some old corps photos

Wondering where the pic of Star might have been taken ... with a Hawthorne Cabs banner in the background ... not to mention the "Bud" ad ...

:-)

Wondering where the pic of Star might have been taken ... with a Hawthorne Cabs banner in the background ... not to mention the "Bud" ad ...

:-)

I believe that picture was taken at the 1986 Grand Prix at Rutgers University. 29 years has put a coating of haze over the details, but I'm pretty sure that was the Grand Prix

Perhaps the ticks migrated to Indiana?

Perhaps, but these kids were just "bandos" trying to learn high level drum corps skills in a hurry. They succeeded in record time, mostly due to their work ethic and one of the finest instructional staffs ever assembled.

Put eager students in front of Delucia, Dubinski, Zingali and the like, and watch what happens. In many ways, Star's influence is felt to this day.

Perhaps, but these kids were just "bandos" trying to learn high level drum corps skills in a hurry. They succeeded in record time, mostly due to their work ethic and one of the finest instructional staffs ever assembled.

Put eager students in front of Delucia, Dubinski, Zingali and the like, and watch what happens. In many ways, Star's influence is felt to this day.

Plus a founder with real deep pockets. Which also paid for above-mentioned staff. I am curious as to how much they were paid, not that is is any of my business.

Edit: Come to think of it, Spirit of Atlanta was also a bunch of 'bandos' in their early years (read a story somewhere how naive they were w/r/t the 'southies' that were in Boston, or Bayonne, etc. Back in those days (SoA esp) band directors & drum corps did not see eye-to-eye.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Suncoast was ALSO a bunch of "bandos." IIRC, the corps program was built off of a HS band program.

In truth, ALL of us started out as "bandos."

As far as paying the staff...in the end, it;'s somewhat irrelevant compared to the work of the kids...Zingale, Cook, Deliucia, Mason, etc....HEY weren't lerning the drill or music..or performing the show...the kids were.

• Like 1

In truth, ALL of us started out as "bandos."

Not true BITD, and certainly not in the Corps I was in. I would guess in early 80's maybe 30% of our horns (we generally fielded 25-32 depending who showed up, who was in jail, etc) and only 3-4 perc had marching band (or band period) experience.

We were proud to NotBeBandos (inside RAMD joke that some (but not EVERYONE) would understand)

• 4 weeks later...

This page hasn't been awake in a little while, so I figured I'd give it a bump. Some pics from 1988:

Dutch Boy

88%20Dutch%20Boy%201_zpslv2bso1s.jpg

88%20Dutch%20Boy%202_zpsquy7zenr.jpg

• Like 1