some old corps photos

At the same time I'm professing much love for the '75 SCV drumline, I also have to give huge kudos for the '76 BD line. When I finally saw them in Boise on 1st tour with the North tenors, and the cool Air Force Academy looking blue short sleeve shirts, the look was very hip.

Devils3.jpg

This is a picture someone posted of the DATR show. What a great look, and more than anything, when corps stopped playing a concert chart where it was just about letting it all hang out, that was the start of many changes that took the soul away from the individual corps. The drumline cooked, and the plates, man you guys took it to another level during concert. West IS Best, without a doubt. We would all watch just to see if their plumes would touch the ground.. VERY cool to be that limber holding 24" and 26" cymbals. Overall one of my favorite all-time shows and drumlines.

That's my picture. I wish I had taken more than I did, but it was hard to concentrate on photography while experiencing that show. It was one of the rare ones, like 65 Royal Airs and 71 SC, that changed my mind about what was possible. I was mistaken if I ID'd this as DATR. Mile high didn't have back bleachers in 76, and that's not Denver in the background. I think this is Ft. Collins. Anyway, thanks for using my picture to remember 76 BD.

Correct - this is not Mile High Stadium. We had some success against BD in Denver. IIRC - it was their only loss in 1976. The blue short sleeve shirts did not do the corp justice. Once BD got their jackets, their "look" made you ask the question "who's coming in second."

Correct - this is not Mile High Stadium. We had some success against BD in Denver. IIRC - it was their only loss in 1976. The blue short sleeve shirts did not do the corp justice. Once BD got their jackets, their "look" made you ask the question "who's coming in second."

It could'a been worse....they could've worn what they did at that early season standstill....the one with DM Dave Dugan in the gorilla suit (literally!) It's been posted here before.

I found this photo on the Optimists Alumni website. At first I thought it was at Birchmount Stadium, the site of our show for many years, Scarborough Fair. I then realized Birchmount always had a soccer circle. Could it then be Kingston? 1977 Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optimists, people I grew up with :bigsmile:

77_Seneca_10.jpg

• Like 1

More on the personal side pictures from a Loooong time ago... '70

Sis 'n' Me

SCV70TheDufurGirls.jpg

Big Sis

SCV70CarolAnnDufur.jpg

Lil' Sis

SCV70MaggieBelleDufur.jpg

More on the personal side pictures from a Loooong time ago... '70

Lil' Sis

SCV70MaggieBelleDufur.jpg

Thanks for posting these. Boy do I remember waiting for the parade to start in a parking lot or a side street. Drum corps was really a family affair in those days. It was common to have two, three or four brothers and sisters in the corps. Couple of families in my corps come to mind; Williams (4), Gatwood (4), Eddy (3), Feldmen (3), Silva (3). There were others but I forget.

Edited by baja

I found this photo on the Optimists Alumni website. At first I thought it was at Birchmount Stadium, the site of our show for many years, Scarborough Fair. I then realized Birchmount always had a soccer circle. Could it then be Kingston? 1977 Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optimists, people I grew up with :bigsmile:

77_Seneca_10.jpg

My brother is in the shot somewhere under the parachute; it's possible I'm in the stands (hard to tell) but more likely under the stands doing something I shouldn't have been doing.

We didn't have a show in Kingston in 77 that I recall. We did one in Ottawa and one in Welland. All the rest in Canada were in the usual places around Toronto and Kitchener.

Regards,

John

Just noticed, no capes, so it's early season.

Edited by sarnia sam

the show in Ottawa was Canadian Nationals I believe,,,, and it was of course late in August.. Welland I can't vouch for,, I was there,, but ummmm,, don't remember much :(

the show in Ottawa was Canadian Nationals I believe,,,, and it was of course late in August.. Welland I can't vouch for,, I was there,, but ummmm,, don't remember much :(

Actually, the Ottawa show in 1977 was in July midway between first and second tours. At least the one we did. I think Nationals was in Toronto in 77; Birchmount stadiuim.

Regards,

John