some old corps photos

The two cymbal players on the right side of the photo are non other than George Bonfiglio Jr. and

Chris Perry, original founding members of the SPACELINE b**bs

LancerLegend created those monsters into one of the best bass drum lines ever to grace God's green earth.

Thanks John Martin. The Spaceline was born in the cold of Lake Placid. While the rest of the entire corps was inside warm busses, they were eating their box lunch, in short sleeve shirts, sitting in the luggage bay under of one of the busses.

And as you know, I was lucky enough to have a local line - they were there throughout the wintah. In true fashion, I made their lives positively miserable. But when summa roamed around, they were having more fun than anyone in the world. They were arrogant, they were disrespectful, they were irreverant and they despised snares - but they could play and phrase with the very best. My fav tunes to listen to them play were Open Wide, New Country and Niner Two.

Chris and Georgie were the best 1/2 eva. Thinking back, I don't think Georgie could play a downbeat - just "te" and "ta" or anything in between. Wally was too innocent, John was our secret weapon, and Doug had the spirit of a "Giant."

It was a pleasure to work with them. :wub:

A couple more of BD 78 Allentown

bd76-2.JPG

bd76-3.JPG

He became an M & M instructor for us in MB3. I met him 1982 and learned all sorts of 27th Lancer stories from him! But after that, I don't know. :worthy:

I thought I heard he had moved to Ohio (??). That was back in 94 when we did the alumni thing.

Oh, and Karla DeVito started out in a Boston band called "Orchestra Luna" (this is back to the Meatloaf picture). She was an unbelievable performer. She is now retired and is the wife of none other than Robbie Benson. My friend caught an orange that she threw into the audience one night (it had been stuffed down her blouse). He was tossing it around as we walked to the car and it rolled into a sewer, lost forever. Also, "Paradise by the ..." is one song that I really loathe. I have yet to hear a couple perform it well at karaoke. A definite room-clearer!! So, Sue - I agree with you.

Complete with pseudo ballet dancer. I stilll wake up screaming in the middle of the night!!

Definitely 1978 because of the mace laying on the field.

How could I could forget Y-Vonne and her beautiful ballet moves.

Diplomats 1982.

Slide20.jpg

Suncoast 82. Second on, held a finals spot all day.

Slide19.jpg

Diplomats 1982.

Slide20.jpg

Suncoast 82. Second on, held a finals spot all day.

Slide19.jpg

My recollection as I look at this picture is that we were the second corps to perform at prelims, but when I go to www.fromthepressbox.com they have us listed as the 8th corps in the order of appearance. I also see many more people in the stands than I remember, which adds to my confusion. I know we went on at around 8:15 AM, so unless the first corps stepped off at 6:30 AM I'm sticking with my memory, frail as it is. B)

Avant Garde was first on Starurday, Suncoast was second. The other corps (VK, Colts, Alliance, etc) were seen on Friday afternoon, after the Class A corps had their show. Look at the pics I've preeviously posted; they show a different position of the sun, crowd, etc.) Y'all were on second that morning. I remember partially because you were so good, but also because right at the entrance to the bowl at Warhawk, the drumline kept running over the release in the drum solo.

This picture is awesome.!!!!!!!!!! Denver finals 78.

finalscrowd78.JPG

I just found these pics that were in the 1989 Pacific Procession program - SCV's home show. (I thought I'd already posted them a long time ago... but didn't.) These are all VERY early season shots of 89 SCV in both rehearsal AND early performances. Look how much things changed from the first shows.

The first four are rehearsal pics taken at the Mission College practice field. (I'll identify the people I can... )

p1.jpg

On the left are Mikey Kline (on baritone) and Beth Johnson. Beth was the second "heaviest vet" in the corps in 89... having marched since 1984. :rock: (Rick Valenzuela marched since 83, and aged out in 89.)

p8.jpg

Percussion section. The third snare from the left (in the white shorts) is the snare FRAUD from the Dagenham Crusaders who was overage and was kicked out the week of Finals. Behind him to the left (on tenors) is Percussion Caption Head Extraodinare Murray Gusseck. To the right of Murray is Mike Opodaca. Behind Murray is my "psuedo brother" Bob Young's 83(?) AMC Concord... Sweeeeet. B)

p4.jpg

High Mark time at the beginning of Masquerade. NOTE: the words "Mission College" visible at the top of the school in the background... sigh... :rock:

p6.jpg

Sops. I believe the second sop from the right is Rick Valenzuela (former SCV Corps Director and current Phantom Regiment Corps Director). To the left of Rick are John LeMeiu and Chris Chew.

Performance pics from a VERY early show. Notice we didn't have masks or the sequined overlays yet. The uniform ladies were adding the black sequins to the overlays that had been used the previous few years. These are the original tunics they had back to 82 or 83, and the overlays just velcroed on the front.

p9.jpg

p2.jpg

I think this is setting up the triangle that "wound up" at the end of the opener.

p10.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is during the winding up of the triangle at the end of the opener. Contas from left to right are: Chris Thorsen, not sure who the next guy is, Paul Martinez, Me (Brad Faidley) and Bob Young.

p5.jpg

Drumline during the first "Masqerade" melody statement. That's Murray Gussek on the right.

p3.jpg

The original colorguard set for the big hit in "Wishing you were somehow hear again". NOTE: No flags. That got changed. And no guard uniforms yet.

p7.jpg

Drum Major Gary Butera acknowledging the crowd at the end of one of our first shows. NOTE: the hornline behind him. I think we must have just stood in place and played the final 5 chords in the set where the company front ended up - because we hadn't added the parachute trick in yet. (Since the guard is on the field, I don't think this is a victory concert.)

Edited by bradrick

Thanks John Martin. The Spaceline was born in the cold of Lake Placid. While the rest of the entire corps was inside warm busses, they were eating their box lunch, in short sleeve shirts, sitting in the luggage bay under of one of the busses.

And as you know, I was lucky enough to have a local line - they were there throughout the wintah. In true fashion, I made their lives positively miserable. But when summa roamed around, they were having more fun than anyone in the world. They were arrogant, they were disrespectful, they were irreverant and they despised snares - but they could play and phrase with the very best. My fav tunes to listen to them play were Open Wide, New Country and Niner Two.

Chris and Georgie were the best 1/2 eva. Thinking back, I don't think Georgie could play a downbeat - just "te" and "ta" or anything in between. Wally was too innocent, John was our secret weapon, and Doug had the spirit of a "Giant."

It was a pleasure to work with them. :rock:

Two of the best ever. Still think today Chris and Georgie could hop into any baseline. It was a pleasure to have the two of them (along with Steve Reil) teach me for most of my cadet years. There were nights that Steve would have to ask them to leave because they were fooling around more than us.