some old corps photos

July 3, 1971 Wheeling, IL

Cavaliers--85.55

Santa Clara--82.3

Troopers--81.2

Madison--80.75

Blue Stars--80.6

Des Plaines Vanguard--69.5

I still have the program from that show. Those scores are incorrect. SCV did not lose to the Cavaliers in 71. In fact after we beat the Cavies for the first time in 1970, SCV didn't lose to the Cavies until sometime in the 90s.

I still have the program from that show. Those scores are incorrect. SCV did not lose to the Cavaliers in 71. In fact after we beat the Cavies for the first time in 1970, SCV didn't lose to the Cavies until sometime in the 90s.

Learn about the noose here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/152520-the-noose-is-back-where-it-belongs/

Then you better try telling that to the Cavaliers. Their 1971 yearbook shows them beating SCV not only at Wheeling, but also Dubuque and Michigan City.

The memories section has quite a few members saying their most memorable show that year was "winning the very first combine show at Wheeling".

The Cavalier wins were also documented in Drum Corps News.

Since so many seem to consult corpsreps.....they also have Cavaliers beating SCV at Michigan City in '71.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Then you better try telling that to the Cavaliers. Their 1971 yearbook shows them beating SCV not only at Wheeling, but also Dubuque and Michigan City.

The memories section has quite a few members saying their most memorable show that year was "winning the very first combine show at Wheeling".

The Cavalier wins were also documented in Drum Corps News.

Since so many seem to consult corpsreps.....they also have Cavaliers beating SCV at Michigan City in '71.

Upon further review…

It took a bit of looking, but I found my 1971 tour schedule card. On the back I wrote our record against every major corps we faced that year. That was in 1971, right after we got home, so no time for the memory to get fuzzy. We were 3-2 against the Cavies, so it looks like you were right. Here’s the rest: Troopers 15-2 (1 by penalty), Madison 11-1, Blue Stars 12-0, Kingsmen 2-2, 27th 2-2, Blue Rock 2-1, Garfield 2-0, and Boston 4-0. Most importantly, we placed 1st at the VFW finals which made us that year’s champion!

Upon further review…

It took a bit of looking, but I found my 1971 tour schedule card. On the back I wrote our record against every major corps we faced that year. That was in 1971, right after we got home, so no time for the memory to get fuzzy. We were 3-2 against the Cavies, so it looks like you were right. Here's the rest: Troopers 15-2 (1 by penalty), Madison 11-1, Blue Stars 12-0, Kingsmen 2-2, 27th 2-2, Blue Rock 2-1, Garfield 2-0, and Boston 4-0. Most importantly, we placed 1st at the VFW finals which made us that year's champion!

Yes, it took a while for you guys to catch fire in '71, but once you did........

WOW!!!