some old corps photos

Gorgeous photos, Dale! Thanks so much for posting them!

Remember this view? What an awesome place for prelims.

27th prelims 1982.

27thprelims2.jpg

University of McGill Stadium. What a great backdrop with the city skyline in the background. One of my favorite places for a drum corps show (along with Whitewater, Marion, OH, and others).

Edited by Legolaus

University of McGill Stadium. What a great backdrop with the city skyline in the background. One of my favorite places for a drum corps show (along with Whitewater, Marion, OH, and others).

I use to love Boulder for a prelim stadium as well but you can't beat that view and the city of Montreal. I remember one night in 1981 there must have been 10 drum corps at the Munich Beer Gardens

I use to love Boulder for a prelim stadium as well but you can't beat that view and the city of Montreal. I remember one night in 1981 there must have been 10 drum corps at the Munich Beer Gardens

Yeah I remember of photo of a Bridgemen soprano player from Boulder with the buildings in the background. Very cool. It is tough to beat this view of the Montreal downtown. You had a wonderful vantage point for your photos as well. Nice view of the drill formations. I can't think of a better corps to capture this than 27 as well.

Notice the member kneeling and steadying the larger two stands which appear to be converted music stands maybe a bit top heavy.

Think I recall reading somewhere that a few roto stands actually fell in prelims, hence johnny on the spot holding 'em up.

We actually beat 'em in drums in prelims that year. In hindsight, kind'a wished it was the other way around... we played a somewhat tentative show at Finals, and those guys belted one out'a the park!

As a competitor, I hated that ###### solo. :unhappy: It was such a fantastic package that all they had to do was nail it and it would be near impossible for a judge not to put 'em up top. Great solo and a helluva line (and some pretty cool guys as well).

I thought the only year Troops used the split shells and matched grip was 1983. I'm going to have to look into that.

I took this pic. Trust me it is 1981 at DATR.

It's amazing what people know on this thread, thanks!

cavalierscherrycreek.jpg

Here's one titled Cavaliers at Cherry Creek

That's Bret Kuhn on the far left. :unhappy:

And I do believe that's MY head directly below the "L" in WOOLWORTH'S.

Edited by uncle z

A couple more up high. Bayonne prelims 1982

BTW, these were shot by Ed Ferguson.

bayonneprelims82.jpg

bayonneprelims82-2.jpg