some old corps photos

Playing their brand new concert number "Malaguena".

Wow, it goes back that far?

Madison Scouts CG pass stands at Blue and Gold Tournament of Champions in Mundelein, ILL. Sunday June 30 1963. From the July 17 DCN. From Duane C.

MadisonScoutsCGpassstandsatBlueandGoldTnmtofChpnsinMundeleinILLSundayJune301963FromtheJuly17DCNFr1.jpg

Great photo---thanks. Those were some cool uniforms. Also, I'd forgotten about those pikes their guard carried back then (instead of rifles)--up through '72, I think. Hopefully, some alum can confirm, but I think Madison's first year w/rifles was '73?

Great photo---thanks. Those were some cool uniforms. Also, I'd forgotten about those pikes their guard carried back then (instead of rifles)--up through '72, I think. Hopefully, some alum can confirm, but I think Madison's first year w/rifles was '73?

The pikes were called Quarter Staffs. I believe the Boy Scouts of America didn't allow scout organizations to use, or carry, rifles: quarter staffs were an acceptable alternative. I can't recall off hand the last year the Scouts stop using them (perhaps '67-'68?), but they definitely were not used in '70-'72. The first year the Scouts used rifles was '73.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Boy Scouts of America didn't allow scout organizations to use, or carry, rifles: quarter staffs were an acceptable alternative.

My best friend and I were supposed to carry the banner for an out-of-town American Legion color guard in our local 4th of July parade back in 1963.

We showed up in our Cub Scout uniforms, and the guys in the guard told us we would not be allowed to appear with their group, since they carried rifles, and we were in a Scout uniform.

My best friend and I were supposed to carry the banner for an out-of-town American Legion color guard in our local 4th of July parade back in 1963.

We showed up in our Cub Scout uniforms, and the guys in the guard told us we would not be allowed to appear with their group, since they carried rifles, and we were in a Scout uniform.

Interesting story, Brian. Thanks much. By '73, the Scouts's ties to Boy Scouts of America were more "relaxed" than they we're in the 60s. I always wondered if that BSA regulation concerning the use of rifles contributed to the delay of the Scouts in catching up with other rifle lines during the early- to mid-70s--e.g., Kingsmen and 2-7. By the early 80s, however, the Scouts put out some of the best rifles in drum corps. Scout rifles were friggin good in '81 and '82.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...