some old corps photos

By the way I heard a story maybe someone can confirm.

The name os the junior corps for Wausau Story was "Pages of the Wausau Story".

If true that is the coolest name for a corps I have ever heard.

Dale

Sharp photos of Wausau Story, Dale (can't confirm the story about the name, though)! I don't suppose you have any of Oakland that are from the pressbox, do you? (Then again, maybe that's not something that should be seen by the general public, LOL! Marching just wasn't our strong suit.) Earlier you also mentioned the possibility of some color photos of Oakland. Do you have any of those kicking around? Last question, I promise; no more bugging you! :P

Dale

Yes, that is true! I remember them.

And Wausau Story looks terrific there in those pictures! I didn't remember them being that big or good at formations/sets.

All of these pictures being posted here lately are just fantastic... nice work all! And thanks for getting them up. Great memories!

I think anyone who has ever carried a marching tymp around could easily quantify 99% of marching tympanist's thought process during a show.

1) Man I can't wait for concert

2) Yaaaaaaa, concert

3) ####, concert's over

Hey Joe, check that photo of 27th's timp line again. We used counterweights, so we did not want to stop, we just wanted to keep moving. We kept one leg in the front right up until we got to the starting line, and that person would meet us back at the busses immediately after we left the field. Seems silly now to see all of the drumline battery people using stand to play in a semi-circle, but suppose their backs will never bother them later in life.

OK a little more midwest love.

kilts.jpg

kilts2.jpg

While everyone else seemed to be questioning the Kilts decision to go coed in 1978, I was totally entertained by them as the season went on. They tried several things percussion-wise that year with different carrying methods for bass drums and snare drum set ups... and more. Talk about redoing your show completely as the season goes along! That was the 1978 Kilts... and then they went and made DCI finals on top of it all.

Listen to their show from that year... you will be entertained!!

Played around with this photo a bit and zoomed in on these two Oakie flag gals; I'm about 99 percent certain that I'm the one on the right. The gal on the left might be Joanne Spillman; she was one of the three of us who came up from Indiana.

1978allentown6a.jpg

Sue,

Is that Jen Kirschner from NY?

Dale

Watkins Glen Squires' feeder corps was the Pages also

Yes, that is true! I remember them.

And Wausau Story looks terrific there in those pictures! I didn't remember them being that big or good at formations/sets.

All of these pictures being posted here lately are just fantastic... nice work all! And thanks for getting them up. Great memories!

Yes...The Pages were the feeder corps. Started in 1974, I think they competed starting 1975. If I recall, they did not exist in 1978, partially because most of the better members moved up to Wausau Story. They may have done some parades in '78. Guy....do you remember??

Those photos are great...Not bad for a 24th place corps! I am happy to be on here again! Was on a 79 Troopers photo earlier....here I am the snare to the right (stage left) of the 50.

We were just under the full 128 members in '78.

The hornline was mature and very good! We gained a number of members from the Americanos, Marquis and Belle's of St. Mary's (a good all-girl corps) when they did not field. Guy Machel who is on here too, played lead baritone.

The program was pretty weak that year though....I remember an article from DCW, they said something like: Wausau Story is good. Not overly exciting, not overly clean...just good.

Drumline was young - many Pages that moved up, but did okay by the end of the year. The drums "zeroed out" on our first show of the year and the corps score was a 48.something....Breaking 70 with all of the crap that went on that year.....we did okay.

Many older members either aged out or were not happy with the direction of the corps and decided not to return in 79. I think the corps was about 35-40 members. In May, when they decided not to field a corps, a number of horns and guard went to Blue Stars and I went to Troopers (Blue Stars did not want to add another snare that close to the start of the season - or I may have been there too.). I think I was the only drummer that went elsewhere.

For the Wausau Story, 1976 was the best (i.e. most fun) year as we won Class A DCI, but 1977 was probably the best corps, but only an okay show. If we could have had the 1977 drumline with the 1978 hornline and the 1976 program quality, top 20 and maybe even top 15 could have been possible.

I know.....If "if's and but's" candy and nuts, we all would be having a party!

I have many photos and when I can dig them out, I will post....Wausau Story and many others as I was VERY into photography back then!

Thanks for the memories!

Edited by ajedrummer