some old corps photos

Pain. I see pain within pain. :worthy:

I'm pretty sure the guy who designed marching timps and bass drum size "triples" back in the day NEVER marched a 5 mile parade CARRYING those sob!!!!!!!!!!!! While we are at it who's great idea was it to wrap STEEL around a wood drum shell???? You are now carrying TWO drums one wood one steel and WITHOUT carriers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My back still hurts.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the guy who designed marching timps and bass drum size "triples" back in the day NEVER marched a 5 mile parade CARRYING those sob!!!!!!!!!!!! While we are at it who's great idea was it to wrap STEEL around a wood drum shell???? You are now carrying TWO drums one wood one steel and WITHOUT carriers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My back still hurts.

What drums had steel wrapped over wood??

I hear a lot of people complain about the heavy drums back in the day, but I carried a 29" tymp when I was 115lbs and had worse back problems carrying a set of rotos with no shells at all. It was all about leverage. My back is just fine 30 years later, but maybe I was just lucky. Stretching before carrying helped a lot. I actually feel more stress carrying a modern set of quads.

What drums had steel wrapped over wood??

The chrome wrap on 70s era Slingerlands and Ludwigs was actual chrome-plated steel over the regular 5-ply wood shell. I've stripped several of them over the years to do re-wraps - my guess is that the steel wrap only added a pound or maybe a pound and a half. No biggee.

Edited by mobrien

That it is! What do you know? I'm a star ...

Thanks Linda.

P.S. Is that John Phillips on the 55 yard line? Sorry ... the photo was taken in Hamilton, Ontario and our football fields are 10 yards longer.

You are a star and John is a star amongst the many stars I've met throughout my drum corps and winter guard days :D Hugs!

• 2 weeks later...