some old corps photos

Here is a great picture of the Defenders in 1977 at CYO Nationals. We were on second or third, in the daylight obviously, and look at the crowd.

78HFD.JPG

Here is a great picture of the Defenders in 1977 at CYO Nationals. We were on second or third, in the daylight obviously, and look at the crowd.

78HFD.JPG

Those are the kind of crowds I remember/liked to see! Corner-to-corner packed houses.

Awesome shot.

• Like 1

Here's a newspaper shot of 1977 AAG rehearsing in Enfield England.

77-drum1-rehearsal.jpg

Thanks for the pic Linda. I remember that night rehearsing at Bramley House very well. There were probably 3 doors to enter the dining room, where we were rehearsing. Mike Whitney (our instructor) had just lectured us about being distracted and looking around at things. I was standing right in front of one of the doors. At one point someone was trying to get in and the doorknob hit me in the back. That hurt and scared me at the same time so I turned around.

Well, Mike wasn't happy about that and let me know in no uncertain terms. Turned out it was the photographer trying to get in to the room to take photos.

I saw Mike at a reunion in the late 80's. He mentioned what happened that night. I always felt badly about it, and I don't think Mike ever knew what it was that distracted me.

Dee, You are very welcome.

I'll bet there are more Eye-Openers photos out there. I'll take a second look and no doubt so will everyone else that frequents this thread.

Tell us about your corps, I know nothing about them. The origin of the name, years fielded, music, etc.

Thanks

To be honest, I don't know most of that information, but my father may know more and I will ask him. I was in the corps from age 7 to 9. And as I have said, due to a car accident, I have lost a lot of my memories. I do remember the night we left to go to Denver in '77. We met behind the Sears in the Marshalltown, IA Mall. It was dark and creepy and I was excited and tired all at the same time. I have glimpses of stops with people jumping off the bus and running to bathrooms. I remember one instance where the girl didn't make it.

I also remember sleeping in the gym at Nationals in Denver, CO with a huge curtain down the middle for the boys on one side and the girls on the other. I remember going to the stadium and having to sit up high at one point. What I dislike the most is I only remember 3 times of actually performing. Once at the home in State Center, IA, in a parade that was 5 miles long, and the night we had competition in Marshalltown, IA for the the Championship we had won. I was the one who guarded the American Flag and that night we had three flags instead of two to guard. I wish I could remember more, but I don't. I believe I am in that picture that was posted, but I am not 100% for sure. I so wish I could remember more.

Dee

Thanks for the pic Linda. I remember that night rehearsing at Bramley House very well. There were probably 3 doors to enter the dining room, where we were rehearsing. Mike Whitney (our instructor) had just lectured us about being distracted and looking around at things. I was standing right in front of one of the doors. At one point someone was trying to get in and the doorknob hit me in the back. That hurt and scared me at the same time so I turned around.

Well, Mike wasn't happy about that and let me know in no uncertain terms. Turned out it was the photographer trying to get in to the room to take photos.

I saw Mike at a reunion in the late 80's. He mentioned what happened that night. I always felt badly about it, and I don't think Mike ever knew what it was that distracted me.

Hi DL. Great to ‘see’ you here! Both the photographer and Mike owe you an apology by the way. 1977 10 week tour was incredible; we took the good with the bad. We had a few indoor rehearsals in the hall early July, due to noise and boys. The horns may have been in sectionals in various rooms in Bramley. Pam and I were probably working with the guard in the backyard amongst the roses. On July 8, 1977 we started practising on the grounds of Forty Hall. It was a nice park.

I remember you and the other 5 snare drummers tuning your own drums, Mike helped tune the rest of the drums and often helped load the truck. Did we bring along enough drum heads? It was a 10 week tour but the drum line didn’t replace their drum heads that often?

Here’s a photo of Bramley’s backyard I took from the 3rd floor of the hall when The Blues performed for us on July 26, 1977.

1977-bramley-50.jpg

To be honest, I don't know most of that information, but my father may know more and I will ask him. I was in the corps from age 7 to 9. And as I have said, due to a car accident, I have lost a lot of my memories. I do remember the night we left to go to Denver in '77. We met behind the Sears in the Marshalltown, IA Mall. It was dark and creepy and I was excited and tired all at the same time. I have glimpses of stops with people jumping off the bus and running to bathrooms. I remember one instance where the girl didn't make it.

I also remember sleeping in the gym at Nationals in Denver, CO with a huge curtain down the middle for the boys on one side and the girls on the other. I remember going to the stadium and having to sit up high at one point. What I dislike the most is I only remember 3 times of actually performing. Once at the home in State Center, IA, in a parade that was 5 miles long, and the night we had competition in Marshalltown, IA for the the Championship we had won. I was the one who guarded the American Flag and that night we had three flags instead of two to guard. I wish I could remember more, but I don't. I believe I am in that picture that was posted, but I am not 100% for sure. I so wish I could remember more.

Dee

Here is the article about the eye-openers.

eyeopeners.png

Edited by baja

Here is the article about the eye-openers.

eyeopeners.png

Nice ... John Simpson on brass ... not too shabby ... guess there's a lot of corps from that area he taught that we don't know of ...

:-)

Hi DL. Great to 'see' you here! Both the photographer and Mike owe you an apology by the way. 1977 10 week tour was incredible; we took the good with the bad. We had a few indoor rehearsals in the hall early July, due to noise and boys. The horns may have been in sectionals in various rooms in Bramley. Pam and I were probably working with the guard in the backyard amongst the roses. On July 8, 1977 we started practising on the grounds of Forty Hall. It was a nice park.

I remember you and the other 5 snare drummers tuning your own drums, Mike helped tune the rest of the drums and often helped load the truck. Did we bring along enough drum heads? It was a 10 week tour but the drum line didn't replace their drum heads that often?

Didn't we also rehearse at the golf course that was close to Bramley? Seems to me we did that a few times. I don't recall how many drum heads we went through, there must have been enough though.

I'm loving all these pictures in this thread, so many photos of drum corps from everywhere. Very nice to see. Thanks to everyone who posted them.

All my pictures from Europe in '77 were destroyed 11 years ago. I have the negatives and a negative converter. But many of the negatives are so scratched that they look like...well...not so good. They're also from 110 film, the one place that I've found that does do prints from them want $4.99 for each print! So I'll have to be happy with the bad quality that I've got from the converter.

Didn't we also rehearse at the golf course that was close to Bramley? Seems to me we did that a few times. I don't recall how many drum heads we went through, there must have been enough though.

I'm loving all these pictures in this thread, so many photos of drum corps from everywhere. Very nice to see. Thanks to everyone who posted them.

All my pictures from Europe in '77 were destroyed 11 years ago. I have the negatives and a negative converter. But many of the negatives are so scratched that they look like...well...not so good. They're also from 110 film, the one place that I've found that does do prints from them want $4.99 for each print! So I'll have to be happy with the bad quality that I've got from the converter.

A picture is worth a thousand words and as many memories even a scratched one. Do us all a favor and scan those negatives and share them here. Please