about them. The origin of the name, years fielded, music, etc.

Thanks

I found out this much information about the Eye Opener and Silver Spectrum. Please remember I was only 6-8 years old when I marched with them. The family mentioned in the last bit of info is the family that lost all the negatives of pics in a house fire that my grandparents had given them. But I can't believe that they had them all and that there are not more out there. Hopefully they will turn up somewhere! Until then, I am collecting as much info as I can find. Enjoy!

Dee

"Iowa 'EYE-OPENERS'-- A growing corps in a growing area!

The central Iowa "EYE-OPENERS" Junior Drum and Bugle Corps was organized in February 1972 of members from the areas of Marshalltown, State Center, Le Grand, and Green Mountain. It is now in its first full year of competition after having competed in the Rose Festival Show in State Center, Iowa; the American Legion competition in Des Moines, Iowa; and many parades throughout the state of Iowa during the 1972 season.The corps had approximately 85 members, ages 9 to 17 years. In August of 1972 the Corps lost its director and 2 instructors due to job transfers of these people. Last fall the Corps reorganized and the executive board engaged Elmer Mowry as Director, and his wife Evelyn as instructor and assistant. The Director then engaged an instructing staff of Ken Nason, Melborne, as beginning bugle instructor; and Don Smalley, as drum instructor, and Vern DeLawyer, Marshalltown, as marching and maneuvering instructor. With lessons and a new approach to music, marching and maneuvering, plus a system of strict discipline, the Corps was trimmed to approximately fifty-five dedicated members who now compose the new "EYE-OPENERS".

The Corps then set about to obtain new music and new field drill, and set up an intensive program of practice. Music was written by Dan and David Crosser of Osage, Iowa, who are members of the Precisionaires Drum and Bugle Corps. This music was taught and new drills were practiced. With very hard work and real dedication on the part of the members, the "EYE-OPENERS" are now considered one of the best "FIRST YEAR CORPS" in the Mid-west.

The "EYE-OPENERS" although new to field competition and very young in age (average 12 years old) have raised the eyebrows of drum corps people with the energy shown by the youngsters, a field drill that is well balanced, and music that is enjoyable to listen to.

The future success of this Corps is assured by the fine attitude of the Corps members and the solid support of the people of this area and a hard working and completely dedicated parent booster club. Their sponsors are the Marshalltown Kiwanis Club, the Morning Optimist Club, Frank Lewis Glick Post No. 46 of the American Legion, and the United Auto Workers Union. The Corps members have, with their hard work and dedication to drum corps, made many people of the Central Iowa area, as their creed goes, "OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE EYE-OPENERS".So, people of Central Iowa, they are YOUR drum corps. SUPPORT THEM WILLINGLY...

[From the March 1974 issue of DCA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Silver Spectrum Drum & Bugle Corps is a second year corps organized for the benefit of youth in mid-Iowa. Home base for the "Spectrum" is Marshalltown,Iowa.

Contemporary Jazz will be the sound and style of their 1980 production. The Spectrum will present their own arrangements of "1980", "Fortune Tellers", "Chicago", and "My Love".

[From the 1980 DCM Championship Souvenir Program.]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jim and Jackie Bacino of Marshalltown have been

stewards of the Silver Spectrum Drum and Bugle Corp

finances since the group was formed in 1972. They

decided to invest funds from the sale of instruments

and equipment into an MCC scholarship fund. The

Corps performed in events and parades in Central Iowa

for many years, delighting audiences with their rhythmic

cadences and precision marching.

"The Silver Spectrum Drum & Bugle Corps performed in several State and National Competitions during the

summers until disbanding in 1981, says Jim Bacino.

"The Corps was successful because it was a family oriented

affair with many parents volunteering their time

and love to our youth."

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Eye-Openers' feeder corps was called the Winks.

[DCW, 6/29,90, p.13]

Edited by MamaDG

SUPER! I marched that year 1971 in St. Rita's Brassmen. I played double tenors :thumbup: . It was my second year in St.Rita's. We were lambasted with over 6 points in penalties on some American flag miscue. Thanks to Joe Tucker the judge at that time :rock: . We were one of the top eastern contenders back then. We would had made finals without the penalties. We came back the next day at the Danny Thomas Invitational and place in the top five. Go figure. Those shots are GREAT!! The shot in the end zone was after our riot scene from our Woodstock riot production. It was a super year. :thumbup:

Jim On The Move

Edited by Jim On The Move

Wow, Baja! You did a great job of capturing some neat moments in junior corps history with that little Kodak Instamatic. These brought back a lot of memories from my days of competition. It makes me wish that my corps (Geneva Appleknockers) had gone to the World Open instead of the U.S. Open that year. I was a good year for us and I wish we had made your collection.

Thanks for taking the time to share!

SUPER! I marched that year 1971 in St. Rita's Brassmen. I played double tenors . It was my second year in St.Rita's. We were lambasted with over 6 points in penalties on some American flag miscue. Thanks to Joe Tucker the judge at that time . We were one of the top eastern contenders back then. We would had made finals without the penalties. We came back the next day at the Danny Thomas Invitational and place in the top five. Go figure. Those shots are GREAT!! The shot in the end zone was after our riot scene from our Woodstock riot production. It was a super year.

Jim On The Move

This thread was Number 1 for the longest time...I decided to make it #1 again.

This thread was Number 1 for the longest time...I decided to make it #1 again.

A mighty fine idea! I'll give it a kick too. :satisfied:

Wish I had a new photo to add though...