some old corps photos

That's 1981, and the "pit" didn't exist yet. But some corps were starting to ground their players just like that. Spirit had a timp player and two concert keyboards, for instance.

Untitled-Scanned-46.jpg

Jees... look at the size of that drumline (even with a cymbal hole).... beauty!

It's 1984!

California Dons:

UNTITLED43.jpg

That's 1981, and the "pit" didn't exist yet.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what year the "pit" area was actually defined by rule; more of a comment on how the front ensemble has evolved since those early days. The use of horn cases as keyboard stands really points up how primitive things were back in the day. Those kids might still have backaches from bending over to play those things all summer long; they're easily 4 - 6 inches lower than the standard concert instruments in use today. Ouch!

regards,

Fred O.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what year the "pit" area was actually defined by rule; more of a comment on how the front ensemble has evolved since those early days.

1982. Check it:

Untitled-Scanned-37.jpg

That's our friends the Saginaires, keeping their junk out of the pit so you can see the clearly-defined 20 yard box painted down front of the sideline.

1982. Check it:

Untitled-Scanned-37.jpg

That's our friends the Saginaires, keeping their junk out of the pit so you can see the clearly-defined 20 yard box painted down front of the sideline.

Thanks for the fyi. Look at that 5 member marching timpani section. Those were the days!

Edited by drumno5

Thanks for the fyi. Look at that a 5 member marching timpani section. Those were the days!

And a corps that size couldn't even crack the top 25.

Long story short, I was a guard tech during non summer months from 71 to mid 80's for the following corps - Alberta All Girls A, Alberta All Girls B, Dutch Boy Cadets, Guelph Opti-Knights, K-W Flying Dutchmen, Oakland Crusaders, Optimist Lancers/Lancer Cadets, Scarborough Firefighters/Seneca Princemen, Sparkies/Scarborough Knights and Ventures.

1972 Seneca Princemen at Ivor Wynne Stadium courtesy of Optimists Alumni website. The DM in front of the tymps is me. I'm proud of our drum corps. No plumes usually meant it was raining ;-)

1972Princemen20.jpg

1970troop.jpg

1970 Troopers. Manning Bowl. "Battle Hymn."

'Nuff said.

What is the flag story back there? Are those ALL affiliated flags or are some of them just block color silks?