some old corps photos

And the Timps played "Smoke On The Water" too.

Long story short, I was a guard tech during non summer months from 71 to mid 80's for the following corps - Alberta All Girls A, Alberta All Girls B, Dutch Boy Cadets, Guelph Opti-Knights, K-W Flying Dutchmen, Oakland Crusaders, Optimist Lancers/Lancer Cadets, Scarborough Firefighters/Seneca Princemen, Sparkies/Scarborough Knights and Ventures.

1972 Seneca Princemen at Ivor Wynne Stadium courtesy of Optimists Alumni website. The DM in front of the tymps is me. I'm proud of our drum corps. No plumes usually meant it was raining ;-)

1972Princemen20.jpg

And the Timps played "Smoke On The Water" too.

The Highland Creek Trumpet Band was founded in 1961; name was changed to Scarborough Firefighters Drum and Bugle Corps in 1966. During the winter of 71-72 we were named Scarborough Princemen. An excerpt from a June 1972 program (with a few spelling issues;)

"1972 finds the Princemen presenting another show of top calibre, featuring music guaranteed to set your pulse racing. The opening segment has appropriately been named Scarborough Fair. It features such tunes as The Circus March, Talk to the Animals, Tavern In the Town, Consider Yourself at Home and of course, Scarborough Fair. Concert is a medley of vintage Beatles tunes. A fitting tribute to this group, who just this year announced that they are disbanding. You will have no difficulty recognizing the fine arrangements of Ray Baumgarten (sp) in these two segments.

Colour Presentation represents the plea of the "Now Generation" for universal peace. Corky Fabrezio (sp) has done an excellent job of transfering this prayerful thought to music with a beautiful blending of Bridge Over Trouble Water and Let It Be. Princemen put you back in a real swinging mood as they give you a new look for an old favourite. Your toes will be tapping even before you realize that this is none other than Greensleeves."

In August 1972, we were sponsored by Seneca College and became Seneca Princemen, 2 corps names in 1 year. I also have a number of our corps newsletters, K-9 Capers and Princemen Papers. As for the Timps playing "Smoke On The Water"? I'm not sure. You may want to ask A Cavalier TDY. He's one of the timps.

edit: concert was a medley of Hey Jude/Something/Norwegian Wood, difficult to conduct as DM yet wonderful to listen to. I wish there was a recording.

Edited by lindap

We were at the Princemen home show in 72 or 73 at the college and they brought the corps out with "Smoke on the Water."

The Highland Creek Trumpet Band was founded in 1961; name was changed to Scarborough Firefighters Drum and Bugle Corps in 1966. During the winter of 71-72 we were named Scarborough Princemen. An excerpt from a June 1972 program (with a few spelling issues;)

"1972 finds the Princemen presenting another show of top calibre, featuring music guaranteed to set your pulse racing. The opening segment has appropriately been named Scarborough Fair. It features such tunes as The Circus March, Talk to the Animals, Tavern In the Town, Consider Yourself at Home and of course, Scarborough Fair. Concert is a medley of vintage Beatles tunes. A fitting tribute to this group, who just this year announced that they are disbanding. You will have no difficulty recognizing the fine arrangements of Ray Baumgarten (sp) in these two segments.

Colour Presentation represents the plea of the "Now Generation" for universal peace. Corky Fabrezio (sp) has done an excellent job of transfering this prayerful thought to music with a beautiful blending of Bridge Over Trouble Water and Let It Be. Princemen put you back in a real swinging mood as they give you a new look for an old favourite. Your toes will be tapping even before you realize that this is none other than Greensleeves."

In August 1972, we were sponsored by Seneca College and became Seneca Princemen, 2 corps names in 1 year. I also have a number of our corps newsletters, K-9 Capers and Princemen Papers. As for the Timps playing "Smoke On The Water"? I'm not sure. You may want to ask A Cavalier TDY. He's one of the timps.

edit: concert was a medley of Hey Jude/Something/Norwegian Wood, difficult to conduct as DM yet wonderful to listen to. I wish there was a recording.

We were at the Princemen home show in 72 or 73 at the college and they brought the corps out with "Smoke on the Water."

You might be right. 1972 was a rebuilding year, second year in Junior A. A 1972 program photo of Scarborough Firefighters 1971 with an awesome drum line. edit: right side sabre is Dawn, co-dm for Seneca Optimists 1976, Dave is on triples beside Randy, Susan far left flag who's Nancy's sister...l-r snares are Paul, Rod, Bruce, Jim and the tenors are Dave, Dave and Bob. One of this line was a drum corps director. Good times!

1971-sf.jpg

Edited by lindap

What is the flag story back there? Are those ALL affiliated flags or are some of them just block color silks?

bitd, instead of carrying monochromatic, or schemed colors, guards carried banners that had a significance to the corps. You not only carried sponsors banners, but also silks from championships, affiliations etc. What you would do also, is carry those banners associated with the show you were marching in. For ex. if you were marching the AL nat'ls and you had an Orange Championship banner, you'd carry it. Those with multiple championships would show off all their championship banners.

IOW, the banners usually meant something.

I just want to say again how awesome this topic is. Been watching it for years. After digging around some old boxes this past weekend I found some old drum corp photo's of both Cavaliers and Suncoast (my wife marched). I just need to spend time to scan them.

Carry on...

Since it's 1985...

Suncoast.

UNTITLED-SCANNED-03.jpg

VK.

UNTITLED-SCANNED-02.jpg

27 at Whitewater.

UNTITLED53.jpg